Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X2D-100, lenses from your landscape experience that satisfy?  (Read 974 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
X2D-100, lenses from your landscape experience that satisfy?
« on: February 02, 2024, 06:29:53 pm »

I have abandoned the H6D-100 idea and going with the X2D-100C.
Will depart from my GFX camera and lenses.

Now, I know the CF and H line lenses well, but nothing about the XCD.
Have been studying and the 21mm, looks like a default. 
At this time can not afford any of the XCD-V lenses!

Suggestions?
My work can be seen at http://www.shadowsdancing.com
Gives an idea of how I "see" and shoot.

Suggestions from your experience would be appreciated, especially with the X2D-100 if possible.

Jack

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
Re: X2D-100, lenses from your landscape experience that satisfy?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 02:52:56 am »

The XCD 30 should be your second default - excellent lens, even compared with the new GF 30 TS or the XCD 38v. 38v The xcd 65 and 135 (with or without the TC) are also excellent. I also really liike the XCD 45, (non-p)
Depending on FL preference, the 38v is very versatile,  perfect ergonomics, great corner to corner IQ starting f5.6-8 - it could replace, in theory the xcd 30 and 45 for landscape use. I went the other way around, started with the 38v and ended up trading it for the 30xcd (needed the wider FOV + top corner to corner performance wide open) and the 45xcd (I must have a great copy of that lens, as the images from it seem a bit sharper than the 38v).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 04:35:45 am by nazdravanul »

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 06:54:48 am »

Thank you for sharing your experience.

"The XCD 30 should be your second default"
So what is the one and only, let's say the Primary, that you head out with for only landscape work?
I have historically shot my best image, IMO, on 28-30mm lenses, thus why I have started with it.

I am hoping to keep my lens collection to only one or two lenses. 
Pondering the 30 as default and possibly trying out with an adapter the 100mm CF T* that I used to
shoot on my much earlier cameras, Hassie 500cm with Leaf P-45+ back.  Frankly, I could have stopped
with that setup and had far more cash in the bank.  Images were unbeatable to my eye!

I have not been able to find anyone or reviews that have tried that setup on an X2D.

As of yesterday, 2-20-2024, I have received my new X2D and found a 30 used from a fair price.
Today a 512 card should show up and I plan to shoot to that as primary with internal as backup.

Will be running technical tests on the rig next several days and getting used to the best camera settings
for tripod landscape work - the process was ingrained in me back when I shot 4x5 and 500cm - take you
time, compose very carefully.  Then, I plan to mount my IR 720 filter (unfortunately an 82mm filter so need to
order a thin step-down adapter to the 30's 77) and see if I can get substantially shorter exposure
times that are usable, and thus less movement of the scene elements.  Given many of the X2D reviews
make a point of cleaning getting excellent shots at much higher ISO settings than I have shot in the past.

First impression, I must admit for my hand, the fit, balance, and weight of the X2D and the 30mm are outstanding!

hubell

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 02:55:24 pm »

It's not small and light, but the XCD 35-70 zoom is extraordinary in terms of IQ and versatility for landscape work. I have the 45mm XCD f/3.5. I haven't used it since I acquired the zoom.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 06:56:21 pm »

Yes, heavy and quite expensive even used on eBay!

But I agree, the 35-70 with a 20 I think would be ideal.

vjbelle

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 09:59:17 pm »

Its been a long time since I have seen a post from you but it is great to see you are alive and well and continuing on with your craft.  I am also delving into the Hasselblad world but with the CFV 100C instead.  The results will be the same as what you are using - internal camera processing wise. 

You are much more wide than I normally shoot.  I try to stay at about 30mm FF wise for my widest FL.  That is just how my eyes work the best.  Mostly though I like to shoot at standard FL ranges.  So 33X44 sensor that would be 50mm to 90mm.  If needed I would rather pan a little than go wider just to keep distortion down to a minimum. 

I am keeping my GFX stuff as I really like camera and lenses and how Fuji deals with any repair issues.  I also use that camera on an Arca M-Two which is a heavy setup but allows for all sorts of movements which I enjoy. 

