Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!  (Read 58542 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2007, 08:40:39 pm »

But as for "per document settings" versus "application wide settings", I'm with Mark on what I would rather see. I just wish that choice could be built into the preferences somehow so each of us could have it work the way we want.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116257\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, no...if you look at the way Lightroom handles presets you'll see the way per doc will go. Being able to save a variety of settings based on printer, paper and CM would be very useful and tagging an image with print settings and save will also be useful particularly if one could save multiple presets.

You may not always know or understand _WHY_ the Photoshop engineers do something...but they don't do _ANYTHING_ without good reason and in the vast majority of cases, they are right-that's my experience anyway.

Sometimes it upsets some people...they understand that. But for the benefit of the totality of Photoshop and its user base, sometimes they have to do something that makes things just a little more difficult (or different)...generally when they do that they are even more motivated to do something else that's really nice for users. Kinda spreading around both the pain & pleasure.

The Photoshop engineering culture (and now by extension Lightroom) is really tough for people outside of Adobe to understand...heck, it's sometimes hard even for Adobe to understand. Michael has met a lot of the engineers including spending a lot of time with Thomas Knoll and interviewing Mark Hamburg. Most people simply don't comprehend just how fanatical they are about making what they work on the absolutely best they can. The only think I can compare it to is the drive for excellence and competitive nature of pro athletes. Michael Jordan, back when he was on the Bulls had a clause in his contract that unlike most athletes allowed him to play basketball anytime and anywhere and the Bull paid for the insurance to allow that. It was called the "for the love of the game" clause.

And while you may not believe it (anybody who HAS met any of these guys will) they do this stuff, day in and day out, for the love of the game. And...they are the super stars of digital imaging. You should see the people who apply to become an engineer at Adobe. They are the brightest and best because they want to work on Photoshop. Some of them can be a little, uh, uncivilized (or should I say un-socialized) and they can be curt and even rude at times...they don't mean anything by it. But the Photoshop engineers really do eat, drink and even poop Photoshop.

You should meet some of their wives...I have a deal with Ann Hamburg (Mark's wife)...If I come over to the house for a visit or dinner, the deal is, fully one half (1/2) of the conversation MUST be about ANYTHING other than Photoshop (or now Lightroom) or I don't get invited back. Fortunately, she only keeps track of the %'s in a "general way". I'm still welcome...

:~)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:44:30 pm by Schewe »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2007, 08:45:55 pm »

If you had the beta on your system beforehand, did you just uninstall the beta and then install the shipping version - or did you also run the Clean Script for your OS after uninstalling??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Check my earlier postings from May3rd. No, I did a clean install which worked perfectly for a few days, got me through a couple of jobs before Bridge started screwing up royally this morning.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:49:05 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2007, 09:29:52 pm »

Check my earlier postings from May3rd. No, I did a clean install which worked perfectly for a few days, got me through a couple of jobs before Bridge started screwing up royally this morning.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kirk, not sure what this tells Carol. I just went back to your May 3 post. You say you "followed the instructions" and it all went well - fine. Specifically which ones? Did you or did you not use the CleanScript tool? Are you on Windows or Mac? You also say your computer was giving you problems with both CS2 and CS3 Beta. If that's the case it would seem the problems you started facing this morning (not clear what they are  - you didn't specify) may have more to do with your computer, not with Photoshop. What do you think?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2007, 09:41:17 pm »

Actually, no...if you look at the way Lightroom handles presets you'll see the way per doc will go. Being able to save a variety of settings based on printer, paper and CM would be very useful and tagging an image with print settings and save will also be useful particularly if one could save multiple presets.
That sounds like a very useful approach. When we have multiple presets, I'm willing to put some effort into changing my workflow.    

You may not always know or understand _WHY_ the Photoshop engineers do something...but they don't do _ANYTHING_ without good reason and in the vast majority of cases, they are right-that's my experience anyway.

Sometimes it upsets some people...they understand that. But for the benefit of the totality of Photoshop and its user base, sometimes they have to do something that makes things just a little more difficult (or different)...generally when they do that they are even more motivated to do something else that's really nice for users. Kinda spreading around both the pain & pleasure.

