Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A 300 year old Scottish Windmill  (Read 416 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
A 300 year old Scottish Windmill
« on: January 29, 2024, 04:24:56 pm »

We don't really have old windmills in Scotland. But none the less, I did manage to find one and it is over 300 years old and still works apparently.

It's part of this mini photo guide I have just written (llink here if anyone would like to read it.

Cheers  ;)

Dave

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: A 300 year old Scottish Windmill
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 07:37:11 am »

Great light and composition.

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 07:44:59 am »

Very nice shot. I like how the foreground rock "counterbalances" and leads to the windmill. The sky is perfect along with the light.
Well done.
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 03:52:02 pm »

Thanks both  ;)

St Monan's on the East coast of Scotland, really is a fantastic place to spend a few days with a camera.

You should go if ever you get the chance  ;D

Dave

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 03:57:25 pm »

You should go if ever you get the chance  ;D
I intend to visit sometime in the next couple years; in between grape harvests.
I love the hues in this.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 04:37:43 pm »

I don't know how your shooting position was manageable, mate, but that foreground rock is huuuugely bothering me.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 05:33:50 am »

I don't know how your shooting position was manageable, mate, but that foreground rock is huuuugely bothering me.

This text is from my photo guide to this area, as shown on my website, with the salient points in highlighted in bold text for you Slobodan and which explains why I took the shot from the place that I took it:

So jump out of your vehicle and head off up the path towards the windmill, with the rugged rocky coast now on your right. Then as you get near to the windmill, you will see over a wire fence to your right, where there are a set of old stone steps, leading down to the front edge of the pool. There is actually an entrance point to these steps, but for whatever reason, the council has deemed them to be too dangerous or something, so has blocked them off with a fence. But it is only a relatively low fence, that is very easy to step over - cue the Judas Priest's track, Breaking the law, breaking the law..etc.

I suggest you use your wide angle zoom for this shot, as shown above. Because to get all of the reflective tidal pool and the foreground rocks fully into the shot, as well as allowing you to place the windmill, on a nicely balanced compositional point within the upper left(ish) third of the image, means you are going to be shooting wide.

So once you have made your way over the fence (Breaking the law, breaking the law..etc), if you now walk down the half a dozen steps to the bottom, you will find there is a flat concrete platform, that sits right on the edge of the tidal pool and which is in just the right place and of just the the right size, to allow you to comfortably set up your tripod, for the view shown in SHOT 1 at the top of this [chapter] thread.

So yes, there really is only one place to take this shot from - and I will be honest, I thought and still find, that those foreground rocks act as a nice lead-in line to the windmill. But hey, we all see things differently and have different preferences  ;D

Dave

Mark Nadler

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 02:36:33 pm »

I also like the composition and your lighting.  However, the image appears oversharpened, and the rock jetty looks like it is floating in the water/sky.   

Mark

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 05:33:20 pm »

I'm undecided on the rock but I understand that is just how the scene is. Lovely light and a nice shot of an interesting subject.
-MattB

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 09:40:01 am »

Isn't photography weird and at the same time, wonderful?

You post a picture you are a little indifferent about and are taken by surprise, at how most people seem to absolutely love it. Then you post another picture that you absolutely love and are taken by surprise, at how most people seem to be completely indifferent about it.

God I love landscape photography  ;)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up