Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Printer Cabinet  (Read 11138 times)

KJC

Canon Printer Cabinet
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:40:50 pm »

I am looking to find the dimensions of the cabinet stand that goes with the ipf5000.
It's the cabinet stand: CB17-01 for the ipf5000.
I can't seem to find the dimensions for this cabinet anywhere.  If anyone has purchased this or is familiar with the dimensions, could you please let me know of them?  Also, for those of you who have purchased this, how is its' quality?  Is it truly sturdy or is it made of thin, flimsy material?  I did notice a photo of the cabinet on the ColorHQ site.  Are the wheels sturdy or do you envision them collapsing in the not too distant future?  Would you recommend this cabinet stand?
Thanks for all of your help!
Ken

usinare

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:54:52 am »

I am looking to find the dimensions of the cabinet stand that goes with the ipf5000.
I can't seem to find the dimensions for this cabinet anywhere.  If anyone has purchased this or is familiar with the dimensions, could you please let me know of them?  Also, for those of you who have purchased this, how is its' quality?  Is it truly sturdy or is it made of thin, flimsy material?  I did notice a photo of the cabinet on the ColorHQ site.  Are the wheels sturdy or do you envision them collapsing in the not too distant future?  Would you recommend this cabinet stand?
Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the cabinet is made of metal. it appears sturdy.

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 09:42:45 am »

I can't seem to find the dimensions for this cabinet anywhere.  If anyone has purchased this or is familiar with the dimensions, could you please let me know of them?  Also, for those of you who have purchased this, how is its' quality?  Is it truly sturdy or is it made of thin, flimsy material?  I did notice a photo of the cabinet on the ColorHQ site.  Are the wheels sturdy or do you envision them collapsing in the not too distant future?  Would you recommend this cabinet stand?
Ken
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As an aside: here's another somewhat popular choice as printer stand. I have three larger units from this series (which are approximately 69" long) and find them very sturdy. I use them for assembling matted prints, framing etc. It's one of Ikea's more robust series IMO. Mine are quite solid, though I don't have this particular model, I did look at in the store.

[a href=\"http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=15846]http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...productId=15846[/url]

Casters would need to be added if mobility was desired, but I'm not too excited about stands that move because of the tendency to shake a bit during carriage movement when printing.

Good luck.

--
Dale

Alaska

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 08:41:54 pm »

What worked on this end was to use two legal sized two drawer file cabinets side by side.  Then made a top 29-3/4 x 43 x 1-1/4 and painted a gray.  All material was scrap so cost was zero.

Jim

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 09:55:37 pm »

As an aside: here's another somewhat popular choice as printer stand. I have three larger units from this series (which are approximately 69" long) and find them very sturdy. I use them for assembling matted prints, framing etc. It's one of Ikea's more robust series IMO. Mine are quite solid, though I don't have this particular model, I did look at in the store.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...productId=15846

Casters would need to be added if mobility was desired, but I'm not too excited about stands that move because of the tendency to shake a bit during carriage movement when printing.

Good luck.

--
Dale
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I totally agree on the IKEA Varde unit, as I originally wrote about it about 2.5 years ago. Here is my blurb about it:

[a href=\"http://www.andybiggs.com/article_Epson4000desk.html]IKEA Varde article[/url]

It has worked like a charm ever since.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

KJC

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:09:54 pm »

Thanks Usinare, Dale, Jim, and Andy for your replies thus far.
I cannot believe though that nobody has responded back with the dimensions; or for that matter, the quality of construction, or whether or not they are happy with the purchase of the cabinet and if they would recommend it.
Could it be that very, very few people have actually purchased this cabinet?

Andy.  I did check out the IKEA site as well as your article concerning the "Varde Kitchen Drawer Unit".  The dimensions (41¾x25⅝x35⅜) do seem to match up well with the ipf5000 (39x23x12½).  Although with the roll feed and tray attached to the printer, the depth changes to 32".  One thing that will concern me in regards to the "Varde" is that it is meant for a "kitchen utility".  How well does it stand up to the weight of a 125 - 130 lb. printer constantly on its' back?  This is one of my concerns.  The IKEA site doesn't give any sort of "weight capcity".  Obviously, it wasn't designed for that kind of use so I am just a little skeptical.  At the Uline web site, http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?mod...8-WOOD&ref=3853,
I found this 48x30 industrial size table top for $180 bucks.  The weight capacity is 500 lbs.  Sure, it doesn't have any drawers like the "Varde", but it seems to be heavy-duty and gives me about a foot extra length.  What do you think?
Or maybe I'll just take a chance and purchase the Canon stand for the ipf5000.  I'm not sure on what to do.
Ken

David White

• http://
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 02:26:32 am »

I've had my ipf5000 sitting on the Varde for the last 8 months with no problems.  The Varde unit is very solid and heavy with a 1" piece of wood for the top.  The 5000 fits perfectly on it and the drawers are great for storing paper, inks and the paper feed parts for different roll sizes.
David White

marcmccalmont

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 03:08:09 am »

I went to Home depot and bought a $99 metal toolbox. It has worked out great
Marc
Marc McCalmont

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:07:07 am »

