Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Prograf-2000 problems Print Studio. Manager  (Read 461 times)

JudyKonopka

Canon Prograf-2000 problems Print Studio. Manager
« on: September 26, 2023, 05:38:08 pm »

Hi everyone,

I had a weird thing happen. I've been printing on my Pro-2000 Prograf for years, but had a problem I couldn't solve.

I could not center a 24 x 36 print vertically and choose .25 for the right and left margins. No matter if I chose Center Vertically (instead of left-hand corner), I kept getting a wider margin on the left-hand side. Also, when I tried to print it borderless, I would get the exact same off-size borders. When I took the roll out, I noticed about a .25" space between the paper and the spool cap (pic attached). The round black left-hand "cover" wouldn't push all the way down so it was flush with the spool. Yet, it sits flush on the right-hand side, but I can't push it all the way down on the left. 1) Has anyone else had this problem? 2) Was there a way of solving this somehow?  Thanks!

SOLUTION:  ADDENDUM:  After spending about 5 hours over 2 days with Canon help, the problem with the printer wasn't the paper roll, nor the printer, printer drivers, etc.  I was using Canon's "Print Studio Pro", which for some reason decided not to work anymore.  They do have another, newer app, called "Professional Print & Layout". Both Canon employees did not seem overly excited about it, but I installed it and everything is working fine now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 12:58:14 pm by JudyKonopka »

Lessbones

Re: Canon Prograf-2000 problems Print Studio. Manager
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 06:23:42 pm »

In the 10+ years of using canon large format printers I've never tried to do what you're doing (I've never had any use for borderless, and I don't trust the edges of rolls enough to try to get close enough... unless I'm printing posters or something where the client doesn't care) but it shouldn't matter if there's a gap, especially on the left side.  If it were on the right the printer would probably reject the feed for not being in the proper position, but since these printers scan the paper size upon loading the roll, it shouldn't make any difference where it ends on the left-- it has no way of knowing where that end cap actually is anyway.  I would imagine you could get roughly where you need to be by trial and error-- borderless does sometimes oversize the print (depending on driver/RIP) but I would think that if you need it to be exact it would still skew enough by the end of the roll or be slightly different on the next one.  There may be a margin setting in the settings for the particular paper you're loading as well-- check the manual for that--

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 07:54:50 pm »

Just a guess.

I use an iPF8300 and it requires a paper core cone on the roller. Does your printer use them?

~ CB

JudyKonopka

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 08:04:36 pm »

In the 10+ years of using canon large format printers I've never tried to do what you're doing (I've never had any use for borderless, and I don't trust the edges of rolls enough to try to get close enough... unless I'm printing posters or something where the client doesn't care) but it shouldn't matter if there's a gap, especially on the left side.  If it were on the right the printer would probably reject the feed for not being in the proper position, but since these printers scan the paper size upon loading the roll, it shouldn't make any difference where it ends on the left-- it has no way of knowing where that end cap actually is anyway.  I would imagine you could get roughly where you need to be by trial and error-- borderless does sometimes oversize the print (depending on driver/RIP) but I would think that if you need it to be exact it would still skew enough by the end of the roll or be slightly different on the next one.  There may be a margin setting in the settings for the particular paper you're loading as well-- check the manual for that--

Actually, that's the first thing the Canon guy asked me - he thought the paper didn't load correctly (perhaps he was thinking the right hand side, IDK). I didn't bother to check the paper because after the first failure, I rewound it, printed Roll 1, then inserted Roll 2 again and had the same problem, so I didn't think it was the paper until I took it out today and saw that gap, so I'm thinking it probably does make a difference with the gap. I'll see - I'll load the paper in Roll 1 position and see what happens.

I have printed borderless a lot on that printer and it does a wonderful job! Don't be afraid!  Thanks!

JudyKonopka

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 08:07:52 pm »

Just a guess.

I use an iPF8300 and it requires a paper core cone on the roller. Does your printer use them?

I have two additional ones that I put over the existing ones if the paper comes with a 3" dia tube.  The second one looks like mine, but not the first. I was having problems with a 2" tube, though.

Lessbones

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 06:29:05 pm »

I have printed borderless a lot on that printer and it does a wonderful job! Don't be afraid!  Thanks!

my issue is that usually with larger rolls the edges are damaged somehow from dropping in shipping so they're just not usable in the first place...
Pages: [1]   Go Up