Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon to cut more than 1000 jobs  (Read 9150 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Nikon to cut more than 1000 jobs
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:17 am »

Nikon to cut more than 1000 jobs (update)

Nikon has announced it will cut more than 1000 jobs in its Japanese factories in a bid to save £50m amid increasing loses

As part of the cost-cutting effort, Nikon will transfer part of its business to Taiwan while overhauling its semiconductor manufacturing operations, BJP understands.

Nikon has blamed the cuts on weak demands and currency fluctuations. A spokeswoman for Nikon UK has yet to comment on whether the cuts will affect Nikon's operations in the UK. However, BJP understands that Nikon's servicing units in Europe, as well as in the US and in Asia, will be reorganised to save costs.

The announcement came as Nikon forecasts a net loss of £112m for the fiscal year ending March 2010, a steep decline from a net profit of £186m during 2009's fiscal year.

'Nikon has decided to implement drastic measures for fixed cost reduction in every business step of production, marketing and servicing,' the company said in a statement.

dfsfs

ADVERTISEMENT
Return to the top of The British Journal of Photography Return to the top of The British Journal of Photography
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

John Camp

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:30:33 pm »

The losses are in the stepper-manufacturing business, not on the photo side, which is quite profitable.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:37:14 pm »

I'm prepared to help out by buying a D3x at 10% above manufacturing cost. Plus postage of course. And 10% of something is better than 1% of nothing, 'cos I won't be buying one otherwise.

georgl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 05:43:51 pm »

"cut more than 1000 jobs in its Japanese factories"..."weak demands"

Yep, the new workers with slave labour @ 150$/month will buy many Nikons...  

Rollei tried it in the 70s with Singapore, Schiesser just went into insolvency while they just transfered all their production from Germany entirely to low-labour-countries... They'll never learn, will they?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:03:32 am by georgl »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:04:17 pm »

Quote from: georgl
Yep, the new workers with slave labour @ 150$/month will buy many Nikons...  

Rollei tried it in the 70s with Singapore, Schiesser just went into insolvency while they just transfered all their production from Germany entirely to low-labour-countires... They'll never learn, will they?

As has been mentioned before, it seems that this relates to their stepper division mostly which is purely Japan based and will stay so. These job losses will not benefit any low cost country but it is true that these employees losing their position will not be able to contribute anymore as consumers...

Suppliers in a B2B chain are directly impacted by the reduced investement of the OEMs that they supply. These OEMs are themselves anticipating or reacting to reduced consumer purchases...

So when a supplier of expensive low volume devices has very low orders, they have really little choice but to reduced their fixed costs, salaries being a significatn part of these.

Regards,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:06:12 pm by BernardLanguillier »

georgl

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:37:55 am »

"...These job losses will not benefit any low cost country..."
but they said:
"...Nikon will transfer part of its business to Taiwan..."

Do I get something wrong? Besides this, Nikon transferred more than 10000 jobs from Japan to Thailand and now to China over the last two decades.

I know that Canon relies mostly on "Made in Japan", even if 30% of the staff are temporary workers.

They're starting a race (for lower wages) with no finish, everybody will end up dead!

"So when a supplier of expensive low volume devices has very low orders, they have really little choice but to reduced their fixed costs, salaries being a significatn part of these."

Yep, I know what happened when companies I worked for invested into China (or eastern Europe). Looking back, they paid so much into building up new facilities/infrastructure (instead of investing into their "old" ones), lost so much know-how, quality-issues, communication, logistics... that they better stayed in Germany in the first place. Despite the "absolute necessary reduction of salary costs" and "entering important new markets" (a Chinese fab always became a fab for our markets, too) they lost so much money and had to fight so many side-effects which are hard to calculate (image...) that they all were in a worse position than before. In Germany we have the so-called "hidden-champions", they're usually family-driven, have more staff in high-wage-countries (not few of them have only one huge headquarter depp in the black woods and worldwide service) and more production-depth. They're usually not as big (100-10000 employees) and famous as the big multi-national cooperations but are highly specialized and have a equity-ratio of 100%. Basically, they don't work like a "modern" management in a globalized world should work... But they're extremly succesful, some of them have a market-share of over 90%.

Those are the backbone of "Made in Germany". Japan was once famous for "acting strange", too. They didn't like foreign products and suppliers, wanted to be independent, and had life-long relationships with their employees. In their panic, Grundig, Rollei and many other companies didn't rely on their strength anymore and started to use cheap slave-labour, too. The banks quickly controlled the companies because of huge credits and killed them in the end with their short-sighted thinking.

