Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L-mount Wide angle prime or zoom for Art repro  (Read 747 times)

Wheathin21

L-mount Wide angle prime or zoom for Art repro
« on: August 16, 2023, 06:53:50 pm »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a L-mount wide angle prime or zoom for art reproduction. I often have to photograph loose work on paper, water colors, graphite, charcoal, chalk pastel pieces. I have a copy stand that I use, and its difficult to photograph larger works with my 55mm nikkor-micro (which is an excellent lens), and my 28mm f2.8 ais just isn't cutting it on my s1r. Ideally, I'm looking for a wide lens, 28mm or wider, prime or zoom, with flat field of focus, neutral color rendering, low distortion and vignette, and near macro focusing distance. Currently I'm looking at Panasonic Lumix S 14-28mm F4-5.6 MACRO or Sigma 24mm F3.5 dg dn contemporary.

The difficulty is that most reviews I find online don't test the aspects I care about. Does anyone have any experience with these lenses or recommend something else? I'm open to other L mount lenses under 1000 or adapting manual focus SLR lenses that have the performance I need.

gkroeger

Re: L-mount Wide angle prime or zoom for Art repro
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 07:52:39 pm »

For the best image quality, you may want to investigate using a manual aperture enlarging lens... Nikon and Rodenstock produced 28's for making large prints... you would need some kind of focusing helicoid.

Wheathin21

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 01:27:09 am »

For the best image quality, you may want to investigate using a manual aperture enlarging lens... Nikon and Rodenstock produced 28's for making large prints... you would need some kind of focusing helicoid.
That sounds like more work that I'd like to invest. I'm wanting either a manual focus DSLR lens that I can easily adapt or an L mount lens.

Paul_Roark

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 12:41:26 pm »

I've used both enlarging lenses and macro lenses for copying slides and negatives.  I prefer a good macro lens that is designed, in part, for close focusing.   Also, a longer lens will often be better and easier to use.  My Canon 100L mm macro (which I mount on a Sony) is sitting next to my monitor, which I use as the light source (way out of focus and/or with a diffusion sheet).

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up