Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which MAC for photo processing?  (Read 6572 times)

NikosR

• http://
Which MAC for photo processing?
« on: March 07, 2007, 10:37:41 am »

I have been using Windows for almost a lifetime now, but I need to upgrade my ageing workstation and  I've been thinking about getting a desktop Mac. My initial intention is to dedicate the Mac to my photo processing and photo management and keep my Windows workstation and laptop for all the rest of my computer related work (mainly MS Office related). The laptop is going to be used for in the field image storing and light processing also.

Anyway, since I'm totally ignorant regarding the Mac world I was wondering if I'll really have to go all the way to a Mac Pro or would an Intel i-Mac be sufficient for the medium term.

Would the i-Mac's max RAM of 3GB and one internal disk bay be sufficient for my needs (adding external HD's for image storing)? Can the iMAc get connected to a second display?

If I have to go to a Mac Pro what would be a recommended configuration?

Work will be based on Lightroom and PS and some Capture NX. I am no heavy batch user since I only select a few images from a shoot for further processing. Printing is taking place on an Epson 3800.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Nikos
AThens, Greece
Nikos

orangekay

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:21:54 pm »

Can the iMAc get connected to a second display?

No.

If I have to go to a Mac Pro what would be a recommended configuration?

As with most computer purchases, whatever you can afford. Just don't buy RAM from Apple.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:11:57 pm »

No.
As with most computer purchases, whatever you can afford. Just don't buy RAM from Apple.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105285\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The new PS (CS3) is fast on Intel; the 20" screen is ok. I think an iMac is a nice solution except if you are going to be processing images from digital backs, or sessions with lots of captures.

An interesting alternative is to get a used/refurb  Mac Pro.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:13:46 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 05:29:05 pm »

orangekay is incorrect about connecting the iMac to a second display. It CAN be connected to a secondary monitor and fully supports a dual monitor system. I am running Photoshop CS2, CS3beta, Lightroom and Aperture on my intel dual core 20" iMac with 2 gigs of ram. No problems here, the iMac is an excellent solution. My iMac has a 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive installed and I am using a Western Digital 500 gig 7200 rpm external (firewire) hard drive as a secondary/backup drive.  The great thing about the new intel core Macs is that they run Windows too.
Gerald J Skrocki

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 06:22:59 pm »

It might not be the best timing to buy a Mac Pro.

There have been credible rumours of a new version being released soon that would propose configurations based on 4 core CPUs as well as other goodies.

My guess is that this release will probably be synchronized with that of of 10.5 (Leopard) that will offer native 64 bit support.

May 2007 seems to be a reasonnable date for this. If you can wait until then, you'll probably have more options to choose from.

Regards,
Bernard

61Dynamic

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:42:13 pm »

The iMac isn't anything to sneeze at. Based off performance reviews I've read and the Intel hardware I've had access too, I would not be surprised if the 2.16GHz model is just as quick as my Dual 2.3GHz G5 tower. There are other advantages to buying the Mac Pro however.

1. More processing power. The additional chip will result in quicker operations in multi-threaded apps (PS, LR, etc) and multi-tasking. It won't be double the speed certainly (or even a quarter), but it will be noticeable.

2. Ram. The iMac is limited to 3GB. The Mac Pro can hold 16GB (which is insane). The Mac is considerably more efficient at using Ram than Windows and you will benefit from having more than 3GB of ram. The 5.5GB I have in my system handles both PS, Lightroom and whatever other apps I have going quite well.

3. Hard drive storage. The iMac will require external drives while you can fit three additional drives in the Mac Pro.

4. The Mac Pro has Firewire 800 at twice the transfer rate of 400. That is fairly much just as quick as an internal drive.

Oh, a note on external drives on the mac. Don't buy USB 2.0 if you can. Get Firewire, it's faster, maintains transfer rates more reliably and OS X just works more friendly with it. It drives me nuts each time I turn on my USB 2 drive on my mac. Spotlight always wants to index it and it can't be stopped which makes backups even slower.

5. If you want to use dual-monitors you can buy matching displays (both size and resolution) for the Mac Pro more easily than the iMac. As mentioned, the iMac can do dual-displays but with a $20 adaptor.