And now I'm wondering, that 20 years later, when Japan was dominating consumer electronics, goes the same short-sighted way! I think the Chinese willl learn pretty quick from the chinese Nikon-fabs how to copy the technology and simply crush them - I haven't seen a TV or CD/DVD-player "Made in Japan" for years! I hope Sony (I have my doubts), Panasonic and Canon won't go the same way with their cameras.  

Enough complaining, so what should Nikon do in my eyes?

When the market becomes smaller, they'll have to give up their illusion of two-digit-growth-rates at any prices. Sell all their facilities in China and Thailand. Investing all the money in their Japanese Fabs. Investing into production depth (growing vertically), education of the employees, R&D. Becoming smaller, but more efficient! Trying to build-up an own-dealer-network, 100%-Nikon-controlled, no extra margins (like Louis Vuitton) and don't depent on banks and credits! Try to work WITH the employees, investing into their own company! Basic, "traditional" entrepreneurship which made those companies big once! No management-bs anymore!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:50:57 am »

They're starting a race (for lower wages) with no finish, everybody will end up dead!

What's wrong with helping hard working people in Thailand increasing their level of wealth? I don't believe that Nikon Japan fired anybody in the process, they managed to grow their business significantly while investing in Thailand and lowering the price of their line up of cameras. It seems like a win win deal to me.

Left winged as I am, I have to accept the reality that private investement in developping countries has done more good than capital controlled entities like the world bank... the biggest danger for our world is the gap between developping countries and the supposedely developped ones. Greed might be the main driving force underlying the investement in South East Asia, but this greed does sometimes benefit the local economy.

I happen to have worked for some time in a Japanese corporation with strong ties in Thailand, and they did care for the local Thai employees a lot. I did have personnal relationship with Thai trainees, and things were fine. You might not know this, but Thai is a country with an engineering culture and good universities.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 12:05:22 pm »

Yep, I know what happened when companies I worked for invested into China (or eastern Europe). Looking back, they paid so much into building up new facilities/infrastructure (instead of investing into their "old" ones), lost so much know-how, quality-issues, communication, logistics... that they better stayed in Germany in the first place. Despite the "absolute necessary reduction of salary costs" and "entering important new markets" (a Chinese fab always became a fab for our markets, too) they lost so much money and had to fight so many side-effects which are hard to calculate (image...) that they all were in a worse position than before. In Germany we have the so-called "hidden-champions", they're usually family-driven, have more staff in high-wage-countries (not few of them have only one huge headquarter depp in the black woods and worldwide service) and more production-depth. They're usually not as big (100-10000 employees) and famous as the big multi-national cooperations but are highly specialized and have a equity-ratio of 100%. Basically, they don't work like a "modern" management in a globalized world should work... But they're extremly succesful, some of them have a market-share of over 90%.

Those are the backbone of "Made in Germany". Japan was once famous for "acting strange", too. They didn't like foreign products and suppliers, wanted to be independent, and had life-long relationships with their employees. In their panic, Grundig, Rollei and many other companies didn't rely on their strength anymore and started to use cheap slave-labour, too. The banks quickly controlled the companies because of huge credits and killed them in the end with their short-sighted thinking.

And now I'm wondering, that 20 years later, when Japan was dominating consumer electronics, goes the same short-sighted way! I think the Chinese willl learn pretty quick from the chinese Nikon-fabs how to copy the technology and simply crush them - I haven't seen a TV or CD/DVD-player "Made in Japan" for years! I hope Sony (I have my doubts), Panasonic and Canon won't go the same way with their cameras.  

Enough complaining, so what should Nikon do in my eyes?

When the market becomes smaller, they'll have to give up their illusion of two-digit-growth-rates at any prices. Sell all their facilities in China and Thailand. Investing all the money in their Japanese Fabs. Investing into production depth (growing vertically), education of the employees, R&D. Becoming smaller, but more efficient! Trying to build-up an own-dealer-network, 100%-Nikon-controlled, no extra margins (like Louis Vuitton) and don't depent on banks and credits! Try to work WITH the employees, investing into their own company! Basic, "traditional" entrepreneurship which made those companies big once! No management-bs anymore!

