Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Digital Image Processing

Sharpening software alternatives to Topaz

(1/2) > >>

tonysiciliano1:
I have been using Topaz Sharpening AI for several years. I'm ready to jump ship. Mac OS Sonoma now has a bug using it with the new silicon based Macs, leaving it basically unusable. When you open it it flickers on and off continuously. On help forums Topaz representatives have admitted that there will not be a fix for this because they have stopped supporting it because they want everybody to switch to their latest software (Topaz Photo AI, $200) which combines their "old" noise reduction, sharpening, and enlarging software. I am sympathetic to software companies who need to innovate and have a viable revenue stream, but I think stopping support for a product after a little more than a year is too extreme. And yes, I know you can use LR or Photoshop sharpening tools to get the job done, but after using Pixel Genius and then Topaz (when PK stopped working on my new Mac) I have become lazy. Press a button, look at the changes, turn the opacity down if necessary, mask out areas as needed, and I'm done. So easy. So I am wondering if anybody can recommend an alternative to Topaz for sharpening. Thanks.

mcbroomf:
I see your journey and agree that it sucks when a fond piece of software goes away.  I'd suggest watching for Topaz sales.  I bought A1 a while ago and it was much less than $200.

But I wonder why you have discarded LR/ACR as options?  Creating a few presets for different file types makes it a simple push button exercise (though still easy IMO to adjust mask, amount etc).  For presets there is now a slider (0-200 with 100 as default) if you want to back off or increase the impact of your preset.

langier:
I've used the Topaz AI and it can be hit-and-miss depending upon the original image and for me, how fine a silk purse I can make from a client's sow's ear.
Usually, I use a custom action based upon the High pass filter. My preset has it dialed back in opacity and I can crank it up or soften it down.

Another sharpening filter I use are the two Nik 6 Efex, one for presharpening and a second for output. Occasionally, I'll use the Sharpener Output which allows you to set your printer and substrate parameters.

Sometimes I think the Nik is too much so usually just running my High Pass seems just the right amount especially for printing. However, when you run Nik, it will create a new layer and that can be toned down with the opacity slider.

gchappel:
I often use topaz sharpening products- it does sometimes over sharpen and causes some halos on big prints.
I still use focus magic.    It is less aggressive, but rarely causes other issues/artifacts.   It is also fast.
I purchased it probably 15yrs ago or so- and it is still a buy once and use forever business model.
gary

Daverich:
I use Focus Magic as well. Runs fine on a Studio Ultra & latest upgrade to Sonoma.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version