Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Capture One Q&A

Exporting to Adobe Camera RAW to use Super Resolution.

(1/3) > >>

Dinarius:
I have been exporting from C1 and using Edit With Photoshop in PSD a lot. It's very useful for some things.

I've only just tried using this export command to try out ACR's new(ish) Super Resolution enlarging feature.

When the export dialog appears, you have to change the file type from the PSD default to .dng. This will open the file in ACR.

Now, after you use Enhance to enlarge the file to 200%, choose Open to send it back to PS. Then File/Save and choose .dng to put it back in C1.

I've compared the following three 200% enlargements at 100%.

1. File enlarged to 200% by Super Resolution.
2. File exported from C1 @ 200%
3. File exported from C1 at 100% and the enlarged to 200% in PS via Image/Image Size/Preserve Details 2.0.

The difference between Super Resolution and the other two is considerable.

Would be interested to hear other views.

Also, would be interested to hear comparisons with third-party enlargement plugins, which I don't have.

D.

Rhossydd:
This was discussed a bit two years ago. https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=137874.msg1232218#msg1232218

My experience is still that super resolution doesn't give as good results as simply scaling up in Photoshop.

Jonathan Cross:

--- Quote from: Rhossydd on July 05, 2023, 07:59:42 am ---This was discussed a bit two years ago. https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=137874.msg1232218#msg1232218

My experience is still that super resolution doesn't give as good results as simply scaling up in Photoshop.

--- End quote ---

I use super resolution in LR and remain there for subsequent processing. I print using Canon’s Print and Layout plugin. I use super resolution usually prior to cropping. I am pleased with the results. I am using the latest version of LR. If the previous thread was 2 years ago, perhaps later versions are improved.

Jonathan

Rhossydd:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Cross on July 05, 2023, 10:05:11 am ---If the previous thread was 2 years ago, perhaps later versions are improved.
--- End quote ---
I tried it again today with the latest versions of LR & PS and still see the nasty artefacts SR adds.

Maybe it works for some images, but nothing I've tried looks better.

Dinarius:
After further testing...

The DNG back in C1 is not super sized, though it has the filename Enhanced-SR.

The PSD back in C1 is super sized. However, it is slightly darker than the original RAW and the DNG (which are identical) and there is a noticeable colour shift - less saturation and duller.

Apart from Enhanced SR, I am making no edits in ACR. My intention is to do these back in C1. But, if I can't fix this darkening/colour issue, I'm stuck.

D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version