Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ball head and tripod recommendations?  (Read 4519 times)

macdaddy

• http://www.accidentallyexposed.net
Ball head and tripod recommendations?
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:41:35 am »

I'm using a Bogen now with their 3265 "pistol grip", but it's too light even for my Olympus E-1 with a standard lens. Suggestions? I'd like to keep the whole package costs under $700.

Rob
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose y

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:09:46 am »

Hi!

I have a Velbon Carmagne 630 (same as the sherpa). I have too heads, an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead and a Really Right Stuff BH 40. I use it with a 400/4.5 lens and up to 2X converters. This combination is much lighterer then what would be recommended for a long and heavy telephoto like mine, but it works for me.

I plan to buy a Gitzo 1325, next time I go to US. They are far to expensive here in Sweden.

The version of RRS BH-40 I have is with LRII level type quick release clamp, and this is the ,ain advantage over the Acratech. I think that I would actually prefer a combination of the Acratech and the LRII plate.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/index.html
http://www.acratech.net/

Best regards

Erik

I'm using a Bogen now with their 3265 "pistol grip", but it's too light even for my Olympus E-1 with a standard lens. Suggestions? I'd like to keep the whole package costs under $700.

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95666\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:19:26 am »

I use a feisol CT3401 carbon fibre tripod, acratech leveling base and kirk BH-3.  This is a pretty reasonably priced combination and works very well.

I might get the RRS BH-40 or the acratech ultimate ball head if I had to do it again but the kirk has worked well and given me no grief.

phopia

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:44:34 am »

Rob

I use an old Gitzo reporter and a Manfrotto ball head, not as smooth as the expensive stuff but it works everytime....

NYRich

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:53:36 am »

Rob

Rob,

I've been using a Giottos GB3150 legset with a Kirk BH3 head with good success over the past few months. No problems at all with Nikon film bodies and lenses up to 300mm.

Total price was about $500. If your upper limit is $700 you can upgrade to a heavier legset or a BH1 head and still have a few dollars left over.

Rich
Rich

nma

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 09:30:20 am »

Rob

I also suggest you give the Feisol 3401 and Acratech "Ulitmate" ball head serious consideration.  I bought the Feisol direct from the manufacturer in Taiwan and immediately received an email with a jpeg of the shipping papers and 2 days later it was at my door! Better service than I receive form US suppliers. Cost about $180. The 3401 is a four section CF tripod that folds down so that it can go in checked luggage. In combo with the Acratech head it weighs around 3 lb. I have set it up in streams, sand, rain, snow and cold. Had it for almost 2 years now, with no problems.
It is quite stable with 5D and 70-300 DO. No experience with longer lenses.

Also, keep in mnd that you will want and need a quick release plate (~ $50) made specifically for your camera body. This not only improves convenience, it also ensures that the body will not rotate around the mounting screw on the tripod.  Don't leave home without it.  And I strongly recommend that it be of the Arca Swiss style.  While the user reviews of the Feisol are uniformly good, not everyone likes the Acratech Ultimate ball head. The reason is not that it is poorly made or droops, but some find it hard to set up because it can take 2 rotations, tilt and pan, to get it in the right position. I like mine  a lot.  No problems.

Now, the caveats. I have never owned a Gitzo which is thought to be standard against which all others a judged. The Feisol is not that good, but it less than 1/2 the cost and it serves the needed functionality. If I were a pro who used my tripod every day in harsh conditions, I would surely get the Gitzo. But, as I wrote above, it has already demonstrated that it is up to the task for my use, travel and hiking.

Hope this helps with your decision

ceyman

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 05:46:07 pm »

I just went to the Feisol site & saw their compact tripod & head deal.  http://feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

For $330 including shipping I couldn't pass it up.  I've been looking for a lightweight tripod & head to carry on hikes.  Paypal had good history for them so I sent my money to the orient.

I'll write in when (if?) it arrives & give a report.  

carl

davaglo

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:56:55 pm »

I have the Feisol 3301(carbon fiber) used with the RR BH40.  The largest lens I use is the Cannon 70-200 F2.8 IS. I'm very pleased with this set-up. When I ordered direct from Tiwan it came within 3-4 days as Express mail. I was impressed.

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:57:53 pm by davaglo »
jrg

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:35:21 am »

I use a manfrotto 055 with a 468 head (i ordered the 486 and they mixed it up),
it's cheap and rock solid although it can get heavy on a long day. It's supposed to
take 12kgs but it can support my weight (it has when i fell in a river).