Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eos 5D, usb connection and Lightroom  (Read 3556 times)

dogville

Eos 5D, usb connection and Lightroom
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:22:22 pm »

Before anything, it's my first post so, hello to everybody.

I bought a canon eos 5D a couple of days ago. I don't know why but I can't import the raw files from the usb connection plugged to the camera. When I press the eos 5D button  from the import dialogue, the lightroom says "no files were found to import". Everything works perfect with an external reader but I do want to import them via usb. I don't want to be removing the card too often.
Can anybody help me or guide me to a possible solution?. Zoombrowser works fine and imports without problem. I love lightroom and don't understand why I can't import from the camera via usb to the programe. It's strange but it doesn't happen with jpg files. With those, I got no problem.

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:27:05 pm by dogville »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 05:35:06 pm »

Known issue. . .it's a problem with mounting the camera as a device. Use a card reader (safer and better anyway).

dogville

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 05:58:48 pm »

Known issue. . .it's a problem with mounting the camera as a device. Use a card reader (safer and better anyway).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Why do you consider it is better and safer?, what are the advantages against the connection to the camera via usb?. What happens if you break one of the pins of the camera with so much in and out of the card?.

thanks so much

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:06:36 pm »

What happens if you break one of the pins of the camera with so much in and out of the card?.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're kidding, right?

The card slot is MUCH more robust than the mini-USB connection. By far. Also, as you've found out, there are "issues" with trying to mount a camera...you're on XP? I think there's supposed to be some fix coming from Canon but in the meantime you have to rely upon the camera company if you are connecting a camera via USB or FireWire. Far better to pull the card and use a card reader...faster too.

dogville

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:27:35 pm »

You're kidding, right?

The card slot is MUCH more robust than the mini-USB connection. By far. Also, as you've found out, there are "issues" with trying to mount a camera...you're on XP? I think there's supposed to be some fix coming from Canon but in the meantime you have to rely upon the camera company if you are connecting a camera via USB or FireWire. Far better to pull the card and use a card reader...faster too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the information. I thought the card-slot was not that robust.

thanks  

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 06:36:44 pm »

The card slot on a camera is very robust and there is very little play (meaning the guides do not flex) when inserting a card. For the pins to bend, the thing would have to be very noticeably flimsy.

Additionally, you will get faster transfer times using a good card reader and for the fastest transfers you want to use a FireWire connection if possible.

dogville

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 06:32:21 pm »

The card slot on a camera is very robust and there is very little play (meaning the guides do not flex) when inserting a card. For the pins to bend, the thing would have to be very noticeably flimsy.

Additionally, you will get faster transfer times using a good card reader and for the fastest transfers you want to use a FireWire connection if possible.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are there differences among card readers?  
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:32:54 pm by dogville »

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:39:41 pm »

Are there differences among card readers?   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Among brands or types?

There are USB, USB 2 and FireWire...of those, FireWire are the fastest (faster than USB 2 or II). There are also "Express PC" (the newer version of the PCMCA type cardbus) readers...but they're a bit whacky (and won't work if you don't have an Express bus slot).

As far as "brands", the majors like Lexar, SanDisk, etc are all pretty much the same-they are primarily commodity prices components...stay away from really, really no-name cheapos though.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 07:07:07 pm »

The fastest are the Firewire readers (FireWire is a better connection tech than USB for high-bandwith uses). USB readers vary in performance quite a bit but like Jeff mentioned, if you stick with a name-brand you should be fine. I have the Sandisk Extreme IV USB for my SD cards which is one of the faster USB readers. For my CF cards I use Lexars older FireWire reader creatively titled, "FireWire CompactFlash Reader."

You can see a table of card and card readers at Rob Galbraith's site.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 07:07:54 pm by 61Dynamic »
Pages: [1]   Go Up