The Photoshop engineering culture (and now by extension Lightroom) is really tough for people outside of Adobe to understand...heck, it's sometimes hard even for Adobe to understand. Michael has met a lot of the engineers including spending a lot of time with Thomas Knoll and interviewing Mark Hamburg. Most people simply don't comprehend just how fanatical they are about making what they work on the absolutely best they can. The only think I can compare it to is the drive for excellence and competitive nature of pro athletes. Michael Jordan, back when he was on the Bulls had a clause in his contract that unlike most athletes allowed him to play basketball anytime and anywhere and the Bull paid for the insurance to allow that. It was called the "for the love of the game" clause.

And while you may not believe it (anybody who HAS met any of these guys will) they do this stuff, day in and day out, for the love of the game. And...they are the super stars of digital imaging. You should see the people who apply to become an engineer at Adobe. They are the brightest and best because they want to work on Photoshop. Some of them can be a little, uh, uncivilized (or should I say un-socialized) and they can be curt and even rude at times...they don't mean anything by it. But the Photoshop engineers really do eat, drink and even poop Photoshop.

You should meet some of their wives...I have a deal with Ann Hamburg (Mark's wife)...If I come over to the house for a visit or dinner, the deal is, fully one half (1/2) of the conversation MUST be about ANYTHING other than Photoshop (or now Lightroom) or I don't get invited back. Fortunately, she only keeps track of the %'s in a "general way". I'm still welcome...

:~)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Seeing Bruce Frasier in action at a workshop gave me a little taste of what these guys must be like. I am indeed impressed with what they are able to do. Since PS6 I have been astonished that PS has always seemed to be much more stable than the underlying OS (in my case, varieties of Windows). It sounds as if that is still true with CS3 and Vista ("read-only margin settings," indeed!     )

Again, thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this project.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2007, 10:11:27 pm »

Ok Mark, I'm on my way to Chicago so I need to make this quick.

My answers were confusing I grant you. This is spread over two threads. Sorry. I have both PC and MacBook Pro. Previously Bridge CS2 sucked, crashed slow etc, but on a different PC. New PC with XP, Bridge CS3 worked fine but painfully slow at generating thumbnails etc.-generally accepted problems on PCs.

Remove Beta-I used script on MBP no problem. I followed instruction on both to the letter. Problem is on PC. It worked perfectly for three days, PS still works perfectly. LR works perfectly. Up to 2am last night fine, screaming fast. This morning Bridge won't load. I reinstall and now PC crashes every time I try to load Bridge. Everything else works fine including PS. Reinstalled a couple of times from download-doesn't help. I am not only person having problems with this. As Jeff and Digitaldog have commented.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2007, 10:40:39 pm »

My answers were confusing I grant you. This is spread over two threads. Sorry. I have both PC and MacBook Pro. Previously Bridge CS2 sucked, crashed slow etc, but on a different PC. New PC with XP, Bridge CS3 worked fine but painfully slow at generating thumbnails etc.-generally accepted problems on PCs.

Remove Beta-I used script on MBP no problem. I followed instruction on both to the letter. Problem is on PC. It worked perfectly for three days, PS still works perfectly. LR works perfectly. Up to 2am last night fine, screaming fast. This morning Bridge won't load. I reinstall and now PC crashes every time I try to load Bridge. Everything else works fine including PS. Reinstalled a couple of times from download-doesn't help. I am not only person having problems with this. As Jeff and Digitaldog have commented.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kirk - not sure how "generally accepted" a problem Bridge thumbnail generation is on a PC. On my PC it works pretty darn fast. I'm using an Intel Core Duo Xeon 5160 (3 GHz processor) with 4 GB of RAM (only 2 really work because of the 32-bit OS constraint) in a Dell Precision 690 Workstation. I've also had the no-start problem with Bridge, but it came back after rebooting the computer. As I was saying previously, it seems there is something in there that doesn't like some other application or function of the O/S, but God only knows how much work to sleuth it. Meanwhile continuing to use the latest version of Bridge for CS2 is both fast and safe. This is something I hope the folks at Adobe are looking into. Sorry it has given you such pain.

