Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Adobe Lightroom Q&A

Looking for a compact camera for tethering to Lightroom

(1/2) > >>

dennmorr:
I have been using a tethered camera on a boom to photograph scenes on a diorama.  I have been doing this for probably 14 years. My camera is a Canon a620 and I use Breeze Systems PS remote for software.  It has worked fine for my purposes (See my website https://diographics.com/   The laptop  I use is ancient and PS remote is not supported any more. I am attempting to update my system to use a newer camera and Lightroom as the software. I need a small camera with a zoom lens and I need to control the focus and other settings as well as have live screen monitoring.  I have tried to find a compact camera that works with lightroom or otherwise can be controlled remotely but so far have had a hard time.
Hoping for help!
Dennis Morris

Rhossydd:
There doesn't seem to be any compact cameras supported for tethering in Lightroom.
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

If you don't need the features of newer cameras, an old DSLR from Canon or Nikon off that list could be a cheap and better option.

If you're determined to use a compact, I'm sure there are plenty with remote control software options and you could just use LR with it's auto import function on a watched folder.

dennmorr:
Thanks for the reply.  I am somewhat limited by the weight and size on the boom and the ability to put the camera into tight spots low to the "ground".  The controls I need from the laptop are at minimum focus, zoom, and shutter (take picture). I remember that canon used to have its own software to A 500's and 600's. Do you know if any of the more modern compacts that have proprietary software that allow control by wire (or wireless)?

mcbroomf:
I may be wrong but I don't think LRC will offer Zoom control.  I think you'll have to do this through the camera supplier remote interface.

For example the Sony R10 uses the Sony app IEM which probably offers all you need (at least the screen capture shows the controls you've listed).  I use it on my Sony ILC bodies but only in manual focus and I don't have any power Zoom lenses.  On an R10 or R100 I'd expect all functions to be available.  Test 1st though (rent?) as some find it buggy (I don't) and instructions are sparse.  Same is probably true for any P&S.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/iemobile/en/instruction/1_1_smartphone_display.php

Rhossydd:

--- Quote from: dennmorr on December 27, 2023, 11:53:22 am ---I am somewhat limited by the weight and size on the boom and the ability to put the camera into tight spots low to the "ground".
--- End quote ---
I've now looked at your web site and have a better idea of the problem ;-)
That boom looks horribly lightweight. I'd be looking at upgrading it with something a lot more sturdy, maybe built out of the sorts of Aluminium extrusions that are used for proper motion control rigs.

--- Quote ---The controls I need from the laptop are at minimum focus, zoom, and shutter (take picture). I remember that canon used to have its own software to A 500's and 600's. Do you know if any of the more modern compacts that have proprietary software that allow control by wire (or wireless)?
--- End quote ---
A lot of the better compacts allow wireless connections to phones. The proprietary control apps often leave a bit to be desired, but some third party apps are better (qDSLR on Android). I've used Canon's Connect app to control DSLRs remotely with good success and that works with their compacts. I've also managed to get my little Sony RX100 M5 hooked up to a phone too (although the Sony system is arcane, very unintuitive and I seem to have to relearn it all every time I try to use it).
Most these phone apps offer monitoring and control, so might be suitable for you, but you may have to shoot, then load into Lightroom after the shooting session.
Sorry, but I don't know much about any that offer physical tethering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version