Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Site  (Read 1032 times)

Mark Nadler

Updating Site
« on: June 17, 2023, 07:53:35 pm »

I find the headings where members of this site can post images to be both limiting and clumsy.  I think the owner(s) of this site should update the themes where members can post.  For example, architecture, landscape, nature, portrait, abstracts, etc.  I would like to hear from other members if they agree with me and suggest a revised list of headings.

Mark

JoshReichmann

Re: Updating Site
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 12:19:51 pm »

Agree.
And right on time for our personal gallery roll out.
Our current forums topics will always be shifting and ann unending catagory space might be useful for a time but will get combersom or equally limiting.
So! Our gallery allows sharing - tagging - and unique spaces for way better image threads.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 03:38:50 pm »

I think the new gallery roll-out will be very interesting and a great experiment. Mark, if you have some ideas for threads, why don't we get a thread going with suggested threads? ??? Maybe we could find a consensus amongst the forum members. For example, the five you mentioned are a good start. I think, but I don't know, Josh would appreciate the input.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 04:09:24 pm »

In addition to the ones listed and the Street that already exists I would add one for Macro and another to collect Miscellany, ie images that don't fit ; perhaps sport, journalism and others I'm not thinking of that might not get enough to have separate headings

Mark Nadler

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 06:21:28 pm »

mcbroomf, I agree with a need for a macro category.  I also agree with Josh that we can have too many categories.  However, I think currently we have too few categories that sometimes makes posting images to this site clumsy.  So, here is my starter list:

1. Landscape (includes seascape)
2. Nature
3. Macro
4. Street
5. Structures (buildings, homes, bridges, monuments)
6. Portraits (Loosely defined)
7. Open category

Relative to our current offerings, we drop the landscape/nature category, add macro, structures, portraits and open.

What else can we add or combine?  Anything else we should drop?

Josh, I think you also need to figure out a way of getting more viewers to participate in the site other than viewing an image.  I wonder if you gave viewers the option of anonymously providing feedback more members would be willing to comment.   

Bozzdivine

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 08:40:57 am »

I totally agree with you that there's room for updating the categories to make image posting more intuitive. Your starter list is a great launching pad. I'd also suggest adding a 'Still Life' category. It could encompass anything from food to product photography and beyond, and it doesn't seem to fit neatly into any of the other categories.

In terms of encouraging participation, I think your idea of anonymous feedback could be beneficial. It might lower the barrier for those who might feel a bit shy or unsure about commenting.

Another idea could be to feature a 'Photo of the Week/Month' selected from member submissions. This could stimulate discussion and drive more interaction.

Mark Nadler

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 02:40:00 pm »

Bozzdivine, I agree with you "still life" category.  Think also about combining categories or imagining higher order descriptors.  We don't want categories that receive just an occasional post.  This is why I combined buildings, bridges, houses, etc. into a single category.  I think your idea of members selecting a single favorite each week would generate a lot of participation.

mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up