Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Asset Management solutions for small groups?  (Read 5506 times)

gryffyn

• http://www.tarafrost.com
Image Asset Management solutions for small groups?
« on: January 24, 2006, 12:12:39 pm »

I have a need for an image asset management solution where I can rank, tag and categorize my large collection of raw files (NEF's in my case, since I'm a Nikonian).

I know there are many tools that do this, including PS/Bridge, Portfolio, the beta LightRoom and others.

But I need one where the the ranking, tag and categorization info can be shared amongst multiple users. For example, other users on separate PC's (all networked together though) can search the library using metadata and rankings.  I don't really want a browser-based solution, since the UI tends to be too basic for what I want to do, and it's not necessary on a local network.

Any recommendations for software tools worth lookning at that can do this, and that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:13:36 pm by gryffyn »
.....Andrzej

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 03:30:35 pm »

Although I'm only a single user, I have recently been through this process when deciding whether to upgrade my Portfolio 7 to Portfolio 8 or switch to iView Media Pro 3. Both are supposedly available in versions to support workgroups, though Portfolio is said to be the better choice in this regard.

I switched to iView Media Pro because I preferred its interface after trying both of them. I am around a month into my user experience with IVMP, and don't regret the choice.

Both programs will allow you to annotate NEF files with captions, descriptions, keywords, and IPTC-conformant metadata, but this data is stored in the program's catalog only. Neither one, to my knowledge, will allow you to imbed this data into NEF files. To do this, you'll have to convert the files to DNG format first; then you can imbed metadata just like you can for JPEG or TIFF files.

I doubt you will find a workgroup-capable solution to be anything BUT expensive, however, so brace yourself.

Check out www.extensis.com and www.iview-multimedia.com for more information about these two.
michael sebast

Gabe

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 05:51:52 pm »

Although I'm only a single user, I have recently been through this process when deciding whether to upgrade my Portfolio 7 to Portfolio 8 or switch to iView Media Pro 3. Both are supposedly available in versions to support workgroups, though Portfolio is said to be the better choice in this regard.

I switched to iView Media Pro because I preferred its interface after trying both of them. I am around a month into my user experience with IVMP, and don't regret the choice.

Both programs will allow you to annotate NEF files with captions, descriptions, keywords, and IPTC-conformant metadata, but this data is stored in the program's catalog only. Neither one, to my knowledge, will allow you to imbed this data into NEF files. To do this, you'll have to convert the files to DNG format first; then you can imbed metadata just like you can for JPEG or TIFF files.

I doubt you will find a workgroup-capable solution to be anything BUT expensive, however, so brace yourself.

Check out www.extensis.com and www.iview-multimedia.com for more information about these two.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll throw-in my vote for IVMP as well. It's a fantastic piece of software (although I'm speaking strictly from a Mac user's perspective -- I'm not sure how it fares on the other side of the fence).

I didn't like Portfolio's interface either, but I have heard others mention that it's a bit more robust form a workgroup POV as well.. I did find IVMP to be MUCH nicer to use though, and from the sound of what you're trying to do, it should be perfectly capable.

I'm pretty sure you'll find demos for both at the sites Mikeseb listed -- give them a try!

(Whatever you do, just stay away from Cumulus unless you've got your own IT department. It's a real pig.)

gryffyn

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 03:29:57 pm »

I'll throw-in my vote for IVMP as well.
I'm pretty sure you'll find demos for both at the sites Mikeseb listed -- give them a try!

Seems like IVMP will do the trick, at least according to the reading I've done.  My workgroup requirements are pretty simple.  Typically only one person would edit/maintain the catalogues, with 1-2 people searching/browsing them.  IVMP can handle that according to some of the experts out there, and based on an email response from the iView folks themselves.

I'm going to download the latest IVMP demo and manual and will see how it fits my workflow.  I REALLY like that it can import/export metadata in XML format, since I'm pretty handy with XSLT transforms.  That would make it easier to migrate to a different DAM tool in the future, if that ever became desireable (eg. if Lightroom evolves into a decent DAM tool).  