Unfortunately, you're living in a dream world. People have to understand that the Chinese, the Thais, etc., are no stupider than the rest of us, it's just that their labor is (temporarily) a lot cheaper. When a company goes to a third-world country for labor, they're doing it to survive, not because they wish to. If they don't, the third world company will hire engineers and do it all. Want an example? Look at the thriving European photo industry, with giants like Leica and Zeiss dominating the photo world...not. They were the first postwar victims of this syndrome. They tried to protect themselves and their workers the old fashioned way, by refusing to adapt, and got hammered by Japanese ENGINEERING...as well as low cost postwar Japanese labor. The same thing will happen again, if a good German or Japanese company does what you suggest: the Chinese, who have thousands of great engineers being trained annually in American universities, will eat their lunch. They'll produce a low-cost, BETTER, Chinese version of a Nikon.

There's not a race to the bottom, there's a trudge to the top. If we don't get some crazy world war, famine, disease or global warming floods, in a hundred years or so, most of the world labor markets should be roughly equal, or equal enough to compete across the board. But for now, there are dislocations.

Unlike Bernard, I'm not on the left, I'm very much a centrist, and I actually think that some companies would benefit from a bit of protectionism...just not highly specialized companies like camera companies. It will be their ruination. I think there's a good argument for protection of large heavy industry, like automobiles and steel manufacturing, simply as a way to protect certain categories of jobs. But that's another argument.

A final thing -- Taiwan is about as much of a Third World county as Japan.

JC  

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:40:51 pm »

Quote from: John Camp
A final thing -- Taiwan is about as much of a Third World county as Japan.

JC
If anything Taiwan makes some countries look Thirld World in terms of how they work. The metro system for example is amazing, medical system incredible and people are extremely pleasant but hard working.

I've spent a decent amount of Taiwan and indeed my wife is from there and people should be thankful that production is going to Taiwan rather than some other countries, as people are passionate about maintaining the highest quality.

As a final note there is absolutely no slave labour in TW. Taiwan as a country feels even more democratic to me than UK. If someone has a problem, you speak to your local politician and they rain shit on the party causing problems. Whereas politicians here are too busy claiming for non existant expenses on the part of the tax payer.

georgl

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 04:59:50 am »

"Unfortunately, you're living in a dream world"

No, those companies went down, AFTER they decided to cut costs and off-shore/outsource production! Again, the more succesful companies in Germany relied stronger than other on "Made in Germany" and production depth.
The Carl Zeiss Foundation (100% owner of Carl Zeiss AG and Schott AG) is one of the most succesful players in the optical world for high-quality optics and glass! Of course they had to leave the consumer-market (the cosina-made lenses/cameras are not real Zeiss), because it's controlled by short-sighted dealers (ordering thousands of products, at a lower purchase price every year, sending back those which didn't sell, badly-trained 5$/h-employees which cannot explain differences in technology/quality - that's how 80% of all TVs or cameras are sold today).

I'm sorry, I mixed Taiwan and Thailand in the entry post, I thought they would offshore their production to Thailand (like their camera-business) and not Taiwan.

It's not about the people themselves, it's about the conditions they grow up, they were educated/trained and are treated by the company as well as the system they live in.

When production goes to Taiwan that was done before in Japan, it has only one reason: cutting wages! Taiwan has much better conditions than China or Thailand, but not up to Japanese standards.  They don't care about the people in their low-labour-fabs at all! Otherwise, they would pay them properly and don't fire them instantly months after the "financial crisis" started!

I'm not talking about pretty skylines, stock-markets or wages of managers/engineers in high-positions, I'll talk about the people in manufacturing!
I don't know how well-trained these people in Japanese companies are, but in Germany, most people in production are specialized and trained for about 3 years in special technical skills (comparable to a bachelor degree in the States, but more practical), those people can mantain delicate machines, controll complex processes and understand the technology. A company I worked for, also produced in south Korea (similar standard as Taiwan) and Turkey and India. We gave them technology, solved the problems, introduced new technologies and than it was off-shored to the low-labour-countries, with more manual work, less advanced production technology (the same product, the same brand!) because the workers couldn't maintain those machines! Of course the quality was the same, it just took weeks to get parts for quality-auditions... but as long as the wages were cheap, the management didn't care... By the way, our components were also cheaper, because we were more efficient...

As soon as someone makes the same work for less money while the company keeps the profits, it's short-sighted slave-labour!

In Germany we saw the consequences: 20 years ago, they tried to help east Germany by huge investments and lower wages/loner work times (40h instead of 35h/week). They gained nothing from it! Instead of creating new jobs, west German-companies moved production to east Germany (and getting money from the state from it, because they invested!). Many companies broke down and instead of slowly rising wages, they're fighting with eastern Europe now!

