Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affordable 22" widescreen monitor?  (Read 3398 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Affordable 22" widescreen monitor?
« on: March 03, 2007, 09:03:36 am »

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen monitor for photo editing (Lightroom and PS) as well as gaming. Therefore I need a combination of good color reproduction and fast response time (10ms or smaller). It also needs to have HDCP/DVI-D for futureproofing.

It seems that 24" is outside my budget although I haven't found any 24" S-IPS monitors - and true 1080p would be nice -, and 20" is a bit too small as dot pitch is too small for my liking. I'm willing to spend around $500, although I could be persuaded to shell out up to a $1000 for a great 24".

I found a very nice link from Anandtech which has "recommended" monitors, and the Samsung 215TW at 21" seems to be quite a nice monitor. It's not S-IPS but I don't know if that's a "requirement" for a good photo editing monitor. There are no 22" or 24" monitors listed in the linked post.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...4&enterthread=y

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

DaveLon

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 09:33:06 am »

Have you considered the Apple 23 inch display currently selling for $1099 Canadian so about $930 US.

Dave S

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:04:37 pm »

If you are serious about accurate color reproduction and image editing you are going to have to sacrifice the response time. Generally the LCD monitors with fast response time do not have accurate shadow detail and tonal gradation.

Samsung has just introduced the Syncmaster XL20 which is a widescreen LCD that is illuminated by LED arrays of RGB rather than flouescent backlighting. It is a professional model intended for color reproduction and comes with it's own calibrator. It is being released this month with a price of $1900. The ICC profiles created by the calibrator are stored in the monitors LUT and not the video card allowing for very accurate cross platform color.
Gerald J Skrocki

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 08:36:11 pm »

If you are serious about accurate color reproduction and image editing you are going to have to sacrifice the response time. Generally the LCD monitors with fast response time do not have accurate shadow detail and tonal gradation.

Samsung has just introduced the Syncmaster XL20 which is a widescreen LCD that is illuminated by LED arrays of RGB rather than flouescent backlighting. It is a professional model intended for color reproduction and comes with it's own calibrator. It is being released this month with a price of $1900. The ICC profiles created by the calibrator are stored in the monitors LUT and not the video card allowing for very accurate cross platform color.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, but as I mentioned, that's way over my budget.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 09:01:43 pm »

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 213T, which is no longer made, but which was somewhere around $700 when I got it. It has been terrific for me and calibrates well. If I had to buy a new one, I would definitely look at Samsungs that are in the under $1000 range.

I should add that I use mine mostly for PhotoShop, and I do not do any gaming, so I don't know how it would be for that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 09:02:43 pm by EricM »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up