Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop "Home screen" upon launch  (Read 736 times)

Peano

• Radiant Pics
Photoshop "Home screen" upon launch
« on: November 22, 2023, 08:42:36 pm »

Here's a puzzle I can't solve. I'm running Photoshop 25.1.0. When I launch it, instead of getting my default workspace, I get the Home screen with something about cloud files. I have to click the PS icon at top left to get to my workspace.

I've tried (repeatedly) going into Interface Preferences (General) and unticking "Auto show the Home screen." But it doesn't stick. If I close PS and reopen, I get the Home screen, and that box has been re-ticked.

BUT: If I launch PS "as an administrator," it opens, as it should, in my default workspace. And the unticked "Auto show Home screen" remains unticked.

So I'm stumped. Any ideas on how to get rid of that Home screen regardless of how I launch PS?

EDIT: I also notice that other selections in Preferences don't stick. For instance I tick the second internal drive, D:, as a scratch disk. But that is unticked the next time I launch PS. But if I open PS "as an administrator," all of those preferences remain in effect.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 09:16:50 pm by Peano »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Photoshop "Home screen" upon launch
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 12:39:53 pm »

You kind of answered your question:
If I launch PS "as an administrator," it opens, as it should,

But anyway, this might help:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/required-permissions-for-photoshop0.html
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 02:42:20 pm »

But anyway, this might help:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/required-permissions-for-photoshop0.html

Thanks. My local user account is an administrator. But I set read/write permissions for "Everyone" on the drive designated as a scratch disk, and also for all directories where PS saves images. But the problem persists. I never had any problem when using CS6 (which I still use on this machine). It launches normally and saves to the same directories as the new CC version. So I'm guessing that this problem is somehow related to the CC status of PS25.

Note there are really two problems: 1) the Home screen appearing at every startup, and 2) the preference settings not staying put.

It's a minor nuisance to have to run PS as an administrator every time I launch it, but I suppose I'll just put up with it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 03:41:26 pm »

Sorry, I can't comment on why Admin isn't sticky. What OS?

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 04:58:11 pm »

Sorry, I can't comment on why Admin isn't sticky. What OS?
Windows 11 Home, version 23H2.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 05:58:45 pm »

Windows 11 Home, version 23H2.
Sorry, Mac guy since 1988, no idea how to deal with Admin issues under Win.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 06:37:24 pm »

Thanks. My local user account is an administrator. But I set read/write permissions for "Everyone" on the drive designated as a scratch disk, and also for all directories where PS saves images. But the problem persists. I never had any problem when using CS6 (which I still use on this machine). It launches normally and saves to the same directories as the new CC version. So I'm guessing that this problem is somehow related to the CC status of PS25.

Note there are really two problems: 1) the Home screen appearing at every startup, and 2) the preference settings not staying put.

It's a minor nuisance to have to run PS as an administrator every time I launch it, but I suppose I'll just put up with it.

This looks like only one issue as the home screen staying up is part of the preferences

The file location for the latest version is ussually C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2024\Adobe Photoshop 2024 Settings

There are many possible causes why it does not update the file, even the antivirus configuration. Check if the file is being updated or if you can set that folder to read/write in the security settings.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 07:09:44 pm »

There are many possible causes why it does not update the file, even the antivirus configuration. Check if the file is being updated or if you can set that folder to read/write in the security settings.
Well bless my soul ... and BLESS YOUR HEART! That was it. I went into that directory and maxed out security permissions on the Prefs file and most of the other .psp files. Bingo! All the settings in UI Preferences now stick. The Home screen is gone, and other settings (scratch disks, crosshair in brush, etc.) are holding firm.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  ;D ;D ;D

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 09:18:04 pm »

You're very welcome! I'm glad it works now.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 10:23:50 pm »

One residual puzzle: The (now solved) problem occurred only when I launched PS from my local account (UserD). It didn't occur if I specified "run as administrator" when launching PS. I don't understand why the latter made a difference, because my local account was created as an administrator account. It would seem (though apparently I'm mistaken) that I'm already running everything "as administrator." I suppose this goes with the Byzantine architecture of Windows (and everything else that Microsoft produces).  ::)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 10:28:14 pm by Peano »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 10:47:54 pm »

Even if your user is an administrator account, the programs don't run with the full privileges. When you select "run as administrator" from an account with administrator privileges, then it is unrestricted.

For security purposes, it is recommended not to "Run as Administrator" by default.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 11:22:49 pm »

Even if your user is an administrator account, the programs don't run with the full privileges. When you select "run as administrator" from an account with administrator privileges, then it is unrestricted.

For security purposes, it is recommended not to "Run as Administrator" by default.
Thank you! I sort of assumed that when I created an account with "administrator privileges," the grownups in the system were holding something back. I appreciate your help and explanations. Those are hard to come by on forums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up