East Germany, while operating on a much higher-standard now (they were controlled by the Sovjets 40 years, which didn't invest anything), wasn't the winner of this game, it was the victim, like the others, too!

The differences in social standards between Japan and Taiwan or even Thailand/China are much bigger than this example (east vs. wesst Germany) making it even worse!

The UK noticed it too, they were so desperate that they became whore for Japanese Investors with low wages and taxes - which now go to eastern Europe, while the UK has spend billions to gain a little bit stability for a few decades and slipping back into this nightmare!

The products didn't become cheaper, the companies didn't become healthier - that's not economics, that's  shortsighted bs!

Why are the Canon-DSLR not much more expensive than the sub-D3-Nikons (made in Thailand with about 1/10 of the wages)?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:10:22 am by georgl »

dalethorn

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »

It's one thing to go offshore - it's another to cut quality.  Consumers don't care as much where it's made as what quality it is.  If the offshore production quality is as good as the main production center's, that probably indicates a good relationship that will ultimately benefit both manufacturing parties, and the consumers. In the case of Casio, who produced the excellent 10 mp EXZ-1000 pocket camera (made in Japan) 4 years ago, when they had the newer models (EXZ-1080 etc.) manufactured in China, a co-worker bought one and we compared them in side-by-side shooting.  No matter what we did with the 1080, and another sample we exchanged it for, the results showed that the new series were (excuse the term) crap. The prices were lower, so perhaps the consumers were happy. Casio can get away with that with pocket cameras, but Canon and Nikon would have to be very careful with DSLR production.

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 08:00:02 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
In the case of Casio, who produced the excellent 10 mp EXZ-1000 pocket camera (made in Japan) 4 years ago, when they had the newer models (EXZ-1080 etc.) manufactured in China, a co-worker bought one and we compared them in side-by-side shooting.  No matter what we did with the 1080, and another sample we exchanged it for, the results showed that the new series were (excuse the term) crap.
Unfortunately not surprising the camera made in China was crap. We've bought a lot of products from both China and Taiwan and for the two same looking products, the product bought in Taiwan may have lasted several years but the Chinese equivalent lasted several months at best. Really poor!

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 08:57:57 pm »

Quote from: ChrisJR
Unfortunately not surprising the camera made in China was crap. We've bought a lot of products from both China and Taiwan and for the two same looking products, the product bought in Taiwan may have lasted several years but the Chinese equivalent lasted several months at best. Really poor!

In my opinion that may well be attributed to cultural, history and development. My observation is that Japanese appear to have problems in China due historical reasons (Nanjing etc) and because when there is a problem they switch off rather than admitting to it! Quality control is key for work in China, and while low skilled workers may be needed it can take one person to control quality of a a worker and a third to make sure both do their jobs. This said, China is changing amazing fast and Chinese are learning amazing fast (read compared to what Japan went through since end of war). Indeed I have seen Chinese owned and run companies produce better than ones with Japanese influence! While certain Japanese companies today produce quality, others live on a 'reputation' that Japanese means 'quality', but fail to reach it and admit to and correct problems. My bet is on the Chinese in here. Taiwan has of course been developed longer than China, and so has Korea. Korea in fact tend to stick to a quality system to a certain level, sometimes high, sometimes slight less. Or to give perspective... let me quote the response by one young Korean engineer who was with me from Korea to Shanghai on business travel the other year: "wow, I had not idea Shanghai was so modern". They think they are still in communist lives. Have you seen the luxury cars that show up on streets in Shanghai? BMW have had more hit with 7-series than 3-series. 7-series is used by businesses. What do you use in States? I lived there too... Having lived in both Shanghai and Korea and travelled much between Shanghai and Korea during my time in Korea, the interesting I observed was that modern living Chinese in Shanghai appeared to be ahead of the general Korean within their minds, simply Korean culture hold Koreans in very tight grip. Perhaps similar with Japan?

My last PC notebook was Fujitsu made in Japan, it was a total crap disaster and they failed to recognize. Mamiya ZD had problems and Mamiya switched off refusing recognize. As far as in my line of work, I should not detail, but Japanese sure can mean the complete and utter opposite to quality. My unibody Mac is assembled in China and is brilliant. So is my Shen Hao made in CHINA, brilliant. Last one all Chinese brand by way. After the war, Japan was small and still is small country. China is BIG. Like it or not...

