Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Good Report on HP Service for the Z3100  (Read 2890 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
A Good Report on HP Service for the Z3100
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:07:47 pm »

Thought I would pass along a somewhat good report on HP service here in the USA, although the update to the initial report got me a bit riled..

I had given Chuck high marks before on this forum and I was lucky enough to get a hold of him again this time.

I have been printing on mostly Pro Satin 24" rolls until yesterday, when I needed to get a bunch of prints ready for a show. I set up 20 feet worth of prints on 44" Pro Satin paper and let the Z3100 do its thing.

When I inspected the prints a couple of hours later...Yikes! Two problems.

1) about 29" from the right margin, there were a series of "punch marks" every 3.75" apart about the size of a pin head running down the entire 20". Looks like a pizza wheel has a spur and was almost punching holes through the paper from the bottom. Looked like small bumps on the ink side that made the prints unuseable. I never saw this before because the problem wheel was outside the paper path for 24" rolls that I had been using.

2) Then, vertical marks on the paper near the center where the curve of the paper had hit those silly upper guides on the exit paper path. Who designed those? There were two double trails about 6" apart that matched perfectly with the guides. The prints were doubly trashed.

I had reported problem #2 to Chuck back in March when I had just gotten the printer and was printing on the sample glossy roll that came on a 2" core. We agreed that paper at the end of a 2" roll was too tightly curled and probably would be a problem. We also agreed that since most of HP's pro papers came on 3" cores, that it probably would not be an issue. He also reported that HP knew there was a problem and was working on a solution.

I had not seen the guide marks on any of my prints on the 24" rolls of Pro Satin, so I'm not sure why they appeared so prominately on the 44" paper.

So today, Chuck listens to my story for about 3 minutes and then leaves me on hold for about 3 more and returns to tell me that HP has redesigned the pizza wheel mechanism (twice) to reduce the tension on the paper and that the exit platen had been redesigned to eliminate the crease between metal and plastic where the leading edge of the roll paper sometimes catches on the way out of the printer causing the paper to be forced up into those "silly little guides".

He scheduled a field tech to come out here on Monday to replace both parts. No hassles, just quick great service. Total call time, about 15 minutes. He also sent me a free ink cartridge for the paper wasted.

The bad news is that today was Chuck's last day with HP. He is moving on to another job. He seems to be the only one in USA support that knows the printer. He is also the only one who has actually disassembled and reassembled a Z3100 printer so he knows it inside and out. I dread the next time I have to call support. I asked Chuck to tell me who I should ask for and he couldn't recommend anyone. How sad!!!

Jim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:39:55 pm by Jim Cole »
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:40:31 pm »

UPDATE: The tech showed up today (Tuesday) and replaced both parts. My call on Friday had been to late to get one here on Monday. After running the prints again, we saw the same problems... streaks and small bumps.

Hmmm... we pulled the 44" roll of Pro Satin off the printer and the streaking was obvious on the un-printed paper. However, we couldn't find the bumps that were so consistent on the prints. It appears that I have a defective roll of paper and that the streaks were not caused by pizza wheels or exit guides. We are assuming that the bumps are caused by some defect in the coating which only show up after the ink hits the paper.

At least I have the latest pizzawheel assembly and lower platen, which appeared not to be the problem in the first place. We won't know until HP ships a replacement roll of paper and I have a chance to test it.

I feel a bit better that the problem seems to be entirely with the paper and not the printer.

Now, this was the only pain in the butt part. The tech said she couldn't order the replacement paper because it is a consumable, not a part. She told me to call the tech support people and get them to do it.

Well, they can't either because they do not have access to the 44" paper and even if they did, Nick said the order would probably get lost in a black hole since they are not supposed to send out paper. His suggestion was that I buy another roll and he would send me the equivalent value in ink and print heads. I didn't find this acceptable, so he told me to call the the HP Small Business Division where I had originally ordered the paper and have them replace it.

OK, now I'm getting a bit PO'd with all the phone calls that should have been handled by the tech. The Small Business guy, Arturo, calmly asked me to take pictures of the defective paper and send them to him so he could start a case. "What!", I said. "I can give you the Tech's name who was just here and she can confirm the defective paper."  

He insisted on the photographs. I told him that the defects can be plainly seen when the angle of the light is right, but it would be hard to photograph. I offered to send him the remainder of the defective roll. "No", he said, "we need the pictures."

I offered to FedEx a print to him so he could see the defects first hand. "No", he said, "We really need the photos". At this point I was getting a bit preturbed that I had to spend more time proving the defect when a phone call to the field tech would have sufficed. He began to detect my frustration and said he would go ahead and ship the replacement paper out overnight and await the photo when I could get them to him.

Summary:

It took 15 minutes to set up a field tech visit (who drove 2 1/2 hours to get here from Phoenix) - Quick and Easy - Great Customer Service

One hour for her to replace the parts and run a test print - Quick and Easy - Great Customer Service

and, over an hour and a half making phone calls to get a roll of paper replaced - Pain in the Butt and not well done!

I have sent the photos of the defective paper to Arturo (took about 30 minutes to get some that showed the problems) and I will update this after I get the replacement paper and hopefully see no more streaks or bumbs.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:47:40 pm by Jim Cole »
Jim Cole

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:36:56 pm »

2nd UPDATE

We discovered that there were actually two problems.

1st was defective paper which showed the striping.

2nd was the Media Advance Roller that had a defect (a small bump on the surface) that was causing the small bumps in the 44" paper. I could feel it with my finger when I pressed the paper cut button which caused the roller to spin.

I talked with the field tech yesterday to confirm the part that she needed to order and she called this morning to confirm another drive up from Phoenix today. While she was on the way, two parts packages from HP showed up, neither of which contained the 44" Media Advance Roller. Jen arrives to find out she cannot do anything, gets on the phone and makes sure the correct part is ordered for Monday delivery. She gets back in her car and starts the 2 1/2 hour drive back to Phoenix.

The replacement roll of 44" Pro Satin just showed up at my door a few minutes ago.

Testing will await  the tech to come back up from Phoenix on Monday to replace the roller.

The good news is that at least I can print anything up to about 28" wide until the roller is replaced.

The saga continues. I have now been unable to print on 44" paper for 9 days.

At least HP are trying. By the way, the field tech, Jennifer, actually goes to training for the Z3100 next month. She never saw one until yesterday.
Jim Cole

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:01:21 pm »

3rd UPDATE

The HP tech (Robert) was out yesterday (Tuesday May 22) and replaced the Media Advance Roller. It was a 3 1/2 hour job as a lot of the printer needed to be disassembled to change it out. Robert had actually been trained on the Z3100 series and had already done a few calls to handle issues with it. He definitely knew his way around the printer.

The new roller solved the issue with the punch marks in the paper, but the replacement roll of 44" Pro Satin showed the same streaks on the coating as the first. There appears to be a manufacturing issue with the 44" rolls, at least on the first production run.

Anyway, the bottom line for HP field service is a good rating as far as response time. It would have been excellent if the first tech sent out had been properly trained on the Z3100 and if she had ordered the right part for the second trip out. The third time was a charm with a properly trained field tech.

The paper issue is now the big deal as I have a show I'm trying to prepare for and I need the Pro Satin for some 40" prints. I may have to settle for some 23x30s.

The paper issue will be followed up on the thread "HP Pro Satin - Bad 44" Roll"

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=16983

Jim
Jim Cole
Pages: [1]   Go Up