The question is when New Mac pros will arrive. Usually the towers are announced at WWDC (developers conference) in June so if you want to wait keep in mind you may just end up waiting until then. If you need a system more quickly than June, then just buy what you can now and don't worry about it. You'll get your money's worth regardless.

If you choose the Mac Pro, go for the 2.66GHz model. The $300 you save going with the 2.0 is not worth the drop in performance and the increase of $800 is not worth the additional performance of 3.0GHz. That $800 would be better spent on RAM.

My guess is that this release will probably be synchronized with that of of 10.5 (Leopard) that will offer native 64 bit support
Tiger currently has 64-bit support actually. It's just limited to system-level functions. 10.5 will be the first time it'll be available to third-parties. However, Adobe won't be utilizing it until probably CS 4. In reality all it means is that third-party software will be able to address more than 3GB of ram. Any performance difference other than that won't be big enough for anyone to really notice.

I made the switch from 12+ years on Windows (starting with DOS 6 on a 66MHz 486 DX/2) to Macs just over a year ago and I have no regrets doing so. I think the best way to describe a Mac is that it does not get in your way. It just works as they say. If you have any questions on what to expect in the switch feel free to ask. I'd be happy to share what I've experienced.

orangekay

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:49:24 pm »

orangekay is incorrect about connecting the iMac to a second display.

Yup, I didn't realize the new ones had a mini-DVI port. Apologies.

Oh, a note on external drives on the mac. Don't buy USB 2.0 if you can. Get Firewire, it's faster, maintains transfer rates more reliably and OS X just works more friendly with it. It drives me nuts each time I turn on my USB 2 drive on my mac. Spotlight always wants to index it and it can't be stopped which makes backups even slower.

Spotlight can be disabled on any volume via either the terminal or various GUI front-ends for it. I believe there's a free product called "Spotless" that will whack the index. Check versiontracker.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:55:10 pm by orangekay »

61Dynamic

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 12:21:16 am »

Spotlight can be disabled on any volume via either the terminal or various GUI front-ends for it. I believe there's a free product called "Spotless" that will whack the index. Check versiontracker.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wish. I've tried it all; various terminal commands, apps, and so on. It keeps on indexing.

NikosR

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 12:44:35 am »

Guys,

Thanks for the input.

Next question is how straightforward is it to connect the Mac to an existing LAN to share files & printers with my windows machines?

Also if I connect a second high grade TFT display to the iMac would I be able to independently color manage both? I would use the external display for color proofing but I wouldn't want the internal one to be totally off.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:49:24 am by NikosR »
Nikos

orangekay

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 01:05:30 am »

I wish. I've tried it all; various terminal commands, apps, and so on. It keeps on indexing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The order of operations is critical. What procedure did you follow?

Next question is how straightforward is it to connect the Mac to an existing LAN to share files & printers with my windows machines?

Windows file sharing can be enabled with a checkbox. Printer sharing can be as well, but I have no experience sharing printers across platforms (or using Windows for that matter). Assuming you're using DHCP, you shouldn't have to even touch the default network configuration.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:24:21 am »

"The Mac Pro has Firewire 800 at twice the transfer rate of 400. That is fairly much just as quick as an internal drive."

For clarification, the 24" iMac supports Firewire 800.
Gerald J Skrocki

61Dynamic

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 11:57:40 am »

The order of operations is critical. What procedure did you follow?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Trust me, I've done everything and I'm not about to waste anymore time on it. Disabling indexing works just fine for my Firewire drive but not the USB 2 drive. I think it's a hardware issue. 'nuff said.

For clarification, the 24" iMac supports Firewire 800.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thats correct. I overlooked that on the specs page.

orangekay

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 03:21:21 pm »

Trust me, I've done everything and I'm not about to waste anymore time on it. Disabling indexing works just fine for my Firewire drive but not the USB 2 drive. I think it's a hardware issue. 'nuff said.

Well I write hardware drivers so I might be able to come up with a solution if I can reproduce the problem. So far I haven't seen that happen.

61Dynamic

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 12:36:29 am »

Well I write hardware drivers so I might be able to come up with a solution if I can reproduce the problem. So far I haven't seen that happen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105513\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
OK. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 09:39:57 pm »

There are a lot of expert technical and very well informed opinions here. I'm none of he above. But, what I can tell you is that a Mac is to photos what peanut butter is to jelly - just great!
Pages: [1]   Go Up