Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Canon 70-200 F4 IS sharper than F2.8 IS brother?

(1/3) > >>

Shad0w:
Is the Canon 70-200 F4 IS sharper than F2.8 IS brother?

Use your mouse over.

Am I the only one that thinks the F4 is sharper than the F2.8 when they are both set to F4?

Click here

Also looks like there is allot more CA in the 2.8

Ive heard a few people suggest this... and that it might be due to the fact the F4 IS has newer glass along with the florite element.

Play with the Fstops and let me know what you think.

Ray:
Interesting review site. The 70-200/4 IS does appear to have marginally less CA. Not sure how significant that is in real world images on the print, but it's good to know that the new lens is not worse than the 70-200/2.8 IS.

Have you tried comparing the 50/1.2 (at f1.2) with the 50/1.4 (at f1.4)? Now there's what I would call a substantial difference.

francois:

--- Quote ---Interesting review site. The 70-200/4 IS does appear to have marginally less CA. Not sure how significant that is in real world images on the print, but it's good to know that the new lens is not worse than the 70-200/2.8 IS.
--- End quote ---
I cannot test both versions as I only own the f/4 IS now. But in the tests published in Chasseur d'image, the only technical drawbacks of the f/4 version (on a Canon 5D) were more distortion and a bit more vignetting at full aperture. Resolution was at least equal to the f/2.8 version. Unless you shoot sports or need portraiture, the f/4 IS makes more sense.

TwiceDaily:

--- Quote ---Is the Canon 70-200 F4 IS sharper than F2.8 IS brother?

Use your mouse over.

Am I the only one that thinks the F4 is sharper than the F2.8 when they are both set to F4?

Click here

Also looks like there is a lot more CA in the 2.8

Ive heard a few people suggest this... and that it might be due to the fact the F4 IS has newer glass along with the florite element.

Play with the Fstops and let me know what you think.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

I must admit I find this quite disturbing. Having run through all the different f-stop combinations, the F4.0 seems sharper everytime, the 2.8 also shows quite severe CA. I wonder if the 2.8 they had was a particularly poor copy?

The reason I am disturbed is because I have just shelled out for  the 2.8 IS version  

Although, I had read well over  2 years ago in the British publication "the British Journal  of Photography", that the F4 non IS performed better with the 1DsMK2 than the 2.8 IS. Maybe this is just the final proof.

I'm hoping the 2.8 lens they used was poor  

Shad0w:
Ive been flipping through the other test lenses they have, I know the 17-55 f2.8 IS very well and its razor sharp yet this test shows it looks like crap... something is fishy here!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version