Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should i keep Contax 645 and buy a Digital back?  (Read 6649 times)

GLNYC

Should i keep Contax 645 and buy a Digital back?
« on: February 23, 2007, 06:51:21 pm »

Hello,

I bought my Contax 645 a few years back with the 80, 120 and the 45-90.   As you know, brand new, it was not a cheap purchase.  Truly, i think it is a great camera and have used it professionally for fashion, beauty, travel and portraiture shoots on location and in studio and have a Imacon 646 to use for scanning.  At this point in my career, I need to go digital and still have the ability to shoot film, though do not have a enough money to buy a great digital set up without selling my Contax 645.  My question is in two parts -1. what would be the best digital back for the Contax 645 for around $6000.00? Or would it be better to buy a whole new set up and sell my Contax 645 gear?  Seems like everyone is using the H1 and H2.  Any suggestions/advise would be great, this is how i make my living so i have to be smart about it.  Thank you.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:33:46 pm »

Hello,

I bought my Contax 645 a few years back with the 80, 120 and the 45-90.   As you know, brand new, it was not a cheap purchase.  Truly, i think it is a great camera and have used it professionally for fashion, beauty, travel and portraiture shoots on location and in studio and have a Imacon 646 to use for scanning.  At this point in my career, I need to go digital and still have the ability to shoot film, though do not have a enough money to buy a great digital set up without selling my Contax 645.  My question is in two parts -1. what would be the best digital back for the Contax 645 for around $6000.00? Or would it be better to buy a whole new set up and sell my Contax 645 gear?  Seems like everyone is using the H1 and H2.  Any suggestions/advise would be great, this is how i make my living so i have to be smart about it.  Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think there is any useful back you could get for $6K. There's no reason to sell the Contax either - you will only pay more to trade over to the Hass for no image quality gain. Either increase your budget (significantly) or keep waiting.

GLNYC

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 08:01:49 pm »

There is a P20 for around $6000.00, i can get here in Manhattan.  I am not sure about it.   I can also lease one i guess or increase my budget.

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:09:57 pm »

A P20 will get you "in the door" so to speak.  Prices will probably come down in the next month or two as P-owners trade in their P-backs for the Plus versions.  The P20 is a square sensor, so that's something to consider.  With a 4:5 crop you'll lose 20% right from the start, or 25% with a 3:4 crop.  Somebody in another post said they could get a P20 for $4500 - that didn't sound 1/2 bad to me.

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 09:07:44 pm »

A P20 will get you "in the door" so to speak.  Prices will probably come down in the next month or two as P-owners trade in their P-backs for the Plus versions.  The P20 is a square sensor, so that's something to consider.  With a 4:5 crop you'll lose 20% right from the start, or 25% with a 3:4 crop.  Somebody in another post said they could get a P20 for $4500 - that didn't sound 1/2 bad to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree that today's medium format systems are all very good and you are not likley to find much difference between either two. I use Contax and I love the camera. And if you already have the Contax system, I think it is logical to keep it and invest the money on digital back, and in the future if needed, you can always have the back retrofitted with electronic adapter plate to use on other system. I think Phase One is doing it for may be around 1,000-1,500 USD, at least that's what my dealer offer me,

GLNYC

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 09:57:19 pm »

Thank you for the advise.  Buying equipment can quickly become stressful for me.  John, if you do not mind me asking, where is that post about it being $4500? that is a great deal.  So i guess the big question now is there a big enough of a difference between the P20 and P25 or P21 to invest in one them instead.  What is the crop like on the P21 and P25?  This forum is great!

Ian_Donald

• http://www.iandonald.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 12:09:20 am »

Thank you for the advise.  Buying equipment can quickly become stressful for me.  John, if you do not mind me asking, where is that post about it being $4500? that is a great deal.  So i guess the big question now is there a big enough of a difference between the P20 and P25 or P21 to invest in one them instead.  What is the crop like on the P21 and P25?  This forum is great!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102736\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have owned both the Kodak Proback and the P20. They were similar in size - around 36mm x36mm square. My current P25 has a 4:3 crop and is 48.9mm x 36.9mm if I remember correctly.

Sorry, don't know about the P21.

Hope this helps,

Ian

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 12:56:34 am »

p21 : 44x33

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 01:04:23 am »

GLNYC - 5th or 6th message into the thread - http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=14831

I already emailed because I'd be interested too

GLNYC

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 04:12:54 pm »

Thanks John.  Can not wait to get my hands on one of these backs.

michaelprince

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 09:15:22 pm »

I had the H1 and sold it and bought a Contax.
By and large, I am much happier.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 11:38:27 am »

I shoot with the Contax and a Kodak ProBack. The Contax/ Kodak combination has produced stellar results despite the back's limitations (slow and clunky ergonomics, lousy noise at ISO above 200, tendency to overheat in warm weather) and I've been satisfied from that standpoint.

I got the back a few months before the Aptus 17 refurbs became widely available, for a bit more than I paid for the Kodak.  I'd have gone with the Aptus for near the same money if I'd had the choice, strictly from the support standpoint; Kodak will support the ProBack thru the end of this year, then we're on our own. I plan to send mine in for a CLA later in the year to maybe head off any problems and then hope I don't drop or damage it somehow! If I can get three years' use out of it I'll be pleased, then hope that whatever comes along will work with the Contax.

I agree that you'd be lucky to find a compatible back for $6k. Even when Contax-version ProBacks were available on eBay, they always seemed to fetch a premium over the Hassy and Mamiya versions. Even if you could find a Contax version ProBack, I think the P20 or P25 or one of the Aptus equivalents would be a better bet.

Have you seen the absurd prices for Contax accessories like waist-level finders and finder screens on eBay? And for the 120 and 35? Geesh. And try finding a lens hood!
michael sebast
Pages: [1]   Go Up