Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delkin SensorScope - user review  (Read 2122 times)

dickg

Delkin SensorScope - user review
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:10:05 pm »

Michael, here is my take:

I received the Delkin SensorScope System last month. My initial impression was a yawn.

The "system" comes in its own bulky carrying case. You'd think the people at Delkin would have the common sense to know that for photographers, every inch is valuable. There's a ton of wasted space here. What were they thinking? The case is big enough for a gun, Geez.   But let's look inside.

Here goes.

First, I would NOT let that "vacuum" get anywhere near my sensor, AA filter cover, whatever. At best it's ineffective. At worst it could cause damage. Bottom line: a non-starter. Wasted money and space. Frankly, hitting a good nonabrasive brush with some air offers more potential than this.

But wait! There's the Popeil Pocket Fisherman...oops...I mean the battery pack for the sensor vac with four AA batteries included. Bottom line: more unnecessary cost and wasted space.

There's a couple dozen sensor wands and some sensor cleaner. At some point I may try to use it but dedicated sensor wands are usually ungodly pricey and these appear to be no exception. The Copperhill system and Pec Pads seem to be a better solution. As for solution, I see nothing that this stuff works better than Eclipse and obviously it can't dry faster. Bottom line (so far): I'll stick with the cheaper solution that works.

Finally we have the SensorScope. Wow. It's an illuminated loupe that allows you to see the dust inside the sensor. That's definitely worthwhile and will help you find the gunk you need to get out of there. I've seen a Canon tech use a similar device.

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's get down to the nitty gritty here, folks. Nah, let's just look at the first two steps.

"Step one. Set up your camera to be cleaned. Step two: Use the SensorScope to inspect your sensor. If it isn't dirty, don't clean it!"

Really. The exclamation point is there. But now it's time for a reality check.

First, how I usually know my "sensor" needs cleaning is when I see spots in my images. If I don't, then I don't need to remove a lens and/or lens cap and expose the inside of my camera to dust. In other words, I don't need to use the SensorScope to tell me whether the sensor needs cleaning but where it does. The recommended procedure is another indication that whoever is running things at Delkin doesn't understand much about photography or the needs of photographers.

On the flip side, I have used the SensorScope itself successfully to locate and blow or brush out dust spots.  It does help in that respect.

The Delkin SensorScope retails for $189US and some places like B&H and Adorama are selling it for $169. That's way, way, way too much. If you pay that much, you're either don't care about wasting money. you're certifiably nuts or you are from a country whose exchange rate makes buying American products extremely favorable and you have the disposable income to do just that.

The SensorScope itself in a convenient pouch would be plausible at $49. The wands and fluid would be quite competitive at $49 (even less). I paid $102US (including shipping) for the entire "system."   I certainly would not recommend paying more.

I am considering attaching a Canon EF lens mount ring to the SensorScope device for a snug fit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up