Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Real World P30 Unretouched Images  (Read 13986 times)

Graham Mitchell

Real World P30 Unretouched Images
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 12:42:36 pm »

Graham

You surely have good eyes BUT it seem strange you notice artifacts / posterization in Bens P30 images and post images from your own Sinar e22 back with much much more artifacts in another thread ?

Hi Toby, I prefaced that post with the following comment: "I am using a terrible RAW converter to see my pics quickly without a Mac, so don't judge noise and colour."

I don't know how to make it more clear. I am using a 'hack' to quickly process my files on my PC. It does a terrible job compared to Capture Shop on a Mac. For one thing it reduces the image to something like 6-bit from 16-bit! I just use it to preview files at full res, and then process them properly when I get access to a Mac. I am working on getting a Mac of my own.

Btw, those white spots are highlights on tiny drops of water.

These files are clearly no indication of the Sinarback quality. When I have time I will post the difference and you will sigh with relief
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:47:40 pm by foto-z »

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 12:49:21 pm »

Wow! We've got quite a thread going here. Maybe it will help new people to the market! All great shots from everybody. I'm noticing as I continue to edit today that the skin tones and colors are really dead on straight out of the camera, makes my job easier. Just delivered some magazine files and the client was amazed and called the images very 3D looking!!! That's what makes it all worth while.

Cheers,

Ben Edmonson

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 01:12:37 pm »

All great shots from everybody.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No disrespect I think most of these shot are terrible overlit and stopped down - I understand some are tests

I wish there was a lighting /retouching forum of the quality of this forum .. any URLs ??

or Michael R do you want to expand the brief of this zone ??

"Medium Format Pre and Post production"

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

william

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 01:38:50 pm »

Without knowing which images you're referring to, I'll just say that "overlit" is subjective and often depends on the photographer's intent.  Moreover, I'm not sure what you mean by "stopped down" -- if you're saying that it would be "better" if the shots posted were only those taken at maximum aperture, I think that would reveal more about the lenses used, not the P30 as such.

Also, please keep in mind that people are *purposefully* posting unretouched shots so that potential P30 buyers can get as good an idea as possible as to how the back performs, not how good the photographer is at retouching (nor, for that matter, how good the photographer is as a photographer).  So, I'd suggest that critiques of these shots as if they're the finished product is (1) unfair and (2) not the point of the images posted here.

No disrespect I think most of these shot are terrible overlit and stopped down - I understand some are tests

I wish there was a lighting /retouching forum of the quality of this forum .. any URLs ??

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

benedmonson

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 01:52:28 pm »

Sam,
I love your honesty!!! I've got very broad shoulders and must adimit that I'm not as good a photographer as alot of folks on this board. That said all 4 images I posted are for a special education issue coming up. All three teachers or coaches only allowed me to shoot them during their free period at school. So all lighting setups were very crude and quick. Total shoot time for the lady teacher of the year was 20 minutes at which her students started pouring back into the class room. Also, I can't afford to hire an assistant at this time so I'm the photographer, digital tech and assistant all in one!!!
Anybody wanting to give me lighting tips in the future please feel to do so, I'm only trying to get better. That's why I hang out here....

Regards,

Ben Edmonson
www.benedmonson.com

SMM

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 02:08:33 pm »

I'm not as good a photographer as alot of folks on this board
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thats rubbish as my offline comments prove !

My back is optimal at 50 ISO

So as soon as I get inside I need my elinchroms - I put them on minimum and bosh Im stuck at f8 11 or 16 and the images are crisp and soulless

The same as most of these shots

Yes I do have Q flash but the light modification is very restricted -no grids ect

I cant afford digital ranger lights so I am working on ND ing my ellies

I am further interested on hot lights as I think a bit of camera shake might help

I think is is not down to lack of talent on any front it is handling the change of meduim

Anyway this is off topic if not 'off board' !

You cant afford an assistant - I cant afford better spec lights - A really honest question - would we be better of with canons and more peripherals ?

SMM
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:14:05 pm by Morgan_Moore »

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 02:13:09 pm »

just wanted to add here: there is moire with the P30....it is a lot better then canons or the P20, but it still sometimes shows up...C1 does a good job of getting rid of it, but the pattern sometimes remains....maybe C1 v4 will take care of that?

the detail on the P30 is fantastic, and no it is not too much...contrary, i though i would never say that but, all of a sudden i want more....

the P30 out of the box provides the best files i have ever seen...easy, clean, great color, great DR, no noise....

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 02:33:58 pm »

SMM

I sort of understood what you ment by overlit. But I do not think you
understood what this thread is about.

When people are puting out unfinished work for everybody to see,
then critiq is out of place.

These pictures are just startingpoints.

I also took the liberty to take a look at some of your pictures on your website.

I found this among others.

A little flat and lifeless  lightning, dont you think  

What I do agree with you is a wish for retouching topics.

