Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who all is using Nikon Capture NX?  (Read 4407 times)

Colorado David

Who all is using Nikon Capture NX?
« on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:26 am »

I'm just curious if users of Nikon Capture NX could share their experiences.  I am very pleased with the program with one exception; it runs very slow on my computer.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
David

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:41:13 pm »

I'm just curious if users of Nikon Capture NX could share their experiences.  I am very pleased with the program with one exception; it runs very slow on my computer.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use it a lot. In fact I believe it is the best Raw converter for Nikon files in terms of IQ. Also it is the only one which respects the in-camera settings if you wish. It is also the only raw converter I know of that supports selective editing and masking. Not too many things you will need to jump to PS for. Two main issues with it.

1. Absolutely minimum support for viewing and organising images. You need an external viewer / organiser for that.

2. It is resource hungry. But if you have 2GB RAM or more its OK. Still slower than LR especially in rendering but very useable. Version 1.1 is native Intel/Mac also.

Regarding the performance. If you avoid making changes in the Base Settings that you can do in Edit Steps (for example noise reduction, sharpening or DLighting) you will see a more than considerable improvement in performance. Reason is, changes in Base Settings cause the whole of the RAW file to be re-converted to the working RGB space. That is part of the price NX pays for providing backward compatibility with Nicon Capture.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:44:35 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

GregW

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:19:39 pm »

I have a love, hate relationship with Capture and capture NX.  Capture NX is an important step forward but I still have issues:

- Performance
- Chaotic user interface
- Lack of DNG/OpenRAW support

On the plus side.

- Best NEF conversion available
- Meets my editing needs with the exception of sharpening

I've also been using Lightroom extensively.  The conclusion I have reached is that I can get the same result with both applications.  It's only a matter of time/volume.  For low volumes 15 or less then NX is fine.  For volumes in excess of that I've found myself relying on Lightroom more and more.

El Ingles

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 05:38:14 pm »

The performance of Capture NX is good but it needs the very latest PC kit if its operating speed is not going to test the patience of even a saint.  I also believe the new DxO version 4.2 surpasses the performance of NX in terms of image processing and optical corrections.

The output from my D200 NEF files is noticeably cleaner using DxO - even in full auto mode - and the final IQ indistinguishable from a 5D file. The slight haziness or 'grittiness' that often is the signature of a D200 image is eliminated almost all of the time with DxO.

And I'd trade the good but horribly complicated U-point technology of NX for the film emulations that are available as an option with DxO.

DxO likes good hardware too but at least it can be used if push comes to shove on 256Kb RAM kit without becoming glacial.

Andrew W

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 07:38:21 pm »

I gave up on the Nikon memory hogging programs a long time ago. I would like to see some before/after examples of some edits done in NX... some creative stuff.
[span style='color:green'][span style='f
Pages: [1]   Go Up