Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Z3200 - Images Shifting to Right - Clipped on left - Had to halt sales.  (Read 844 times)

plasakow

I have two identical Z3200 24" non-PS.  For years I've gotten consistent 1/4 inch borders surrounding. Now, suddenly, both printers are leaving a  3/8 inch border on the left side and clipping the right side. Both have the latest firmware. Almost everything I print is 16x24 or 24x26, so the prints are full width on the 24" roll leaving no margin for error.

I've tried my legacy Mac High Sierra, a Mac Mini running Ventura with the latest HP driver, and a recent PC running Windows 11, using the up-to-date HP driver and then through Qimage.

I can't figure out for the life of me what's going on. It's driving me nuts and I had to halt sales.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs

I have two identical Z3200 24" non-PS.  For years I've gotten consistent 1/4 inch borders surrounding. Now, suddenly, both printers are leaving a  3/8 inch border on the left side and clipping the right side. Both have the latest firmware. Almost everything I print is 16x24 or 24x26, so the prints are full width on the 24" roll leaving no margin for error.

I've tried my legacy Mac High Sierra, a Mac Mini running Ventura with the latest HP driver, and a recent PC running Windows 11, using the up-to-date HP driver and then through Qimage.

I can't figure out for the life of me what's going on. It's driving me nuts and I had to halt sales.

Cen you work around by formatting the prints with a 1/8" left border and a 3/8" right border?

kers

• Pieter Kers

maybe it is an qimage setting ; try to print directly from say photoshop and see if it still occurs.

maybe Ernst Dinkla can help you

good luck!

Pieter
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

plasakow

I believe I've narrowed down the issue. I now believe it may be my setup. Please understand that in terms of photoshop and printer settings, I have a limited and specific skill set: I know how to make a 24x36 or 16x24 image file, and I know how to print them at that size only on an HP Z3200. Stuff like resizing an image or changing print settings so they will print perfectly inside those paper sizes is not in my inventory of abilities.

Again,I print almost exclusively at 16x24 or 24x36 paper sizes with as little white margin bleed as I can. Before things suddenly changed I was sending using Mac Preview app to print (for instance) 24x36 inch image files on 24x36 inch paper. It worked fine- the result was the full image printed with even margins of about .25 inches.

Doing the same thing now produces either a wide right-hand margin (if I choose "print entire image") or a truncated/clipped right side ("Fill Entire Paper). I've tried scaling the images in photoshop to be incrementally wider or taller, but I can't seem to dial it in.

Am I missing something?

degrub

does the printer have a setting for minimum printing margin for left hand side on the printer console itself ?

plasakow

Thanks, but it does not.

Ernst Dinkla

I followed the thread and had an idea that it could be a hardware issue but that happening on two printers at the same time would be over the top. Otherwise I could not think of what flaw showed up in your usual method.

Following my own methods for printing the sizes you mentioned I would use Qimage Ultimate, consider the 5mm normal print margins on rolls with the HP drivers, add 1,35mm extra margin in Qimage Ultimate to get the 6,35mm - 1/4" of your margins, then using the fit paper size option. With the risk that the roll width could be 1 mm wider or smaller, not unusual with rolls*. Always printing one image only as the roll may shift a bit over longer lengths with nested prints and the printer only measures the position and width of the paper roll at the start of the print run, so both for a 26" or a 100" length of a print job. With wider rolls I often check how parallel a roll leading edge is with the clamping rolls after the loading of a roll and if not parallel enough I let it move say 20 to 40 inches and then move it back to get a better alignment. The HP firmware does the same before a head alignment process chosen from the panel, engineers were well aware of the alignment errors left in the first meters after a roll loading.