I also ordered the DAM Book (Digital Asset Management for Photographers) from Amazon, since it looks like a great reference and guidebook on the whole subject.
http://www.thedambook.com/

I figured by the time I read the book and evaluate the IVMP demo, I'll know if it will do the trick for me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 10:10:41 am by gryffyn »
.....Andrzej

gryffyn

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 10:56:32 am »

The DAM book arrived while I was diving down in Roatan (90F + temps in the Caribbean!).....so I'll probably have it read by the weekend and will start my eval of IVMP.
.....Andrzej

Hank

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 11:14:46 am »

I can't say how universal it is, but one small stock agency I'm acquainted with feels their world finally got on track when they started using StockView for DAM.  It isn't cheap but along with InView and their other tools, it has proved a very powerful solution.

Second hand info, but I'm studying it carefully for my own uses along your lines.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 06:35:47 pm »

This is a situation covered fairly easily with iMatch and is reasonably well documented for one person updating and several people browsing the database. A new version is due in the next couple of days (weeks, months, years?) which will include several enhancements to cataloging and image filtering, XMP import/management/editing. You can see the details here iMatch Release Notes

To make it easier to move files around you can always store your categorisation within the metadata of the file - this becomes easier with XMP sidecar files where you are not changing the original data. As soon as the new iMatch is out then I will be looking at developing a script to embed this info into the file.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

CBBN

• Christopher Bain
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 11:09:21 am »

Peter Krogh's DAM book is great, with lots of workflow suggestions for pro photographers.

Our needs are a bit different, as a publisher with uncatalogued assets, and ongoing RAW shoots that are gathering space on way too many drives.  Time to tame the beast.  Suggestions welcome for the following challenges

1.  First I need a good naming convention for historical material we're scanning.  This ranges from  
thousands of B&W prints that we bought from the Library of Congress and/or the National Archives and/or NASA in years gone by, to 200 copyshots of Beatle memorabilia that I shot in ‘95, now scanned in India, and which we’re repurposing for another book.  On top of that are a thousand images shot for a recent book on the Marine Corps, plus a few hundred RAW shots I’ll do in the coming weeks of Civil War memorabilia.  This latter material can use a date based file name, I suppose, but isn't there an argument of a naming convention that incorporates SOME suggestion of the subject?  Maybe yes, maybe no?

2.  We're looking into DAM solutions here at BN to manage all this, PLUS the few RF images we purchase.  iView Pro's tech folks told me yesterday that it isn’t recommended for a multi-user system, which is too bad since everyone seems to love it (including Peter Krogh).  I’m considering Cumulus, though at least one person here seems to hate it.  I need to have 2-3 existing people adding images, keywording, etc., but the rest of our users (my 3 photo editors and 8 staff designers) need to be able to browse and get what they need via their browsers, which seems like a good way to go.  Perhaps Portfolio can do this too, though I think you need the licensed software for any seat that needs access to the high rez downloads.

Obviously Cumulus is pricey ($6000 for the upgrade from v5, which someone bought here and didn't use....hmmmm I wonder why      )

Any thoughts or suggestions on this quagmire would be appreciated.

Chris

Christopher Bain
Photography Director
Barnes & Noble
New York, NY 10010
212-633-3358
cbain@bn.com

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 04:40:25 am »

I've got links to screenshots and info about various DAMs here.

If you choose to go with iView, you can find a 15% discount on the above page.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

gryffyn

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 09:50:16 am »

If you choose to go with iView, you can find a 15% discount on the above page.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86527\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did buy a copy of iView MediaPro, and did get the discount (similar one available from the DAMUseful site too).

I do have some concerns now that Microsoft has bought iView.  And recent editions seem to have performance problems....especially if your images are accessed across a netwok, which is the case for many of us.

We'll see how this one plays out...
.....Andrzej

CBBN

• Christopher Bain
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 01:14:26 pm »

For that matter, Portfolio Server runs just over $6k as well, plus $235 I believe for each client...

gryffyn

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 01:23:22 pm »

For that matter, Portfolio Server runs just over $6k as well, plus $235 I believe for each client...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Way too rich for my blood.  That would pay for the 200-400 VR lens I lust after. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:23:39 pm by gryffyn »
.....Andrzej

shamsus

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 02:04:21 am »

small workgroup + relatively  small number of asssets ( < 50,000) + need for simple management and ease of use + low cost = Thumbsplus, or portfolio  (you can share the catalog without the server setup.

ms
Pages: [1]   Go Up