Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Mounting prints on wood?

(1/2) > >>

mshea:
I have to mount some 30x60" prints (probably Arches 88) onto wood panels. The wood will have a coating of shellac. What sort of adhesive would be best to use or, for that matter, to avoid?

Thanks,
Merrill

degrub:
Is this wood a plywood panel or joined boards  ?
If the latter, the shellac must cover all 6 sides of the panel or it will not be stable across the grain and will expand and contract with air moisture changes.
If plywood, stability is assured.

In either case, the wood surface should be wetted, sanded with 320 and possibly higher grits to remove the fuzzing. Shellac applied with light sanding/steel wooling (OOOO grade)  between coats to get a very smooth surface. Any adhesive that has an alcohol will tend to dissolve the shellac. Best bet is to call the customer service number for the adhesive manufacturer for compatibility with shellac. And test with a small paper and wood sample. A catalyzed varnish might be a better bet.

dgberg:
Former cabinetmaker now print studio owner so we have tried a bunch of things with wood.. I would not use anything solid wood. Well you can if you want but you will have problems.
The best product that we have found is Russian Birch Multiply. (Some call it Baltic Birch)
Unlike other plywoods that have voids it has an extremely tight edge grain and it stays flat. Comes unfinished. We spray edges and back to seal and then adhere Seals print Mount adhesive to the face side.
Brayer down the image, flip over trim with a razor and done. Makes for a very attractive and stable mount. I mostly use the 5/8" but pretty sure the 3/4" is still available.

We spray catalyzed lacquer here but lately I have been using some of the Rubio Monocoat, a really great product. Wipe on and let dry. A two part product so it may not be needed for what you are doing.
Still a whole lot less work then spraying a two part catalyzed finish. Only negative is the cost. $58 a 1/3 of a quart. I still do some live edge tops and it is my new go to finish.

mshea:
Thanks for the input. The supplier I've been looking at is Rex Art

https://www.rexart.com/custom-sized-cradled-wood-panels.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncWvBhD_ARIsAEb2HW_2U3QcO6x2pBMryqsHmtquQ3ShNCD1n8l-SF2z4ydIF3wEF_BnpEUaAn2vEALw_wcB

Their products are sanded but unvarnished.

I'de certainly like to know if you've found other reliable sources.

They offer Baltic Birch and other woods. I'm tempted to go with an alternative wood, as they state that there can be occasional shipping damage with the comparatively softer birch.

dgberg:
Go to your local cabinetry plywood supplier, usually 2 or more in all med. size town.
We have Industrial Plywood, Fessenden & Hall and Russel Plywood all in our backyard and they all carry it.
Russian birch comes in 5'x5' sheets and is fairly easy to cut if you have the right tools. We have a big 48" edge sander to sand the saw marks out but you certainly can use an orbital sander.
A 5x5 sheet was $100 the last time I purchased it. That is $4.00 a sq. ft. The price Rex Art has for a 60x60 is $716 or $29 a sq. ft.
Find your local lumber/Plywood supplier. Rex Art is probably the last place to go. What part of the country do you live in?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version