Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon GP-E2/ other gps device opinions wanted  (Read 938 times)

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
Canon GP-E2/ other gps device opinions wanted
« on: September 03, 2023, 02:31:24 am »

I like to have gps coordinates in some of my images. Especially if I am scouting for potential locations, that way I can return to the spot on a future date when conditions are better etc. I use the Canon Camera Connect App with my phone and it works pretty well most of the time...with some annoyances though. The app/phone and camera (EOS R) sometimes disconnect for a moment, and it may take a few moments for it to reconnect. Sometimes, I have to go into the app and then it will reconnect. Small annoyances, but annoying to me nonetheless.

So, I am investigating options and have been looking at the GP-E2 and the Solmeta GMAX-EOS2 and would like to hear any opinions on either, and especially comparisons of either to using the app/phone combination concerning connectivity etc.

Are there any other alternatives to the GP-E2? I would probably stick with the Canon unless another offered a definite advantage.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/info.

MDL_SD

Re: Canon GP-E2/ other gps device opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 10:43:02 am »

My Sony camera lacks GPS, so I use an app on my phone (GPS Tracks) to save a location log. I then download that log as a GPX file to my computer, import it into the map module in Lightroom Classic and finally tag the photos by acquisition time. As long as the time on my phone and camera are synchronized it works wonderfully.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 10:55:30 am »

My Sony camera lacks GPS, so I use an app on my phone (GPS Tracks) to save a location log. I then download that log as a GPX file to my computer, import it into the map module in Lightroom Classic and finally tag the photos by acquisition time. As long as the time on my phone and camera are synchronized it works wonderfully.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to use a similar app, but I really like the ability to have the location info written to the file in camera as I am pressing the shutter.  I know....I am lazy.... :)

Harold Clark

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 10:03:42 am »

I have used the Canon GP-E2 for a number of years, it has been extremely reliable. I have one industrial client who requires GPS data on all photos which is the reason I bought it.

It also embeds altitude, compass bearing and Greenwich time in the raw file. Just turn it on, wait for a connection, then forget about it.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 10:34:38 am »

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up