paulbk

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2007, 08:31:17 pm »

re: center print CS3

On my Epson 4000 (driver v 5.52), Print Area MAXIMUM is only available if Plain Paper is selected. Not available for any art paper.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2007, 09:14:03 pm »

re: center print CS3

On my Epson 4000 (driver v 5.52), Print Area MAXIMUM is only available if Plain Paper is selected. Not available for any art paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116477\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul this is strange because I once owned a 4000 and at that time the driver clearly allowed one to select Maximum using Enhanced Matte paper (and others). Perhaps you should call Epson and ask them if they have a previous version for the 4000 which supports Maximum print area for use in CS3 with photo papers, or indeed whether they are planning to produce revised drivers that work-around the new complications with CS3.

Carol

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2007, 09:23:47 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not having the problem of painfully slow generation of thumbnails on my PC system Kirk (Intel Core Duo E6700 2.67Ghz/4Gb RAM/Windows XP x64 Pro).  They appear virtually instananeously when Thumbnails are set to 'Convert to HQ when previewed' and are no slouch when set to 'HQ' - coming in at roughly 2.5 to 3 per sec.

As this is a new PC which hasn't had the beta on, it obviously cannot be remnants of the beta causing problems.  Does this crash occur if you load Bridge on its own??  Do you have any other applications running at the same time (MS Word/Excel etc)??  There have apparently been a few reports that MS Word interferes with launching Bridge, but I haven't seen this on my system (but then I'm using a much older version of Office).

Have you tried the Adobe User 2 User Forums where some of the engineers sometimes visit??
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:1

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2007, 09:52:08 pm »

There have apparently been a few reports that MS Word interferes with launching Bridge, but I haven't seen this on my system (but then I'm using a much older version of Office).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thinking this may be the gem of knowledge that de-mystifies the launch issue, I'm on Office 2003 Professional Edition, so I am now launching MSWord to see whether it prevents Bridge from launching. Nope - Bridge launched. So I still don't know why it periodically fails to launch.

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2007, 10:23:26 pm »

I'm not having the problem of painfully slow generation of thumbnails on my PC system Kirk (Intel Core Duo E6700 2.67Ghz/4Gb RAM/Windows XP x64 Pro).
I was talking about slow loads on Bridge CS2 not Bridge CS3. BCS3 was screaming right up to meltdown. Cannot get it to load even after numerous reinstalls. Did not try just installing Bridge. Nothing else was running.

I am in Chicago for awhile at SAIC doing final critics and do not have access to the PC with Bridge problems.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:32:50 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2007, 11:08:32 pm »

There seems to be an issue using MSFT's Intellamouse 6.1 driver that is causing all sorts of CS3 problems on Win. Rolling back to driver 5.5 (or whatever was before 6) resolves the issue. Adobe & MSFT are aware and working in it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2007, 08:59:10 am »

There seems to be an issue using MSFT's Intellamouse 6.1 driver that is causing all sorts of CS3 problems on Win. Rolling back to driver 5.5 (or whatever was before 6) resolves the issue. Adobe & MSFT are aware and working in it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jeff,

While that could be part of the problem, it may not be all. I say this because I don't use an MSFT Intellamouse (those mice aren't intelligent enough for me   ). I'm using a Kensington Pro Optical Track Ball with its own software/driver and I have had a couple of instances where Bridge simply refused to load unless I restarted the computer. [Not impossible, perhaps this driver has something in common with the MSFT driver - yet another angle]. Anyhow, I thought this may be of interest if you are in a position to pass it along to those you may know of working on this issue. Could mean one also needs to look further for the causes.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2007, 01:33:47 pm »

Bridge CS3 departs from Bridge CS2 in how it organizes thumbnails. If you use colour labels for sorting images and you label some images but not others, in CS2 by default (and there was no user option) if you select to sort by label, all the labelled thumbnails come first, and the non-labelled ones follow. In CS3 (at least on my WinXP computer) it is the reverse and I have failed to find an option for changing it. I think this kind of a regression, because, for example, one of the key reasons to label certain images is to prioritize them viz a viz the remainder, so one wonders why the prioritized ones should follow the non-selected one. Sounds trivial, but with a folder containing many images, not too many of which are selected, it means scrolling through the unwanted to get to the wanted. Maybe the solution in Bridge CS3 is to label the trash and leave the good stuff unmarked! But if you have multi-purpose labelling conventions, that wouldn't cut it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 01:35:13 pm by MarkDS »

