Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop platform switch nightmare  (Read 11043 times)

Maob

Photoshop platform switch nightmare
« on: December 17, 2006, 06:34:33 am »

I would like to share my experience (and frustration) with a topic that I guess will be of interest for many readers.

In October I decided that I needed a new computer and considered the new Mac Pro as the best option; since I was working on a Windows machine I had to ponder all aspects of the switch, where my license for Photoshop was the most important--all the other software were either cross-platform (Noise Ninja, Capture One Pro, Neat Image) or eligible for a rebate if bought them again for Mac (Photokit sharpener).

Hence, I called Adobe and learned that all I had to do was to send them a signed Letter of Destruction (LOD)  and a copy of the invoice for Photoshop CS2: within a week they would have contacted me in order to arrange the payment of EUR 8.- for my new Mac Photoshop CS2. Since I lost my invoice they told me they would have used their stored copy because I bought it online on the Adobe Store.

Well... after that (having to wait a week or more for each iteration) I had to send them:

- the invoice for Photoshop 7.0 (bought on Adobe store);
- the invoice for Photoshop CS upgrade (bought on Adobe store);
- a scan of my Photoshop Elements 1.0 CD case;
- a scan of my Photoshop 7.0 box (beacause they ignored the existence of an upgrade version from Elements that, for them, figured as a Full one).

Currently I am waiting for a copy of the Photoshop CS2 invoice, which the guys from adobe store do not want to print because it is (accroding to them) useless as I bought the software there. Why? Simply because the second level support wants "facts and not words" as they clearly stated to the first level.

During this nightmare I had to watch my Mac Pro and my EPSON 7800 sitting ducks for weeks, than I installed a Try-out 30 days version of CS2... and now I am again unable to print.

I installed CS3 beta, but my serial number for Windows produces (trough Adobe Labs site) a result that does not work on Mac.

I am almost desperate. I consider the all the time Adobe lost on my case is at least worth a full Creative Suite bundle, something ridiculous especially if you think that I am a faithful customer that bought a full version, two upgrades and will surely get Lightroom and CS3 as they will be available.

If anybody from Adobe reads this, please help!

Reagards, MB.

P.S.: My decision to switch to Apple is probably the best thing I have done since buying my first DSLR (D30).

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 07:08:49 am »

I suggest you move this to the "Digital Image Processing" section. It's likely to get more attention there. Sorry I can't help myself. I'll probably have to go through this in January when I buy a Mac.

Cheers,
Kumar

Maob

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 07:12:58 am »

Thank you!

I hope that my experience will help you in January.

Regards, Maurizio.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 01:27:24 am »

In the U.S., at least, sales receipts do not seem to be necessary.   A friend just switched from PC to Mac, and this is what he told me:

"You have to call Sales at Adobe.  (1-800-833-6697). They look you up in their system and then make you download a form that you fill out and fax back to them.  (It has all the info they request (make sure you give them your latest version serial number as well as version 7 serial number (they want a full version serial along with your upgrade serial) plus a statement saying you will destroy your existing versions of the software.

"They didn't tell me they needed the second serial number until I called them yesterday to see why I hadn't got mine yet.  They only charge for shipping (unless you don't already have CS2 then they'll charge you for an upgrade as well).  I think they told me that you are limited to 5 or 7 lifetime cross platform switches."

Paul

to-mas

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 09:08:10 am »

In the U.S., at least, sales receipts do not seem to be necessary.   A friend just switched from PC to Mac, and this is what he told me:

"You have to call Sales at Adobe.  (1-800-833-6697). They look you up in their system and then make you download a form that you fill out and fax back to them.  (It has all the info they request (make sure you give them your latest version serial number as well as version 7 serial number (they want a full version serial along with your upgrade serial) plus a statement saying you will destroy your existing versions of the software.

"They didn't tell me they needed the second serial number until I called them yesterday to see why I hadn't got mine yet.  They only charge for shipping (unless you don't already have CS2 then they'll charge you for an upgrade as well).  I think they told me that you are limited to 5 or 7 lifetime cross platform switches."

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

and now somebody explain to me why somebody with legal license to cs should not use crack but spend time calling etc.

Maob

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 03:13:55 am »

Thanks to the help of a well known member of the photographic community (he offered his help after I posted also on his FORUM) Adobe contacted me again and solved my case within two weeks. I received my copy of Photoshop CS2 for Mac a couple of days ago.

TIME is not wrong about the whole issue of the man of the year being 'You'! Without the Web I honestly do not know how this issue would have solved.

MB

RichardChang

• http://www.TransitionOfTone.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:04:29 pm »

I suggest you move this to the "Digital Image Processing" section. It's likely to get more attention there. Sorry I can't help myself. I'll probably have to go through this in January when I buy a Mac.

Cheers,
Kumar
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90945\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

RichardChang

• http://www.TransitionOfTone.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:09:22 pm »

Quote from: Kumar,Dec 17 2006, 12:08 PM

If you are concerned about the switch from PC to Mac, you may want to consider a copy of Parallels (www.parallels.com), an application that can allow XP or XP Professional to run in OS X.  You do need an Intel Mac to make it fly, but it will allow you to use your PC application on the Mac.

The only functionality Parallels is missing is firewire, but that shouldn't pose a problem because one can copy files into Mac volumes, then switch to OS X, where firewire is supported.

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up