Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accounting Software  (Read 5920 times)

mikeguil

Accounting Software
« on: April 20, 2007, 11:06:40 pm »

This may be a little off topic, but that's why I'm posting it here.  I'm Canadian and a Mac user and just before Christmas I needed to get my G5 serviced with a new power supply.  I was down for about 2 weeks, but I had just bought an Intel iMac for home and was able to transfer all my photography work to it for the duration.  All my work that is except for my accounting software.  Turns out that the product I was using is no longer supported in Canada on Mac computers.  I was running it in Classic mode under OS-9, on my G5, but since the new Intel Macs won't boot under OS-9, I was out of luck.  

So I started looking for new Canadian Accounting software that would run under OS-X.  I found it in New Zealand.  It's called MoneyWorks and handles GST/PST (even HST) perfectly.  Most of the other popular accounting software companies have abondoned Canadian Mac users.  I downloaded the trial, ran it for a few weeks and was impressed.  I bought the middle package, Express, and have been using it ever since.

In fact, I was so impressed that I've become a reseller for the software.  I know this is a little self-promotion, but if you are Canadian and running your life on a Mac, I'm sure you know the frustration I felt trying to replace my aging accounting software with something up to date and reliable.  So I'm just offering out there to anyone who's interested and if you would like more information or have some questions, just let me know.  The website is MGPacc.

Hope this helps.

Phuong

Accounting Software
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:37:33 pm »

there's Quickbooks Pro?

mikeguil

Accounting Software
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:47:53 pm »

there's Quickbooks Pro?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But how's the support for GST/PST and will it run on a Mac under OS-X?  

I never did like QB much anyway so didn't take that close of a look.  From posts on other 'business' sites I had understood that support was pretty lack-luster and the GST/PST function was kinda band-aided.  It would be nice if there was more choice, but I like MoneyWorks so much now that I doubt I'd switch anyway.  

The other nice thing about MoneyWorks is that it's totally cross-platform.  They'll even supply a free copy to your accountant to help support you and it doesn't matter if they run Mac or PC - it'll work on both and read the files from one to the other.

Again, I didn't look into QB that much but I am really impressed with MoneyWorks.

mguertin

Accounting Software
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:42:43 am »

Moneyworks is great   I'd stick with that one and be happy personally.

mikeguil

Accounting Software
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:14:21 am »

Moneyworks is great   I'd stick with that one and be happy personally.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to agree.  And once you learn some of the keyboard commands, all your information is literally at your fingertips.  The MoneyWorks forum is great too.  You can learn lots of hidden features (commands and such) there and MoneyWorks staff frequent it as well to help with support issues.

I'm currently using the Express version, but will likely switch to Gold in the near future.  All the packages have been recently updated to Version 5 with a real improvement in workflow.  I actually look forward to doing my bookkeeping with it!  Now that's gotta tell you something!  

barberic

Accounting Software
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 12:11:54 pm »

This may be a little off topic, but that's why I'm posting it here.  I'm Canadian and a Mac user and just before Christmas I needed to get my G5 serviced with a new power supply.  I was down for about 2 weeks, but I had just bought an Intel iMac for home and was able to transfer all my photography work to it for the duration.  All my work that is except for my accounting software.  Turns out that the product I was using is no longer supported in Canada on Mac computers.  I was running it in Classic mode under OS-9, on my G5, but since the new Intel Macs won't boot under OS-9, I was out of luck. 

So I started looking for new Canadian Accounting software that would run under OS-X.  I found it in New Zealand.  It's called MoneyWorks and handles GST/PST (even HST) perfectly.  Most of the other popular accounting software companies have abondoned Canadian Mac users.  I downloaded the trial, ran it for a few weeks and was impressed.  I bought the middle package, Express, and have been using it ever since.

In fact, I was so impressed that I've become a reseller for the software.  I know this is a little self-promotion, but if you are Canadian and running your life on a Mac, I'm sure you know the frustration I felt trying to replace my aging accounting software with something up to date and reliable.  So I'm just offering out there to anyone who's interested and if you would like more information or have some questions, just let me know.  The website is MGPacc.

Hope this helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

barberic

Accounting Software
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 12:22:51 pm »

Quote from: mikeguil,Apr 20 2007, 11:06 PM
Turns out that the product I was using is no longer supported in Canada on Mac computers.  I was running it in Classic mode under OS-9, on my G5, but since the new Intel Macs won't boot under OS-9, I was out of luck.  

I'm surmising that you were using MYOB. I used to use it too. It was the complete package for running my small business.

I, need to find a new acctg. pkg. that can handle payroll as well as the other tasks that most acctg. software profess to handle.

None of the descriptions for MoneyWorks touch on the topic of payroll. Do you know if I could write/output my payroll cheques with MoneyWorks?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

mikeguil

Accounting Software
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:14:36 pm »

Yes, I was using MYOB AccountEdge and had the same problem when trying to run it on an Intel Mac (my G5 was in the shop - needed a new power supply).  

MoneyWorks itself doesn't do payroll.  Their theory is why pay yearly updates for the part of the software that doesn't change?  What most users of MoneyWorks (and other software that doesn't handle payroll) do is simply enter the deductions and such manually from tax tables.  

But, what you can do with MoneyWorks, is set up a recurring transaction (a 'payroll' cheque for example) that occurs every pay period (that you specify).  If nothing changes, simply post it.  If anything changes, such as hours, deductions, vacation pay etc., you can change the amount in the recurring transaction to reflect this.  Quite easy actually.  

There are of course other programs, including online programs, that strictly do payroll.  TD Canada Trust also has a service for doing payroll as I'm sure other banks do as well.  But MoneyWorks should be able to handle everything else for you, without the need to purchase an upgrade every year.

barberic

Accounting Software
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 02:40:19 pm »

But MoneyWorks should be able to handle everything else for you, without the need to purchase an upgrade every year.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119916\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Mike.

mikeguil

Accounting Software
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 02:42:14 pm »

Never a problem.    

Cheers,
Pages: [1]   Go Up