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

Bridge CS3 departs from Bridge CS2 in how it organizes thumbnails. If you use colour labels for sorting images and you label some images but not others, in CS2 by default (and there was no user option) if you select to sort by label, all the labelled thumbnails come first, and the non-labelled ones follow. In CS3 (at least on my WinXP computer) it is the reverse and I have failed to find an option for changing it. I think this kind of a regression, because, for example, one of the key reasons to label certain images is to prioritize them viz a viz the remainder, so one wonders why the prioritized ones should follow the non-selected one. Sounds trivial, but with a folder containing many images, not too many of which are selected, it means scrolling through the unwanted to get to the wanted. Maybe the solution in Bridge CS3 is to label the trash and leave the good stuff unmarked! But if you have multi-purpose labelling conventions, that wouldn't cut it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mark,
On the Mac at the top of the View>Sort By drop down, you can select "Ascending Order" or "Descending Order".  DO places the labled images first, ahead of the unlabled.  Perhaps in Windows that menu item is not the same?

Regards,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2007, 02:15:39 pm »

Mark,
On the Mac at the top of the View>Sort By drop down, you can select "Ascending Order" or "Descending Order".  DO places the labled images first, ahead of the unlabled.  Perhaps in Windows that menu item is not the same?

Regards,
Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed, yes same on Windows and I had tried that too, but because I process files in mainly in order of capture for a couple of reasons, I prefer Labels first with Ascending order, like worked in Bridge CS2.

jlmwyo

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2007, 11:11:49 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What are the 'issues' it causes?

Bridge not loading? Bridge still running in the background after you close it? Bridge crashing? Bridge running preventing PKS from running smoothly? The memory leaks?

Wish I could say I had an Intellimouse
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.

seamus finn

« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2007, 07:58:48 am »

Hang on just a minute! Aren't we all supposed to be photographers first and not technicians, computer programmers, hackers or beta testers? Isn't the learning curve with any version of Photoshop steep enough without having to go through this nonsense just to get a successful installation of what is, after all, a very expensive product. I think you'd take a very dim view if you bought a new fridge and then were told you'd have to re-wire the house because the machine had a bug. Adobe should get real - consumers have rights and the fundamental right is that the produce works, first, last and always. We photographers are a forgiving lot.
When Adobe issued a free edition of Lightroom to previous Raw Shooter Premium users, we had another fiasco involving endless, fruitless calls to Adobe Customer Support et al. Two Adobe nightmares within a few months of each other is two too many. Apart from that, Lightroom is slow, and the sliders and both LR and CS3 seem very sluggish. In fact, everything seems sluggish and my hardware is as up to date as the next man's.  My version of Bridge crashes quite often, my prints seem to have radically disimproved in both applications and I am now thinking of re-installing CS2 and using it exclusively.

Not a happy Adobe camper!

Seamus Finn

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2007, 10:23:20 am »

Hang on just a minute! Aren't we all supposed to be photographers first and not technicians, computer programmers, hackers or beta testers? Isn't the learning curve with any version of Photoshop steep enough without having to go through this nonsense just to get a successful installation of what is, after all, a very expensive product. I think you'd take a very dim view if you bought a new fridge and then were told you'd have to re-wire the house because the machine had a bug. Adobe should get real - consumers have rights and the fundamental right is that the produce works, first, last and always. We photographers are a forgiving lot.
When Adobe issued a free edition of Lightroom to previous Raw Shooter Premium users, we had another fiasco involving endless, fruitless calls to Adobe Customer Support et al. Two Adobe nightmares within a few months of each other is two too many. Apart from that, Lightroom is slow, and the sliders and both LR and CS3 seem very sluggish. In fact, everything seems sluggish and my hardware is as up to date as the next man's.  My version of Bridge crashes quite often, my prints seem to have radically disimproved in both applications and I am now thinking of re-installing CS2 and using it exclusively.

Not a happy Adobe camper!

