Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Grand Canyon  (Read 587 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
The Grand Canyon
« on: November 01, 2023, 05:08:31 pm »

We were there for three days in total and every single day by about 10am, the temperature had already climbed well up into the mid 90's F, with not a single cloud anywhere in the sky and to make things worse, the rangers were burning a large area of the woodland, all along the North rim from dawn until till dusk each day. So day after day, it was nothing but heavy blue smoke haze in every direction I looked and with lots of sweat dripping off my nose, along with very harsh, contrasty light. So I never even got the camera out of the car for the first two days and just settled myself down to enjoying being there instead.

Then on the third day around noon, after my other half started to gently nag me once again, about having come all this way and then not even taking a single shot of the canyon, that I decided the only thing I could do, was to work with and emphasise the smokey, harsh lighting conditions I was being given, rather than to just give up completely and walk away empty handed and here is the result.

Now I am sure many other photographers must have taken lots of smokey views of the Grand Canyon over the years, but I am really quite happy with this shot and so glad that the boss nagged me into to taking it.  ;)

This might even end up on our wall...

Dave

Mark Nadler

Re: The Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 07:06:59 pm »

I've tried this image a couple of times.  Yours is exceptional.  Nice.

Mark

degrub

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 07:24:35 pm »

Is that from the Royal Gorge viewpoint (North Rim)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 09:27:35 pm »

I've tried this image a couple of times.  Yours is exceptional.  Nice.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

It's the only shot I took in all of the three days we were there - no that would be a lie, as I probably fired off at least half a dozen shots of the exact same view, just to make sure I had it framed correctly and the focus was sharp. But I am sure you know what I mean  ;)

Is that from the Royal Gorge viewpoint (North Rim)

No not the North rim, but the South rim at Moran Point I believe. All I remember is, that it was one of the last viewpoints travelling East before you reach the Desert View Watchtower and then the park exit, and where the steel pipe handrails look a bit old and bent in places. There was an information board next to the bent handrail to the left front edge of the viewing point and I am stood directly to the left of it, pointing my camera to the left and straight back up the centre of the canyon, fully zoomed out at 200mm on my 70/200.

Hope this helps  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 09:35:53 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 10:11:31 pm »

Much attempted, less succeeded. Yours is the latter.

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 07:19:58 am »

Same here... Hats off!
Francois

degrub

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 10:55:10 am »

Thanks Mark.

It's the only shot I took in all of the three days we were there - no that would be a lie, as I probably fired off at least half a dozen shots of the exact same view, just to make sure I had it framed correctly and the focus was sharp. But I am sure you know what I mean  ;)

No not the North rim, but the South rim at Moran Point I believe. All I remember is, that it was one of the last viewpoints travelling East before you reach the Desert View Watchtower and then the park exit, and where the steel pipe handrails look a bit old and bent in places. There was an information board next to the bent handrail to the left front edge of the viewing point and I am stood directly to the left of it, pointing my camera to the left and straight back up the centre of the canyon, fully zoomed out at 200mm on my 70/200.

i know right where your feet were. Mine were never that good. Maybe i need to wait until burning season  ::)

Hope this helps  :)

Dave

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 11:47:37 am »

Great shot and as a landscape photographer that's what we need to do: embrace what we are given.
We have some very smoky periods around here and when it is clear, hot, smoky, and windy it's hard to motivate to shoot. But you have shown it can be worth it!
-MattB

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 02:32:42 pm »

Nice one, Dave!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 03:28:49 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 04:38:15 pm »

Lovely, even with the given blue "light & smoke" the distance gradients are wonderful.
Leszek, G

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2023, 06:59:32 am »

So well done, Dave!
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2023, 12:01:25 pm »

i know right where your feet were. Mine were never that good. Maybe i need to wait until burning season

I think they were only supposed to be burning until the end of October, according to the signs we saw. So yes, you have probably missed it for this year.

Great shot and as a landscape photographer that's what we need to do: embrace what we are given.
We have some very smoky periods around here and when it is clear, hot, smoky, and windy it's hard to motivate to shoot. But you have shown it can be worth it!

I agree Matt. Go with what you are getting and fully embrace it  ;)

+1
Nice one, Dave!

Getting a thumbs up from two of the Lula grandees no less - wow, then it really must be a quite a good shot  :)

But all joking aside guys, because I know if you two like it, then I know I must be doing something right  ;D

Thanks everyone else who has commented, because as always, it is much appreciated  ;)

Dave

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 08:08:09 am »

A blue sea of receding mountains. Nice image for an album's cover too.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 02:02:45 am »

Dave, you managed to make lemonade from your lemon of cloudless skies. Sometime the best thing to do is to roll the dice and JDI. Well done!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up