Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak Proback 645M  (Read 4512 times)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Kodak Proback 645M
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:33:28 am »

What's the market like for a used MF digital back?

I have a pristine Kodak 645M Proback digital back complete system for Mamiya 645AFD with the optional AA filter and Kodak's optional Custom Looks module---all in the box.  It's a really nice system but I'm hesitant with selling larger ticket items by web auction with what I think is a limited market or to those that really have no idea what a MF digital back is.

Anyone with experience selling a used back?  Or know someone interested in a Kodak ProBack?

ken

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 12:58:01 pm »

If you list it looking like you are a pro photographer with a sensible reserve and good pics of it and good comunications surely Ebay  and link from here ??

Mostly the sellers of this kit look dodgy not the buyers
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:58:40 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

jfricks

Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:17 pm »

Ken, too bad it's not for a Contax as I'd be interested.  Kodak Probacks have been going for anywhere between $4000 and $5500. I think most sellers have been throwing the AA filter in as a value-add. You'll find them listed on occasion with eBay...it's usually buyer beware because there are so many fraudulent listings.  However, I think you will find eager buyers at the site if you decide to list.

RobertJ

Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:26 pm »

Morgan is right.

Take professional looking studio images of the actual back and accessories, and let the buyers know you are a professional.  Post links to your website showing images taken with the back, etc.

You'll be much better off than some of the bogus listings you see on Ebay.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 06:00:33 pm »

I have sold expensive items like lenses and an Imacon scanner for $4K+.
No problems on eBay.
Like the other have said.
Good product shots and detailed description will do the trick!
However never send the goods before you have the $ in your account or hands,
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Graham Welland

Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:42:28 pm »

As mentioned, the biggest issue is with rogue sellers/hijacked accounts where the backs are listed at very low prices and obviously troll for suckers.

As regards bad buyers, I would definitely put a provision in the eBay auction that no zero feedback or unverifiable bids will be accepted. Similarly I would be explicit about STRICT payment & shipping options and don't budge on following this through. Don't be surprised if you get a few follow up emails from fraudsters if you don't sell the first time around - genuinely interested buyers will use eBay's follow up email service and not outside of eBay.

In the listing photos I would also follow the previous guidelines about making the presentation professional, clear and also add some background material that includes your eBay account ID and even date. This will prevent fraudulent sellers reusing your material later plus will also signal to potential purchasers that the auction is real and not a fraud.

Prices for 645M are much lower than the $4-5k mentioned here. You may be lucky but the going rate is closer to half this amount. Check with secondhand brokers like KEH and you'll be shocked at the value of these today. Hasselblad and Contax mount backs hold their value slightly better for no other reason than they are arguably harder to find.

I recently sold 2x 645M's privately but at nothing like $4k each. (average was $2.5k) One thing that is vital is to include the Mamiya/Kodak view screen as these are no longer available. I do know of a dealer in the UK (TeamWork Photo) who can provide a custom view screen if required. I bought both of my 645M's on eBay from very obviously reputable sellers and we verified each other over the phone/email so that there was no mis-understanding or mis-trust.

To make it sell you need to put together a complete set of back shots, including the original Kodak box & cable sets, plus a shot of base with the serial number (legible!), image of the rear with the actuation count and a realistic explanation of the backs usage to date. If you price the back with a reasonable reserve then I think you'll be surprised how many genuine purchasers are out there.

Finally: It's a great system at Canon 5D level of money but you're not going to get 1DSII type of money any more. Sad but true.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 07:45:18 pm by gwelland »
Graham

Ken Doo

Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:38:23 am »

Thank you everyone for your insights and tips.

I'll have to set aside some time to photograph everything in the set.

For those interested, my Ebay profile is Kendoophoto

Thanks!

ken

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 06:16:18 pm »

Ken, I just ordered a Mamiya 645 AFDII from B&H - it was listed as a demo.  I don't have it yet (it'll be here Monday).  I shoot with a 1Ds II as well as an X-Pan and wanted to broaded or branch out to true MF.  My thought at first was to run film for awhile then get a DB if the price was right.  So the question(s) are - why are you selling it?  And how much do you want for it?  Don't know if I can swing it as I'm getting ready for a trip to Alaska but if the price was right I might be able to do it earlier than what I had thought.

Ken Doo

Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 10:49:18 pm »

I am selling my Kodak Proback 645M simply because I now have the Phase P30.  I really had no real need to "upgrade" as the Kodak 645M really does produce consistently excellent wall portraits quite easily.  But I felt that I really deserved a nice 2006 Christmas present----and it was the P30 or something I'm sure would be much more foolish being at that middle-age phase of life.  

ken

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 11:08:17 pm »

hi Ken,

sometimes one needs such "presents" and foolish steps: I wish you to enjoy your Christmas gift!

All the best,
Thierry

I am selling my Kodak Proback 645M simply because I now have the Phase P30.  I really had no real need to "upgrade" as the Kodak 645M really does produce consistently excellent wall portraits quite easily.  But I felt that I really deserved a nice 2006 Christmas present----and it was the P30 or something I'm sure would be much more foolish being at that middle-age phase of life. 

ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Ken Doo

Kodak Proback 645M
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 04:14:27 pm »

Ok---finally finished with the photos of the ProBack 645M.  It's out for auction at Ebay----see item number 200083083895
Pages: [1]   Go Up