Seamus Finn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116936\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seamus, as I made clear way-up in this thread, and lest anyone reading this forget or misundestand what I said, I write from a purely independent consumer perspective without regard to any software or hardware vendor, so I call a spade a spade, but that's from my own experience - readers will know that's all I usually discuss - and other peoples' experience and insight can and often does differ. That's the spice of life and so be it.

So with that disclaimer out of the way, I'll make a few observations on what you are saying:

(1) I'm using Windows XP on a Dell Precision 690 workstation with a 3 GHz Core Duo Xeon 5160, 32 bit mode and therefore 2GB of operational RAM. The two HDs working for Photoshop are 10,000 RPM units. I'm not having speed problems with  Lightroom or Bridge, or CS3. I have both CS2 and CS3 in active use. I'd say CS2 Bridge loads a bit faster than CS3 Bridge, but CS3 Bridge is a different animal - it has capabilities that CS2 Bridge doesn't have. Maybe that extended functionality has a price in terms of slightly - and I mean slightly - longer load-up time. Anyhow for perspective, not a deal-breaker on my set-up.

(2) My installation of CS3 was seemless without "rewiring the fridge" simply by following the instructions Adobe issued. I too was very concerned about the prospects of having to use their CleanScript tool with all the CYA warnings they supplied with it, so I called Adobe first to discuss it - my phone call - and I'm no-one special to them - was answered rapidly, the discussion was professional and to the point - they told me not to worry about it and what to do if I ran into problems. I did it, there were no problems. End of story - for me.

(3) My version of Bridge CS3 does not crash. I've had a couple of instances when it failed to load. This is a known issue and I can only assume Adobe is working on it. But once it loads, it works. I don't like the way it sorts thumbnails so I'm still using Bridge CS2, but CS3 has features for which I'll also use it. I like the way the cache and the programming insure that whatever you do in the one is conveyed in the other. This is smart and convenient.

(4) Using CS3 so far has been "eventless" - again no rewiring of the fridge - not even the toaster - except for two issues relating to the Print module, which has already consumed pages of dialogue and some useful outcome in this thread.  

(5) When I observe the recent raft of major printer and software releases, I can't help thinking that there is a general tendancy in the industry to release things to the market a bit prematurely and let the customers finalize the testing through experience. Again, it is a matter of judgment how much of this consumers should be expected to tolerate. You'll get a whole range. Some people are quite willing to grin and bear it while the bugs are fixed because they want the new features as fast as possible. Others are more conservative and want a fairly seemless operating experience even if it takes longer to reach them. I find myself somewhere in-between. One needs to distinguish between major issues and minor issues, deal-breakers from non-deal breakers and work through or around accordingly.

(6) Sometimes, it must be the case that not everything in software design is win-win except after a long period of development time. What I mean by that, for example, is that nifty new features we all like could come at the expense of more complexity that causes say, unexpected instances of incompatibility with something else (remember each of the 100s of millions of computers out there is somehow a unique environment) or slightly slower operating efficiency.

So bottom line: I think you're over-reacting some, but I also think there is merit to the view that aspects of basic functionality (especially things that worked well before) should be thoroughly protected and carefully verified as such pre-release - except of course to the extent that sometimes there are simply these trade-offs when better judgment says release now and improve later.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 10:24:22 am by MarkDS »

Ray

« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2007, 10:24:45 am »

Hang on just a minute! Aren't we all supposed to be photographers first and not technicians, computer programmers, hackers or beta testers? Isn't the learning curve with any version of Photoshop steep enough without having to go through this nonsense just to get a successful installation of what is, after all, a very expensive product. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116936\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely! I refuse to be intimidated by such issues. Computers always have mystifying issues due to their complexity. One has to preserve one's sanity and just roll with the issues or work around them.

I got a free first issue of Lightroom because I was a registered user of RSP which Adobe took over, but I don't need it and don't use it.

I downloaded the beta version of CS3 because I was interested in the new stitching capabilities of Photomerge. It's a big improvement over CS2, but I don't need it. Autopano Pro is better.

I still use RSP when I want to give a RAW conversion a certain 'punch' and vibrancy. I know ACR in CS3 now boasts a 'vibrancy' slider, but it's quite tame compared with RSP.

I think we may be suffering from a surfeit of goodies here.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up