Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would I be happy?  (Read 909 times)

Jonathan Cross

Would I be happy?
« on: June 21, 2023, 05:15:05 pm »

We went last week to Belfast, Northern Ireland, for 5 nights.  It was not a photographic trip with mirrorless camera, tripod, filters etc, and time to set up and wait for the moment. It was a travel trip where images could be given some thought, but not take much time; photography is not a spectator sport!  Rather than take a dedicated camera, I decided to just take my iPhone 12 Pro.

Would I be happy with the results?

I do my processing in LR and have played with super-resolution for iPhone images so that I could crop in when I really needed a longer lens.  In the main I have been happy.  In Belfast the iPhone lenses were nearly always all I needed.  However, we went to the north coast with its scenery and basalt at the Giant's Causeway.  Using the x2 lens was OK for a general shot, but not if I wanted basalt details in cliffs some way distant.  I shot RAW, came home and put all my images into LR.  When I felt I wanted to crop I used super resolution.  Attached are 2 images, one as seen by the iPhone and the other is a crop of the super resolution version of the first image.  I wanted to show what myth sometimes calls the basalt Finn's organ pipes.  Others see a lion's head with the basalt being the teeth and the nose and eyes above.

I am happy with the outcome.  Would I just take the iPhone on a similar trip? Yes I would.  Would I get rid of my mirrorless cameras and lenses?  No, I will not.  There is a place for both for me.

Anyone else going through this internal debate?  I am not sure any professional photographer is, but enthusiasts may.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Jonathan Cross

Re: Would I be happy?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 05:16:44 pm »

Tried, but failed to add a second image - here it is!
Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up