Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor Photoshop Experience on windows  (Read 855 times)

chex

Poor Photoshop Experience on windows
« on: November 19, 2023, 02:36:16 am »

I generally prefer windows but I have found photoshop on windows to be slow, choppy and laggy.

I have tried this on multiple machines including high spec workstations at work and it's always the same.

I have check RAM allocation, SSD scratch disks, hardware acceleration etc etc etc that all the windows guys tell me to keep checking. Maybe they're ok with their choppy experience because they don't know different??

Does this match others' experience? Would be great to hear from people that work on both platforms.

Will I need to maintain a mac workflow for photoshop to avoid tearing all my hair out?

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Poor Photoshop Experience on windows
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 02:46:26 pm »

I have run PS on a Windows PC since PS v. 2.5 (so about thirty years ago, coinciding with Windows 3.1. I have used PCs since the dawn in 1982). I have found different iterations of Photoshop to be buggier than others. People like to point fingers at Windows, and though sometimes that can be the case, issues often relate to hardware more than software.

What are the specs of the computer you are running? What are the specific things you run into or that you are doing in Photoshop when you feel it's choppy? Do you have many other programs running at the same time?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 03:38:32 pm »

GPU capabilities is super critical these days.
No comments otherwise; running PS on a Mac since 1990.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 01:06:37 pm »

Yes, we need more info as Nemo posted.

I'm running a PC with an i7 78xx CPU, so 7 years/iteration behind the latest/greatest and I don't find PS to be slow, choppy or laggy.  I did update my GPU, but only to an Nvidia 3060, so well below the current high end.  I'm processing 50mp and 60mp images from Sony A1 and A7R5, so not small, and I create many layered files from lightpainting, so some of my individual .PSB files are pretty huge.

My tolerance will be different from yours, so let's hear what you are seeing when you do specific actions, and the specs of your system.

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 09:49:39 am »

I'm running a Think Station w/12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz, 64GB Ram, NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB and 1TB SSD with the latest version of Windows 11 Pro. Lightning fast with no sign of slow behavior. However, when I'm running Bridge, which I do a lot, the fan is almost always on when rendering tons of new previews, which is a mystery to me. Other than that, no issues at all.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 09:54:19 am by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 09:18:33 am »

I have a 3.8 GHz I7 with 64gb RAM and SSD storage for everything. A mid-level NVidea GPU. Win 10. Photoshop and all other programs zip along just fine. Have you opened Task Manager and looked at RAM / CPU / GPU usage while you are working? Might provide some clues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up