I have had my Epson 4000 and about 50 to 75 pounds worth of inkjet paper on and inside the Varde unit for the past 2 and a half years. The construction of the unit is good enough for my needs. Regarding people replying back with the dimensions, just clicking on the link to IKEA from my blog will tell you everything you need to know. And I know many people who have purchased the Varde unit after I published the article a few years ago on this web site for Michael. Don't worry about the depth of the unit, as I suspect the IPF5000 roll paper adapter doesn't need to actually rest on anything other than the printer. Just pull the unit away from the wall. All you need to be worried about is what the footprint of the printer is, and where the feet of the printer are. Badda boom, badda bing.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 11:55:49 am »

Ken,

I bought the Canon printer stand with the IPF5000. It is constructed of study metal (steel?) and supports the printer well. Four heavy duty wheels attach to the bottom of the cabinet to make the entire unit very easy to move. The front of the cabinet has 2 metal doors which swing out from the middle to reveal a large two shelved storage unit capable of holding all the printer peripherals, papers and supplies. The stand has a black matte finish matching the printer color. The dimensions are 38 1/2in wide x 23 1/2 in deep x 26 1/2 in high (not including the wheels which add 3" to total height). The printer takes up the entire cabinet surface.
Gerald J Skrocki

filip baraka

• http://
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 12:38:28 pm »

Ken,

I bought the Canon printer stand with the IPF5000. It is constructed of study metal (steel?) and supports the printer well. Four heavy duty wheels attach to the bottom of the cabinet to make the entire unit very easy to move. The front of the cabinet has 2 metal doors which swing out from the middle to reveal a large two shelved storage unit capable of holding all the printer peripherals, papers and supplies. The stand has a black matte finish matching the printer color. The dimensions are 38 1/2in wide x 23 1/2 in deep x 26 1/2 in high (not including the wheels which add 3" to total height). The printer takes up the entire cabinet surface.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101673\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What was the price for that stand? any links or pictures?
tnx

KJC

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 02:31:32 pm »

Thanks again for all of your replies.
WOW!  "Jerry Rock":  Thanks for your reply with the dimensions!  A couple of questions:  1) the unit itself comes fully assembled and is also delivered on a pallet, correct?  2)  is the shelf adjustable?  3) its' approximate weight?  4)  Honestly, are you happy with your purchase of this printer stand, or in retrospect, would you have changed your mind, and also, would you recommend this stand to other ipf5000 owners?

Filip Baraka:  ColorHQ has a photo of the cabinet stand:   http://www.colorhq.com/index.asp?PageActio...PROD&ProdID=510
They sell it for 295.

Nextwarehouse has it for 271.03 with free shipping:http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?272799

Ken

John Hollenberg

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:34:18 pm »

Jerry,

Thanks!  Your description added to Pre-purchase FAQ section of Wiki.

--John

Dan Wells

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

I use a $49 heavy duty industrial shelving unit from Home Depot (I think it's made by WorkForce, if I recall). It is open-sided, and meant for paint cans, tools and the like (often found in a garage). I assembled it to half the intended height (it comes with two sets of uprights and I only use one), which puts the top with the printer about 30 inches off the ground. The top is 18x36 inches, which nicely holds all four of the iPF5000's feet. It's ugly, but cheap and incredibly sturdy...

-dan

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 01:25:07 pm »

I am very pleased with the Canon stand, it is perfect for the size of the printer and easily maneuverable. The shelf is firmly attached to the center of the storage unit and is not adjustable. I'm not sure of the weight, but was able to carry it up a flight of stairs with just two (small) people. The only assembly was to insert the wheels into the base of the stand. The whole unit was shipped with the printer and attached palette on the bottom, printer stand stacked on top and roller assembly on top of it. The entire package was shrink wrapped together. I did not have a lift to remove it from the delivery truck, but after removing the shrink wrap, was able to unload the pieces separately using just two people.
Gerald J Skrocki

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 09:37:54 pm »

I liked the Ikea Varde unit so much (for my Epson 4800) that I bought a second one to use for the additional drawer storage and as a proper-height work surface for my Rotatrim cutter.  It's extremely sturdy, very good looking, and at its current price of $269, a darn good bargain as well.  Andy, thanks very much for giving us all the heads-up on that.

Caveat:  The assembly is a full-bottle-of-wine effort.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:39:27 pm by Nill Toulme »

wwille

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 12:16:29 pm »

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cabinet is 23 1/2 inches from front door to back, 38 1/2 inches from one side to the other, and 26 1/4 inches tall without the wheels which add 3". I like the steel cabinet with one shelf inside and it is quite strong, weights close to 100 lbs and matches the printers color in like a matt dark grey color. Wheels are quite hefty looking, front two lock. Hope this helps.

KJC

Canon Printer Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 12:53:45 pm »

Thanks Wille

I purchased the printer with the cabinet stand about two weeks ago.
I'm glad I went with the cabinet stand instead of the "Varde" unit.
The cabinet is huge and has tremendous storage capacity, not only for your sheet paper as well as your rolls, but also to store the tray, cassette, and roll feeder too!
Not to mention that it is very easy to wheel around, if necessary.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up