You think future? Sure, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines etc, but they are all small.

Above said with sixteen years living outside Europe, a total of 9 countries and having been to 39, and that is far from all because there are over 200 in this world..., not that I plan on many more.  

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:03:21 pm by Anders_HK »

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 04:21:57 pm »

I think it was Bernard who said something to the effect that, in the end, all the countries will reach a level where wages are about equal.

I very much doubt this because that would lead to stability - or would it be stagnation?

I believe it was Soros who declared that the markets are NEVER in a state of stability, that it is their very imbalance that allows them to work.

However, I do believe that we will adapt to ever decreasing standards in most things, but with a superior surface gloss that deludes us into thinking that massive improvements have been achieved under the hood.

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 05:44:09 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I think it was Bernard who said something to the effect that, in the end, all the countries will reach a level where wages are about equal.

I very much doubt this because that would lead to stability - or would it be stagnation?

I believe it was Soros who declared that the markets are NEVER in a state of stability, that it is their very imbalance that allows them to work.

However, I do believe that we will adapt to ever decreasing standards in most things, but with a superior surface gloss that deludes us into thinking that massive improvements have been achieved under the hood.

Rob,

I don't think I wrote that. I just said that I welcome a situation where hard working people in countries like Thailand somehow see their level of poverty being reduced thanks to investement from companies like Nikon.

Cheers,
Bernard

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35:49 pm »

In the past, technology moved from China and India to the West, and now it's moving back again. It's all part of the ebb and flow of human activity.

Cheers,
Kumar

Dan Wells

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 02:31:07 am »

There are different ways of manufacturing things in China (like there are anywhere else). Popular Photography ran a VERY interesting article a few years ago about a visit to a Chinese Nikon factory (owned by Nikon, rather than a subcontractor). The workers were treated very well, and paid wages that (while low by Western standards) made them decidedly middle-class or better in low cost of living China. Quality control was superb, up to Japanese standards, and the equipment was gleaming and modern. At the opposite extreme are factories owned and run by the People's Liberation Army (the Chinese army). Workers receive 20 cents an hour or so, with all sorts of illegal deductions and forced overtime. Most of the worst of these factories make clothing and low-cost, low-complexity electronics. It wouldn't make any sense to make DSLRs in those conditions (ethics and morals aside), because there are so many parts that need to be aligned correctly, and you can't get precision work out of slave labor (the Nazis famously tried, and got a lot of weapons that didn't work - the extreme case was trying to make slaves pack parachutes - you can imagine the results - in at least one case, British soldiers found a note in a dead Nazi's unopened parachute from the Jewish slave who had sabotaged it, wishing the British well and pleading for rescue). A point and shoot has MANY fewer critical alignments (the lens does, but that can be assembled in better conditions elsewhere), and is at risk for really terrible manufacturing. I don't know of any company (except maybe Pentax, who would subcontract to huge Samsung) who subcontracts out DSLR manufacturing, and almost all abusive manufacturing takes place at poorly known subcontractors, NOT at factories owned by big, well-known companies who have global codes of conduct governing how their workers are treated, as well as huge amounts to lose if abuses are exposed. Consumer electronics that don't involve precision mechanics or optics (including computers where the precision parts like chips and hard drives are brought into the assembly plant already encapsulated) are at a much greater risk.
      Another factor is that even a popular DSLR is made in much smaller quantities  (100,000 units/month is extremely high) than something like an iPod or an Xbox (which could be well over a million units/month), and a high-end DSLR like a D3x or a 1Ds mkIII is virtually handmade by teams of engineers in quantities of a couple thousand per month. Nikon Sendai (Japan), where the D3 series, the D700 and the most expensive lenses are made, doesn't have assembly lines at all - instead, a team of several skilled workers assembles an entire camera or lens from subassemblies and hands it off to another team for testing. This is undoubtably more expensive, but it also leads to more skilled and interested workers and a higher quality product.