My guess now is that you use borderless printing and the images already have the 1/4" white border. I always avoided that borderless setting as it does an odd step in computing that spread of the image over the paper width. https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c01561716  That odd step is a kind of driver extrapolation on the 300/600/1200 resolution of the normal printer data that goes to the printer and by that the image is enlarged accordingly. If for some reason that division number is corrupted in the latest drivers something what you describe may have happened. I am not totally familiar with that setting though and if I recall it correctly Qimage Ultimate has another one in the software too.  Wonder whether they interfere with one another. Anyway I do not use it. In the Z3200 software borderless printing is only available for glossy papers. Your printing method may spread the gloss enhancer up to edges too then, my method would not, the printer margins do not get the gloss enhancer. Mike Chaney too does not like borderless printing for some reasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15G1AWZTVwo

Another way simpler flaw could be that in the past you used borderless printing with images that already have a 1/4"  border and you now use the normal setting where the 5mm print margin is added an no paper width is left to print the other edge of the image. Print too wide for the roll width when print margins are subtracted. It does not correspond with your description of the flawed borders you get these days so I doubted that you made that mistake.

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c01561716 describes more settings of image spread on the paper that I never use but the standard setting. With some exceptions when it pays off.  In Qimage Ultimate preferences you can add more printer margin to the driver native printer margins of 5mm (or 12mm for the trailing edge of a sheet) but the default will be 5mm.

If your observations are mainly due to prints made with Qimage Ultimate then you should know that the integration of the HP Z3200 driver settings in Qimage's interface is flawed.  Never set printer settings in QU for an HP driver. Shift-Click on QU's printer Properties that the HP driver falls to its default and build the settings up there, then OK and QU will listen to the higher command. The other way around the HP driver will not listen, just partly maybe, the PS driver better than the PCL but who will take that risk?  Deeper in the Windows configuration you can make a Printer Preference setting that covers your most often used settings, give it a name and that will be the default QU will show after the Shift-Click. Use the preview option in the HP driver for more security.  Actually I would be better off with a Qimage Ultimate version of 5 years ago (with less options, less newer algorithms) that did not have the driver settings integrated but getting older you learn to live with all kinds of handicaps in your own way.

1/ My custom print page sizes, as saved in the HP Z3200 driver, are always 1mm less wide as the roll width is described. Way less surprises that an image is turned 90 degrees when I think it should fit landscape wise on the roll.

Whether this helps you in any way, I do not know.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

plasakow

Earnst, first- thank you very, very much for taking the time to write this down. It will take me a while to digest it and mark through the options. Lots of variables here.

I use only matte paper, so I never try to print borderless.

i'll try your settings and report back, although it may be a week or so.

Again, much appreciation!

Nora_nor

I have heard rumors this can be from the blue or black things holding the paper roll, that they are not correctly snapped in. That happens when you use two thingies. No problem with the smaller cores where you only use one disk / thing

Note this is the same problem as here I think https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=143037.0
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 01:23:41 pm by Nora_nor »

Ernst Dinkla

I have heard rumors this can be from the blue or black things holding the paper roll, that they are not correctly snapped in. That happens when you use two thingies. No problem with the smaller cores where you only use one disk / thing

Note this is the same problem as here I think https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=143037.0

Impossible, at least on my 44" HPs,  if the gap between the paper and the blue line at the front is too wide (the line sensor measures that at the head carriage route) it will report a flawed paper loading.  If the line sensor paper edge measurement is accepted in the firmware the head will start to print beyond 5mm of that measurement, only borderless will start at the edge. Tolerance between what is accepted or not will be within 2mm in my experience. Vertical print margin at the right side near the paper's leading edge always at 5mm, which can widen or shrink on the first meters of the roll, it is only after some meters that the paper path is more fixed.

What really could be hardware issues are: the line sensor not being fixed properly to the carriage,  something white reflecting from the printerbed that is not the paper roll, non consistent sensor readings on the encoder strip. Quite unlikely to happen on two printers at the same time.

Nora_nor

Happend on z6, just like the opening post wrote. And the error the printer gave was rewind motor to some nonsense. Issue was the thing not snapped in correctly but support did not get that idea
Pages: [1]   Go Up