Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus C8080  (Read 3156 times)

Viruss

Olympus C8080
« on: March 18, 2004, 03:03:53 pm »

First of all I would like to say Hello to all users of this forum, as I'm new here and this is my first post.

In fact, I came here in reaction to the article about Olympus C8080 that appeared on Luminous Landscape.

The author has many complaints on C8080 design and function, some that I agree with, some that I disagree.

I think that C8080 was designed as something between compact camera and SLR-like camera. It inherits the traditional Olympus controls system - it may be confusing and not very intuitive for some people, but I came very familliar with this system after few first minutes of using Olympus C5050. What I seriously miss is the manual focus/zoom ring, even if it was only the way to control the zoom motor, not the real manual zoom/focus ring.

What I was really looking for was the image quality. I hoped that sacrificing some of the tele-photo ability will help to deal with purple fringing and in that way, I have the impression that C8080 does really well.

But what I can't understand and I can't believe that is true is the absence of real-time histogram and overexposure warning. Even preview at Dpreview.com showed that there is live histogram and there's even a special type of "histogram" that shows overexposed or underexposed areas by red/blue boxes. These features really aren't present in production model?

I'm looking forward to all reactions.

johnfalky

• http://www.pbase.com/johnfalky/root
Olympus C8080
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 11:33:39 pm »

Even though this is now a fairly old posting I thought it might be interesting to add some feedback. I have used the C8080 wide zoom for some years now. I bought it because I felt DSLRs weren't ready yet for "prime time" and frankly, the camera was very cheap as I bought it at a Sam's club that was dumping them to make way for newer models. The DPReview rating it highly was also a factor and yes, I looked at the Sony mentioned in the reviews as an alternate unit. Frankly I did not like the Sony at all, finding it somewhat cumbersome and front heavy. So the C8080 was it. There is a learning curve with this camera, and yes, under certain conditions its slow, and yes, storing a RAW file takes some time, but what do you expect for the price of the unit? One of my favorite features is the multi-spot metering feature, something that the newest crop of DSLRs still do not offer. And I like the flip out viewer, another feature that the DSLRs also do not have. The camera has been used extensively, the finish is now wearing like an old film camera, and I am still very pleased with the unit. In comparison with the Tested unit, battery life is excellent. Overall, I found the review of the camera on this netsite somewhat amateurish, especially when the party had to admit after passing "judgement" on the camera that he had not bothered to read the manual in detail beforehand, and did not know how to operate the controls correctly. To then blame the features on the camera as not being acceptable sound like a bit of a reach to me. Since this unit is no longer made, you'll have to buy a used one if you want one, or search to find a store that still has them on the shelf. I find it to be a superb unit, even years later. The only minus I have with the unit is its slowness, not that good for action photography.
Pages: [1]   Go Up