Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G Limited Edition  (Read 1580 times)

Omer Akcelik

Canon G Limited Edition
« on: January 20, 2007, 01:15:27 pm »

Canon's negation of the most special features from G series left me wondering if an upgrade is really a downgrade?

i was holding on to my G3 hoping a real replacement would come..
with a minimum 28mm not requiring lens attachment thats larger than the camera itself! but most important an increase in pixel pitch for greater dynamic range, but all we see is used up megapixels that require larger storage.

i did read the thread on G7 "an open letter to Canon" which talked about the lack of raw. other than white balance another prevailing word is the extra stop of dynamic range hidden in raw! but what good is that extra stop even if provided, now that i have 10megapixels on the same 1.1/8 sensor..

after Sony released their R1 APSC P&S i was hopeful the new G would at least be influenced and have the larger 2/3 sensor from the Pro1 and not get too swamped in pixels, but now that the R1 seems to be discontinued all hope is lost..

unless there is a demand for a real P&S camera (i don't know)..

if they were so afraid of the camera hindering DSLR sales then maybe they should of stuck with less pixels (Nikon did with the D40. leave the big pixels for A640) add a larger 2/3 sensor from the Pro1, 28mm wide, RAW, Flip & Twist LCD and your target market is no longer the average joe.
because if you Canon! were thinking of everyone when making the G then what happened to your target market?

is it too much wishful thinking to hope for an LE (limited edition) version?
it does feel like it.. but i will wish the following anyway..

1. a larger 2/3 CMOS (CMOS = better latitude) + 6megapixels = larger pixel pitch thats even greater latitude.
2. minimum wide starting at 28mm f2.0 constant OR faster.
3. flip & twist LCD!!!
4. RAW! thats another stop right there!

$1000+
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 01:26:21 pm by Omer Akcelik »
Pages: [1]   Go Up