Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Digital Image Processing

Topaz Gigapixel 7 vs. Topaz Photo AI

(1/1)

mshea:
I got an email a couple of days ago announcing Gigapixel 7. I've pretty much switched over to Photo AI for enlarging, so I'm wondering if this upgrade surpasses the capability of Photo AI 2.3.0.

dgberg:
Same question here. Getting very expensive to keep all of this software current when not using that often.

mcbroomf:
Same boat here and I rarely use upscaling in Photo AI.

I google for comparison reviews.  This one is interesting.  To start with 6 of the AI models are the same in both, the new GP has 2 new ones.  Using his favorite (Standard V2) he shows no difference between them (all settings the same)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ojB2gNdIw

I think you can download a demo to run for a week or so to do your own comparisons.

mcbroomf:
Another review here.  He compares it to a bunch of other tools including the earlier Gigapixel AI 6.3.3 (which is the one I have) as well as Photo AI, Adobe, ON1 etc
https://silentpeakphoto.com/photography-software/photo-editing-apps/photo-editing-app-reviews/gigapixel-ai-review/

Robcat:
Well, I just upgraded to Gigapixel 7 yesterday. I ran a comparison to the 6.3 GP and 7 is clearly better. Seeing this post today, I tried the same image on Photo AI. It was a tight crop of an old shot of a cathedral ceiling fresco in Italy. Enlarged 3x from about 1500 px long dimension to 4500. I am trying to post a screenshot of 100% crop of part of the image (can't see it on preview so I will just hit post). It shows very clearly that PAI is better. I did not do an additional sharpen on the GP.

On a side note, GP 7 does not install well on a lot of people's Windows machines. Rather, it installs and then doesn't open. Lots of complaints and advice on the Topaz site about this. Apparently Mac users have no problems. You have to delete all old versions, go into Regedit and remove all traces of Gigapixel and reboot. Do this a couple times and it may load and run. This was Topaz advice and worked for a lot of the people writing in and complaining including me. Some said it did not work for them. Given the results you can see here w PAI, if you already have PAI and NOT GP, I wouldn't tend to pay for it. YMMV,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version