-Dan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:32:23 am by Dan Wells »

georgl

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:31 pm »

It's a very complex topic and clearly hits the limits of my English-skills, I won't react to every written word, just some basics, I'll try to comprehend in a understandable and effective way:

1. Wages are extremely different, especially in classical "low-wage-countries" the so-callled "globalization" created extreme differences in society and social standards
Yes, in countries like Taiwan or even China, modern mega-cities exist, they're shiny, they're new and can create a high life-quality for some people. But for the majority, this life-quality is unreachable, illusional - those are the people who actually do the work that was off-shored/outsourced from high-wage-countries.
A few numbers, they're not 100% precise but may give a basic idea about the dimensions we're talking about - workers wages per month:

Chinese workers get about 50-150$/month for over 50h/week, Nikon pays about 150$ in Thailand, a japanese worker gets about 1800$ while the minimum wage in Taiwan is just 500$, rarely over 1000$/month are paid for workers, many guest-workers (e.g. from the Philippines) work in Taiwanese fabs for minimum wages.
"Craftsmen" (people which learned their job for several years and are the backbone of "Made in Germany" production) in Germany usually get about 2500-5000$, from their perspective, even East German workers or north-American workers are cheap (Mercedes/BMW pays German workers twice as much as American workers).

2. Lower life-costs don't justify lower wages in low-labour-countries
Yes, many basic things may be cheaper (food...) while others are quite often (health care) exorbitant. But to be part of a globalized economy, they'll have to be able to participate as consumers, just like workers in the high-wages-countries do. Most low-wage-workers cannot buy the products they manufacture. Audi has 6000 employees in Hungary and only about 1200 Audis are sold in Hungary every year (an by Hungarian-standards well-paid Audi-Worker has to work decades to pay for a basic Audi!).

3. Low-wage-countries profit from investments that are created by offshoring production from high-wage-countries
No, the companies try to cut costs, the people who manufacture the production in the new fab will basically do the same work but will be paid less, therefore have less consume power to buy products, bringing even the company which tried to cut costs in the first place into trouble! The state has to pay high subventions to "seduce" foreign investors, has to pay for infrastructure and guarentee low wages and low ecological standards, a very high price! The workers, even if better paid/treated than before, are victims, too, they hardly get a chance to participate in the technological/financial development. The investors are like grasshoppers! The countries become highly dependent of them!

4. Todays world-economy is hard, you'll have to be competitive to survive
Yes, and it was always this way! But basic economic rules always apply, even if they're unconvenient!

There are two ways to make production cheaper and competetive:

a) Low-labour-manufacturing with little investments in production-technology, with low production depth, sometimes the whole production is outsourced to OEMs - the company/brand just has to design and sell  the products. Everything is taken care of by the OEM, environmental and social regulations are low, subventions high. The production itself (whenever possible) is made by hand or with primitive assembly aids: robust, fast, unexpensive and easy to outsource when the conditions in the fab hit a critical point after a few years (workers become greedy and organize, government is wondering where the toxic waste has went...).

It's a very common way to deal with production today, just as for Nikon, offshoring 1000 jobs from Japan to Taiwan is only one step into this direction (Taiwanese mainboard-manufacturers already offshored nearly all their production to China - their biggest political enemy - another complex topic).
Banks/stock-markets with "modern" investment-strategies and globalization worked in favor of this short-sighted strategy, because it's short-sighted itself

Long-sighted high investments into sophisticated production technology. Complex work is done by skilled workers, "stupid" work is done by machines, which are maintained by skilled workers, too.

This is a strategy which is common with succesful companies which are independent from outside investors (banks, hedge-fonds, shareholders). It's expensive in the beginning, but pays off after some time - it's more efficient than a) and makes the company/products more unique and difficult to copy which is very important today...

It's not directly connected to quality itself, a) ensures quality to the customers demands by selection, we had Chinese/eastern European suppliers which had to throw away 90% of all parts!  allows for better quality-control/management over time but this know-how is usually transferred to low-wage-fabs of the company, too. Skilled workers with a long-term relationship to the company/product/manufacturing process are crucial to technological improvement,
But even mainly high-wage-produced products can suffer from low-quality-components from low-labour-locations and the customer will never know...

You don't have to believe me, just think of the shoe-industry. People in high-wage-countries pay several billion $ a year for them but >99% of them are manufactured under primitive conditions with low-quality, which hasn't improved over decades in low-wage-countries, while the "consumer-countries" only have a few thousand employees in this sector left... This imbalance is major problem.
The opposite example is Swatch. Not just expensive products (like Omega) but also quite simple, payable products are made entirely in Switzerland (>50$/h!!!) because of the unique know-how in fine-mechanics and mechatronics, entirely manufactured in-house - the worldwide market-leader!

I'll stop here, we will see if Nikon will choose a long-sighted strategy or will go the same route as others, but it's important for all of us, we're the consumers, what we don't buy isn't produced or sold, we decide, we have to care!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:34:13 pm by georgl »
Pages: [1]   Go Up