Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D banding noise  (Read 4836 times)

zev

Canon 5D banding noise
« on: March 03, 2007, 04:16:08 am »

I have happily owned my 5D for almost a year now. Every so often it would give me severe banding in roughly one out of every thousand exposures. I figured it was just a fluke thing and, seeing as it was relatively infrequent, I just let it go.

Now i am experienceing hi level and low level horizontal banding in all of my photographs (most noticeable in shadow areas) even it 100 ISO and with varied lenses. (16-35, 50mm1.4, 24-70).

Has anybody else experienced this issues? Were you able to find a solution?

Best Rgards,
Zev Fisher

John Sheehy

Canon 5D banding noise
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:36:31 am »

Now i am experienceing hi level and low level horizontal banding in all of my photographs (most noticeable in shadow areas) even it 100 ISO and with varied lenses. (16-35, 50mm1.4, 24-70).[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If it has gotten worse, and you are doing everything the same, then it is probably a malfunction of some sort (a small amount of banding exists in just about all DSLRs, often more visible at high ISOs on Canons because of the low 2D rando noise).

Besides the camera, Radio interference and a faulty flash could be the problem, as well.  Sometime specific lenses make noise when focusing, but you have to have the camera set in suvch a way that focusing can occur immediately after exposure for it to be an issue.

mcmorrison

Canon 5D banding noise
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:28:37 am »

Hello,

I have just today discovered a banding in my 5D, that I have owned for a little under a year. The photo is of a painting reproduction, and in certain areas, mostly light colored with the canvas texture showing, I see distinct blue diagonal bands. I attach a zip file that has in it crops of one of the banding areas; one from LR and one from Aperture. Since the banding is the same in LR and AP I am ruling out raw converter issues. The zip also has the original RAW file. ISO 100, f/8, 5.0 seconds. EF24-105mm F/4L IS USM lens.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,

Michael Morrison

Well, I can't get the file to upload to the forum, so here's a link . . .

5D Stripes Zip File

Slough

Canon 5D banding noise
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:40:19 pm »

Hello,

I have just today discovered a banding in my 5D, that I have owned for a little under a year. The photo is of a painting reproduction, and in certain areas, mostly light colored with the canvas texture showing, I see distinct blue diagonal bands.

My guess would be Moire, which is basically an artifact that appears when a pattern in the image has roughly the same spatial frequency as the sensor pixels. I believe it is the same principle as beating between similar two sound frequencies.

John Sheehy

Canon 5D banding noise
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

My guess would be Moire, which is basically an artifact that appears when a pattern in the image has roughly the same spatial frequency as the sensor pixels. I believe it is the same principle as beating between similar two sound frequencies.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105040\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's my guess, too. It only occurs in a certain color paint in certain tonal range, so my guess is that the paint is relatively transparent and is exposing some repeating pattern that it is covering, perhaps even the canvas itself.

mcmorrison

Canon 5D banding noise
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 04:49:59 pm »

Hello,

Thanks! Yes, I have thought of moire, but the bands seem so straight and uniform, a pattern I don't associate with moire. . .  I suppose that if the raised parts of the canvas, that have some extra paint on them, are at exactly the correct frequency to correspond with some multiple of the photosite spacing on the sensor that this might explain it? It seems too coincidental?

Many thanks,

Michael Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up