Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my monitor about to bite the dust?  (Read 2910 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Is my monitor about to bite the dust?
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:21 pm »

Lately I've noticed when my screen wakes from sleep it has very thin light green lines, close to horizontal, that are in the background of my entire screen.left to right and top to bottom, maybe one inch apart...they go away as I use my computer and my solid black screen background slowly returns to normal...

also, there's this reddish tint near the top and center of my screen...seems to color the white menu bar a very faint rose...and several very faint red marks, same light rose, that almost look like screen burn...I see them only when I've got a window open that's white or light colored...

my screen has never exhibited these things before...i did a return to factory default color but it didn't change anything...

so, anyone with any experience like this?

thanks for the advice in advance...

M

My monitor is a seven year old Sony Multiscan G500...19"...

ddolde

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:09:30 pm »

I had green lines on a Sony like that that failed.  7 years is exceptional though for a CRT life.  I'd never buy another CRT....my EIZO is too good.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:36:39 pm »

I have a Princeton Graphics EO90 19" CRT built in April '98 bought June of the same year and still calibrates to sRGB specs, except for tinted off colors on apposing sides as you describe on yours. Mine got that way by placing the display on freshly installed static filled carpet and let set there for several weeks as I was moving to new apartment. Now the screen has started just fading out to black and returning after about several minutes. I found slapping the back right side next to the power cord connect solved this.

What you can do for the burn in color tinting is to turn the display 90 degrees from your normal viewing position and hit the degauss button. Wait for about 15 minutes for the degauss to recharge and turn it back the way it was and hit degauss again. Also it's best to do this when the unit has been warmed up and turned on for several hours because of its age.

I did this on my CRT after it sat for a while at a 90 degree position from where I had it at my previous residence and the degauss sequence described got most of it out.

As for the green line, I've never seen this and couldn't tell you what to do.

This site has some very interesting tips and general display FYI...

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_monfaq.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:38:30 pm by tlooknbill »

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 07:26:36 pm »

I had green lines on a Sony like that that failed.  7 years is exceptional though for a CRT life.  I'd never buy another CRT....my EIZO is too good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi ddolde...when i bought my first computer system about 16 years ago, a Mac llci, I had a 17" E.Machines monitor (heard they were sony trinitron rejects) that lasted eight years...so i was hoping this monitor would last...it's not dead yet...another ten months and it'll be eight years ;-)

from what i've been reading i think it would hard to find a good and affordable crt...i've gotta start researching lcd's...not sure what to look for...i'm basically a graphic artist, book covers, illustration,...use photoshop a lot, Illustrator, indesign...i've been an amateur photographer for thirty years...i need a good monitor...i think i'd spend like a thousand...budget won't allow for more...

quickly saw two monitors that i think might work, well, the apple 20" might do it, or the Nec 2190uxi looks good...one other i read about here is the samsung 214t...i don't know...gotta check my video card, see what's compatible...

thanks...

M

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 07:29:19 pm »

I have a Princeton Graphics EO90 19" CRT built in April '98 bought June of the same year and still calibrates to sRGB specs, except for tinted off colors on apposing sides as you describe on yours. Mine got that way by placing the display on freshly installed static filled carpet and let set there for several weeks as I was moving to new apartment. Now the screen has started just fading out to black and returning after about several minutes. I found slapping the back right side next to the power cord connect solved this.

What you can do for the burn in color tinting is to turn the display 90 degrees from your normal viewing position and hit the degauss button. Wait for about 15 minutes for the degauss to recharge and turn it back the way it was and hit degauss again. Also it's best to do this when the unit has been warmed up and turned on for several hours because of its age.

I did this on my CRT after it sat for a while at a 90 degree position from where I had it at my previous residence and the degauss sequence described got most of it out.

As for the green line, I've never seen this and couldn't tell you what to do.

This site has some very interesting tips and general display FYI...

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_monfaq.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok, I'll give your method a try tomorrow and see if it changes anything...thanks for the tip...also, thanks for that link...it's a bit overwhelming but maybe i can find some stuff in there to help me postpone my monitor dying for another year or so...

thanks...

M
Pages: [1]   Go Up