Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sad news about Eric Myrvaagnes, and requesting input  (Read 751 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Sad news about Eric Myrvaagnes, and requesting input
« on: January 03, 2024, 05:27:25 pm »

Hello Luminous Landscapes Folks,

This is Joshua Myrvaagnes posting in my father's account.  Thanks for being an important community for my father's creative expression. 

I just logged in to update folks.  My name is Joshua.

My father's memory has been declining a fair bit this past year, and then in July my mother fell and broke her hip, which meant she really couldn't care for him.  So he was expedited into a memory care facility in Boston.  If you want to visit him, that may be possible, and it's been great for him to have visitors over these last few months.  I'd want to have a brief conversation by phone first to screen people just since I don't know you directly.  If you want to call it's probably best that he calls you, I've found it hard to get patched through from the front desk there, but you can try.  Again, I'd ask you to contact me first.  I hope it's Ok to put an email address here, and please forgive my using his account, but I thought it was the best way to communicate the situation. 

He has a lot of visitors and sometimes someone can do a cellphone or videoconference call on their phone.

I know that he spent a lot of time exchanging ideas on Luminous Landscapes and found a lot of inspiration here.

Sadly, the last time he visited me this summer out in the country he didn't take out his camera as he had always done anywhere beautiful my entire life.  (I used to resent that he slowed us down so much on hikes in the mountains, but later I came to appreciate his amazing talent as a photographer.  I needed his words along with the images themselves to get to really see them).  He's both still the same person and also not.  He has a camera at the memory care place but doesn't take it out much if ever, as far as I know.  I can only visit once in a while since I live quite far but my mother gets there every week or two, I'd say.

I have been tasked with handling his many, many boxes of photos, and his photography equipment.  I would like any suggestions on what you think he would want.  Even before losing his memory he wasn't much of a planner, so I don't think he really thought through how to leave his legacy, and he certainly didn't push his work on people. I'll ask him too of course when I have the chance, but I don't know how clear an answer I'll get, and I don't really have any certain idea where to begin.

Once my mom is out of the woods I hope we can have an exhibit to showcase his whole career, and I'm thinking of giving away lots of the drafts that he's got in piles in the basement, and I'd love to know if anyone wants one and would give them away to friends or charities. I'd like his work to be out in the world more in some form.  I imagine that showing the ones from his website would be a good start at least.

I could also use suggestions about what equipment to sell or donate, since sadly it looks like he won't be using it anymore, and some other photographer out there might.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer and thanks for your friendship to my father.

In community,

Joshua Myrvaagnes
StandingMarmotAT@gmail.com
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Eric Myrvaagnes

Re: Sad news about Eric Myrvaagnes, and requesting input
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 pm »

Wow, I looked at his last posts and I see that my dad was posting here until the day he was taken to the memory care place.  I will see if I can get him set up with his computer there, but it's not just his memory, he also needed a large screen and jumbo trackball and so on to be able to use a computer.  And stuff can supposedly get stolen there so I'm not sure we can bring in more equipment, and they keep his laptop locked up.  I can't promise anything but I'll see if I can find a way to get him set up on the computer again so he can maybe give feedback on photos.  Thanks for reading. 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 02:46:08 pm »

Hi Joshua,

Just read your post and, as a first reaction, I want to wish your father, my LuLa friend, all the best. I too had a father with dementia, and wish you as well all the best in caring for yours.

churly

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 05:23:52 pm »

Sad news to hear about Eric but I am glad you let us know.  His voice on Lula has always been one of reason and encouragement. 
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 04:34:36 am »

I only know Eric from this forum and he always had an important positive touch in his posts. Very sorry to hear about his bad heath.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 10:07:11 am »

My best to Eric. He is one of the LuLa members whom I most respected as both a person and a photographer. A few years ago we exchanged our self-published books. It would be great if he is able to continue participating here.

francois

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 05:30:21 am »

Wow, I looked at his last posts and I see that my dad was posting here until the day he was taken to the memory care place.  I will see if I can get him set up with his computer there, but it's not just his memory, he also needed a large screen and jumbo trackball and so on to be able to use a computer.  And stuff can supposedly get stolen there so I'm not sure we can bring in more equipment, and they keep his laptop locked up.  I can't promise anything but I'll see if I can find a way to get him set up on the computer again so he can maybe give feedback on photos.  Thanks for reading.

Yes, I think that "reconnecting" Eric to Luminous Landscape and other activities can be important. I know how things get complicated when not at home, unfortunately.
Let us know how things evolve.
Francois

JoshuaMyrvaagnes

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 03:47:33 pm »

Joshua here, thanks so much for all the kind posts!

I will read the messages to him when I get to talk to him next, which will be when my mom gets to visit in person and can facetime me.  They're not great at answering their phones.

It looks like they won't go for putting a desktop computer in the memory care place, and their wifi is spotty.  So it's going to be a real challenge getting him reconnected.  There's concern about computers getting broken or going missing.  I think there are kiosks that can be installed but I don't know what the cost of that is, and I don't know if it could be plugged into the router.  I'm open to ideas.

Best

Joshua

swindy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 12:20:19 am »

Hi Josh & Eric -

So sorry to hear about your predicament.  I'm not sure how to help with access.  Please convey this from all of us here at Luminous Landscape:

Thank you Eric!  You're wonderful to the people here Luminous Landscape.  Thank you for helping so many photographers become better.

Josh - Can you send me an email swindy@luminous-landscape.com?   I'd love to talk some more offline.

- swindy

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 04:33:50 am »

Hi Joshua,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad - please say "hello" to him from Riebeek Kasteel in South Africa.

Regards,

William.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: [1]   Go Up