Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Aquarelle Rag vs Canson Arches Aquarelle Rag  (Read 739 times)

Suzi

Canson Aquarelle Rag vs Canson Arches Aquarelle Rag
« on: May 16, 2023, 12:25:06 pm »

I sent Canson this question too, but wondering if anyone here also knew.

I'm a longtime user of Canson Aquarelle Rag and wanted to make sure it's not being phased out by Arches Aquarelle Rag paper. I bought the Arches version by mistake a while back and discovered that it's actually a different paper. They are both still listed on Canson's site, but I'm having trouble finding the non-arches version in 17x22" which makes me nervous :/

Anyone have the scoop or know where I can buy some non-arches Aquarelle in 17x22"?

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
Re: Canson Aquarelle Rag vs Canson Arches Aquarelle Rag
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 01:33:33 pm »

They still list it on their website:

Canson Aquarelle Rag

and 17 x 22 shows as being available. We get their price lists and it's no longer on the price list, so it may be being discontinued. A call to them would clarify the issue - 212-683-6990.

Tony

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 07:29:53 pm »

It’s probably discontinued. The Arches version is vastly superior in my experience.

They still list it on their website:

Canson Aquarelle Rag

and 17 x 22 shows as being available. We get their price lists and it's no longer on the price list, so it may be being discontinued. A call to them would clarify the issue - 212-683-6990.

Tony

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 04:11:31 am »

I sent Canson this question too, but wondering if anyone here also knew.

I'm a longtime user of Canson Aquarelle Rag and wanted to make sure it's not being phased out by Arches Aquarelle Rag paper. I bought the Arches version by mistake a while back and discovered that it's actually a different paper. They are both still listed on Canson's site, but I'm having trouble finding the non-arches version in 17x22" which makes me nervous :/

Anyone have the scoop or know where I can buy some non-arches Aquarelle in 17x22"?

Canson Infinity Aquarelle Rag is discontinued. The replacement is Canson Infinity Arches Aquarelle Rag. If you really like it, just buy every roll you can still find.

a brief history of CI's aquarelle:
2008-2016 Arches Aquarelle Rag, made in Arches, very rough
2016-2021 Aquarelle Rag, made in St. Cuthberts (UK), regular cold press
2021-now  Arches Aquarelle Rag, made in Arches (w/ ultra white coating), slightly rough, bright white

First edition is my favorite, natural texture and natural paper tint. I don't like second edition. New Arches Aquarelle's texture is kind of regular than old one, it has a strong directionality and looks different in horizontal/vertical.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 04:10:47 pm »

The old Canson version looked like a fake machine texture to me. None of clients would use it. We all love the new Arches version which looks more like a real organic feel mound made texture.

All those new Arches papers are an improvement to me. It’s too bad they are so damn expensive.

John

quote author=MfAlab link=topic=142474.msg1252824#msg1252824 date=1684397491]
Canson Infinity Aquarelle Rag is discontinued. The replacement is Canson Infinity Arches Aquarelle Rag. If you really like it, just buy every roll you can still find.

a brief history of CI's aquarelle:
2008-2016 Arches Aquarelle Rag, made in Arches, very rough
2016-2021 Aquarelle Rag, made in St. Cuthberts (UK), regular cold press
2021-now  Arches Aquarelle Rag, made in Arches (w/ ultra white coating), slightly rough, bright white

First edition is my favorite, natural texture and natural paper tint. I don't like second edition. New Arches Aquarelle's texture is kind of regular than old one, it has a strong directionality and looks different in horizontal/vertical.
[/quote]

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 09:54:51 pm »

The old Canson version looked like a fake machine texture to me. None of clients would use it. We all love the new Arches version which looks more like a real organic feel mound made texture.
All those new Arches papers are an improvement to me. It’s too bad they are so damn expensive.
John

Agree with that. St. Cuthberts did not do a good job on it. New Arhces aquarelle rag is much better, but I really don't like the super-ultra white coating. That's why the very old Arches version is my favorite. It's a pity Canson did not bring it back.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

Bozzdivine

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 06:03:33 am »

Sometimes, it's tough to adjust when your preferred art materials are no longer readily available. As others have mentioned, it seems like Canson may be phasing out the non-Arches version. But don't lose hope just yet!
Have you tried reaching out to local art supply stores, or even online retailers? They may still have some stock left. Alternatively, you could connect with other artists or forums to see if anyone has any they'd be willing to part with. It's worth a shot!
Good luck with your search. Remember, sometimes change can lead to unexpected improvements in our work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up