Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jacob Hamlin Arch  (Read 520 times)

Bart1963

Jacob Hamlin Arch
« on: September 05, 2023, 06:35:28 am »

Planning a trip to parts of the Southwest in upcoming december. Staying in Escalante for three nights.
Searched the internet and there is a route from the Hurricane Wash trailhead wich is 7 miles to the arch. I know there is a shortcut but that involves using a rope to get in and out of Coyote Gulch close to the arch but i don't think that is a good idea to do alone. So the hike from Hurricane Wash is 7 miles wich is about 2,5 - 3 hours one way. But has anyone done this? Is it difficult to drive to Hurricane Wash trailhead? And difficult to get into Coyote Gulch?

B-Ark

Re: Jacob Hamlin Arch
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 07:05:56 am »

I did that hike many years ago - so based on  my imperfect memory ...
The Hole-in-the-Rock road should be fine up to the trailhead and doable by the average car. It may get 'washboardy', so just take it slow, so you don't shake your molars loose. I don't remember any significant obstacles on the hike - the trail is relatively level and no major ups or downs. You'll be stopping to take photos every 1oo yards, so it may take longer than you think. December will be cool and chance of rain or snow, but with the crazy weather the world is experiencing, expect anything. If you want to try a "warm-up" hike, check out zebra slot -shorter, easier, and worth it.

First image is from Hurricane Wash, and second from Coyote Gulch

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gristmill/2666865819/in/album-72157605553523620/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gristmill/2636362242/in/album-72157605553523620/

Bart1963

Re: Jacob Hamlin Arch
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 03:27:09 am »

Maybe indeed it is a little too much for one day. I really would like to see Jacob Hamlin's arch but i have two full days there. Not that much. Depends on the weather. I remember doing Cloud's Rest in Yosemite and that was not a very difficult hike for me. But the weather is leading. If there is snow i might not even make it to the trailhead. Luckily there are more options in that area. I will rent a 4 x 4 anyways so i am prepared. Bring crampons or Yaktrax but hiking to the arch on that would not be smart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up