I know this doesn't address your needs on the wide end but thought I would contribute. 

Please keep posting about your adventures with Hasselblad which I hope are trouble free. 

Best.....

Victor B.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 06:23:04 am »

Hi Victor,
Great to hear from you, and yes, still able to get vertical in the morning!
Not ready to check out yet, by I admit, some days do feel like I am now 77!

As to the Fuji, relative to the Hassie digitals. 
Three variables pushed me back to Hassie from GFX.

1.  The color dynamics of the X2D and historical H series I used to shoot if far superior to what
I could get out of the Fuji.  Now that sounds foolish as much of my work ends in B&W.  No mater
how I tried to pull out the color dynamics from the Fuji, I just was not able to get the "balance" and
rich look from the H5D 50 WiFi I had even though the Fuji was the 100S flavor.

2.  I certainly don't need all of the "bells and whistles" that the Fuji offers. My work flow is a
carryover from my 4x5 sheet film days, very deliberate procedure with few "clicks".

3.  What really killed the Fuji for me:
In January I was shooting in the Everglades with my best friend, Clyde, and only had about 1,500 clicks on the camera body.  We were shooting some test comparisons between the Fuji and one of his many cameras, the Sony.
I pressed the front right wheel to change ISO and it broke!!!  It is  just cheap plastic.  Near $500 to repair.

As I have shot Hassie for over 50 years and never had a camera fail, that was enough for me.

Sold it and took a real beating on the values of it and the lenses.

______

Now the X2D with the 30mm XCD lens is what I'm working with.

Have not had a lot of time with it, but initial test, I love the internal color LUT that Hassie has and the menu structure of the X2D.  Beautifully built and just feels right to be my "final camera" for this lifetime.

Working to put together a gallery exhibit I've been asked to do so not a lot of time to get out with it right now.  Hope in the next month to get one weekend to drop to the coast and find a swamp or coastline that interests me to work on.

Best to you,
Jack

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 12:39:23 pm »

I have found that the 35-75 can render excellent images, it's a heavy lens and expensive, but the V lenses appear to be hard to find right now, at least the 90V and 38V.  55V shows up now and then. I have always preferred a zoom with a mirrorless camera due to the fact that I can frame the image and not have to constantly remove the lens. 

I rented a XCD 30mm, from Lenrentals, and it did impress me, but hard to justify the cost for just 5mm more focal length.  It's a nice size and weight for the X2D.

The 21mm is an amazing lens, I have access to one, but do not own it.  Long out of production now, but extremely sharp. 

The older HC lenses are also to be considered, especially if you have an orange dot version so AF still works.  I am still trying to locate a 210mm orange dot, plenty of non orange dot glass out there, but I prefer AF.

Just purchased a re-certified 90V from Capture Integration, excellent optic and amazingly small lens for the focal length.

I saw the comments on Fuji and QA/failure.  A bit of a story here:
I have owned, and used from the 50S to the GFX100 over 6 years, never a failure.  Last fall I purchased a GFX100II, and last month the shutter button failed. Just would not work.  Everything else still worked and you could fire the camera via remote.  I sent the camera into Fuji US for a repair and ended up getting a body swap.  Not sure what was wrong, but net it was not an easy fix.  This does concern me as I have only 6 months left on my warranty, and did not purchase an extended one.  A shutter button IMO should never fail and also should be one part that is given a very hard amount of testing in during design. I assume that the button on the GFX100II is the same as the GFX100, at least they look the same, so my issue may have just been a one off, hope so.

Hasselblad US repair is still an unknown for me, but I have not read good things about the process since the US center was moved to LA.

Huge loss for me with the X2D Is Capture One, which I have used for over 15 years now since 3.7.8.  It's possible to get C1 to open the files from the X2D, but not sure the extra work is worth it. As for Phocus, not impressed at all, way slow, not happy with the import process or export, layering is basic to say the least.  For a single image workup I can tolerate it, but for shots that are taken as a pano, not possible, as you can't copy anything from one image to the next (at least I can't) and the masking is primitive.  LR has the best solution with their AI masking and they seem to get a pretty good color solution most of the time. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up