Willow

[attachment=1786:attachment]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:37:19 pm by Willow Photography »
Willow Photography

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 03:08:20 pm »

When people are puting out unfinished work for everybody to see,
then critiq is out of place.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I wasnt the one who added a value judegement to the thread someone else said 'great shots everybody'

I just opposed that point of view

Maybe the poster meant 'great exmples of file' rather than 'great pictures'

My picture is indeed weak especially out of its context of being a series of local food producers - maybe it is just weak full stop

I have seen your site and would be most interested if you are starting with a file like yours and producing your excellent end product of tempting smooth beauty

How is it done??

I am interested to have opinions on my work and learn retouching and lighting from those kind enough to help

Probably no-one wants to wash thier laundy in public though or give thier secrets away - I recon this is a very hit bit of the net

No harm meant

SMM
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:11:34 pm by Morgan_Moore »

benedmonson

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 03:14:55 pm »

Morgan is right, I meant more on the lines of nice examples of P30 files and just didn't think about what I was saying. No harm no foul!

Ben

josayeruk

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 04:13:50 pm »

Here is another unretouched P30 picture.

[attachment=1784:attachment]

It is no moire on this picture, but I have moire from time to time.
So P30 is not moire free!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to say I am not so keen on the skin tone here and the moire is quite noticeable on the left her midrift.

Jo S.

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 04:23:32 pm »

Also, please keep in mind that people are *purposefully* posting unretouched shots so that potential P30 buyers can get as good an idea as possible as to how the back performs, not how good the photographer is at retouching (nor, for that matter, how good the photographer is as a photographer).  So, I'd suggest that critiques of these shots as if they're the finished product is (1) unfair and (2) not the point of the images posted here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99684\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

:: I totally agree with William ::

REGARDS

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 10:37:40 pm »

Are the P30 (and soon to be P30+) strictly for fashion and portraits?  Do the micro-lenses compromise the sharpness like an AA filter on a dSLR?  Calumet had the P30 listed for the less than a P25... I'm not understanding why.  I know the P30 has a high crop factor, so does it make the price that much cheaper?

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 10:55:59 pm »

I know the P30 has a high crop factor, so does it make the price that much cheaper?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99971\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems that way!

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 03:42:08 am »

Hi Sam Morgan_Moore,

I also had a look at your website after your comments on the quality of others work on this thread and while I think some of the pictures are good I see others that could be improved with some simple lighting aids like a scrim or reflector.

I like the shot of the old guy on the beach, but IMO the shadows under his chin spoil it, if you scrim a shot like that and then add a flash a bit from the side you get better light..

Just trying to help..

David.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:58:38 am by David Anderson »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 04:55:05 am »

if you scrim a shot like that and then add a flash a bit from the side you get better light..

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99989\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All the images in that 'book' on my  are very 'brutalist' and if they are not they should be - this is a look that is considerered by some to be awful indeed

As I said I would love a place to criitque that is a little more private

The OP is not put out with my comments I believe further discussion of my work is off topic

My comments where more aimed at the different tequniques required when shooting this kit from DSLR - all the posters have quality websites with great images I understand that their images were not thier 'product'

Brutal images attached..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 04:56:00 am by Morgan_Moore »

Phil Boorman

• http://www.philboorman.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 08:23:47 am »

I cant afford digital ranger lights so I am working on ND ing my ellies
SMM
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Morgan,

That's exactly the route I went down a couple of years ago - you might want to contact a firm called Cotech in South Wales (+44 (0)1495 725276). They make lighting gels - you can buy a whole roll of ND for about £30 - I'm still using the same roll I bought 2 years ago!

Phil
[a href=\"http://www.philboorman.co.uk]Phil Boorman Photography[/url]
[span style='color:blue'][span style='fo

benedmonson

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 10:55:07 am »

Morgan I agree with you. Why don't we on this forum that are interested form a new group to discuss serious lighting scenarios. And also critique each others work in a more private manner. I've always thought the only way to become better is to be judged by your peers who have equal or greater abilities than your self. I'm really tired of discussing sensors and more resolution when it is the quality and placement of the light combined with the photographers creative eye that really makes a shot pop!!! I would be very interested in helping get this started.

Cheers,

Ben Edmonson
www.benedmonson.com

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 08:32:46 pm »

Ditto on the lighting forum.  would be good to see one here.  i miss the one on the robgalbraith forum and i'm not paying so i can read it now that it's prophoto.

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 11:53:48 pm »

I'm all for it too, I've already learned more about lighting from you Ben by asking directly.

-Nik

Morgan I agree with you. Why don't we on this forum that are interested form a new group to discuss serious lighting scenarios. And also critique each others work in a more private manner. I've always thought the only way to become better is to be judged by your peers who have equal or greater abilities than your self. I'm really tired of discussing sensors and more resolution when it is the quality and placement of the light combined with the photographers creative eye that really makes a shot pop!!! I would be very interested in helping get this started.
Cheers,

Ben Edmonson
www.benedmonson.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up