Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparing prints for UV fading  (Read 790 times)

Cornfield

Comparing prints for UV fading
« on: May 22, 2023, 07:17:19 am »

Is there a site where the fade performance of different print types can be compared?

I have a project where my client wants a number of prints (48 x 24 inches) that will be displayed in a room with direct sunlight. 

Rand47

Re: Comparing prints for UV fading
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 08:34:20 am »

Is there a site where the fade performance of different print types can be compared?

I have a project where my client wants a number of prints (48 x 24 inches) that will be displayed in a room with direct sunlight.

I think that’s a tall order.   And it would be helpful to have a more precise definition of “print types,” I think.  If you mean paper and ink fade resistance for digital imaging, then Wilhelm Imaging is a good place to start:

http://wilhelm-research.com/

But there are other “types” such as silver gelatin prints, carbon transfer prints, etc. if that’s what you mean by “print types.”

It’s also important to know whether these displayed prints will be glazed or not.  Some glazing will provide better degradation protection than others.  But as far as I know, nothing much will make any print “bullet proof” in direct sunlight - for very long.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 09:13:00 am »

Can you put it behind UV glass? Spray some print shield on it?

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 11:30:46 am »

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/
It's free to join and contains a lot of tests for various paper/ink combinations.

It would also be helpful if you told us what printer, ink and paper you plan on using if you're printing it yourself. Also what the images are i.e B&W, color, graphic, etc. as we may be able to give you more detailed advise.

Paul_Roark

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 11:42:09 am »

I did a lot of fade testing and analysis of others' work in the area.  Wilhelm did excellent work, but I think https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ did the most complete and relevant work.

I do only black and white work for fine art sales.  In the B&W world, carbon is by far the most stable imaging substance.  So, I made an open source, 100% carbon inkset (basically MK and dilutions of it).  See https://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Carbon%20on%20Cotton.pdf .   When put on Arches watercolor paper, it will probably outlast any other inkjet or silver print.

That said, I found virtually none of my purchasers cared about ultimate image stability.   So, I'm now using the best primarily carbon inkset I could make on a satin paper substrate.  See https://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/7800-9800-Glossy-Carbon-Variable-Tone.pdf

For those doing color work, you just have to accept that it'll fade with time and, mostly, light exposure.  However, taking a hint from the inputs in my current, best compromise inkset, above, the best color inkset are now quite good and perfectly acceptable for virtually all normal display conditions.  Direct, sunlight, however, will fade any of them.

Good luck.

FWIW

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Cornfield

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 01:51:09 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I'm initially looking at inkjet or C types in general and comparing test results from respected sources.

I have used Lambda prints in the past with excellent results but I need to compare how they compare with the current best inkjet services for stability to fading from UV.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 12:19:44 am »

View the Aardenburg data on C prints .  There were multiple tests done from samples produced by various labs.
None of those tests held up well with uv exposure. All the white areas especially show a graying out due to the dye brighteners used.

Thanks for the replies.  I'm initially looking at inkjet or C types in general and comparing test results from respected sources.

I have used Lambda prints in the past with excellent results but I need to compare how they compare with the current best inkjet services for stability to fading from UV.

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 04:43:52 am »

For longevity stay away from C prints. They have about the same display life as Canon's best dye inks around 45 years. According to Aardenburg tests the inkjet printers with the best longevity are (in order or light fastness) HP with over 200 years, Epson around 200 years, then Canon with around 150 years. These numbers of course vary with display conditions. Direct sunlight exposure could easily cut these numbers to 1/10.

Depending on the images you might even be able to get away with the lesser image quality, but much better display life, of latex or solvent prints.

Cornfield

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 05:15:56 am »

Many thanks for your assistance and advice.  The Aardenburg archive is really what I was looking for.

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 10:13:37 am »

Actually the current Canon Lucia Pro inks don’t have anywhere near 150 years display life . They actually closer to c prints than any of the other pigment inksets. This is probably why many of us in the fine art print community just can’t go there until they improve that dramatically. It’s a real shame.

You can check the Canson paper page on Wilhelms site to see a direct comparison of all the major inksets on various Canson papers. The behind glass figures for these more recent  Canon inks is appalling. Mark at Aardenburg found the same situation.

You have to realize also that these years of display figures are done at 450 lux ,  sort of average room lighting. Prints hung in public spaces can have much much much more uv exposure that could zap say a type c print in a month or two or six.

Also if they are to be exposed to a lot of uv light avoid any papers containing optical brighteners such as all the rc papers,  and don’t believe the Wilhelm data about papers containing these brighteners because they are just wrong. Aardenburg showed that years ago.

Now the absolute best method of displaying prints in public spaces is to have them laminated with a uv laminate or print on canvas with the super durable acrylic/ latex uv varnish like Timeless.

I have a friend that had a bunch of photo murals printed on gelatin silver rc paper and laminated with a satin uv laminate and shown directly under giant sky lights in Atlanta Airport and they still haven’t faded. That’s after 22 years. I was shocked when I went back to see them. And the normal longevity of rc analogue prints was really bad unlamented .

Satin or gloss laminates are a very good choice for bright public spaces. And you don’t have to buy expensive plexi and they are water and pollution proof.

John

Many thanks for your assistance and advice.  The Aardenburg archive is really what I was looking for.

mearussi

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 12:04:01 pm »

Actually the current Canon Lucia Pro inks don’t have anywhere near 150 years display life . They actually closer to c prints than any of the other pigment inksets. This is probably why many of us in the fine art print community just can’t go there until they improve that dramatically. It’s a real shame.

You can check the Canson paper page on Wilhelms site to see a direct comparison of all the major inksets on various Canson papers. The behind glass figures for these more recent  Canon inks is appalling. Mark at Aardenburg found the same situation.

You have to realize also that these years of display figures are done at 450 lux ,  sort of average room lighting. Prints hung in public spaces can have much much much more uv exposure that could zap say a type c print in a month or two or six.

Also if they are to be exposed to a lot of uv light avoid any papers containing optical brighteners such as all the rc papers,  and don’t believe the Wilhelm data about papers containing these brighteners because they are just wrong. Aardenburg showed that years ago.

Now the absolute best method of displaying prints in public spaces is to have them laminated with a uv laminate or print on canvas with the super durable acrylic/ latex uv varnish like Timeless.

I have a friend that had a bunch of photo murals printed on gelatin silver rc paper and laminated with a satin uv laminate and shown directly under giant sky lights in Atlanta Airport and they still haven’t faded. That’s after 22 years. I was shocked when I went back to see them. And the normal longevity of rc analogue prints was really bad unlamented .

Satin or gloss laminates are a very good choice for bright public spaces. And you don’t have to buy expensive plexi and they are water and pollution proof.

John
Aardenburg test 318 for the Canon Pro 1000 inkset gives a result of 126-175 ML hours on Moab Entrada rag so I split the difference to come up with the aprox 150 years display life, though the inkset does seem to vary radically with the paper (and which is why I still cling to my ipf6400).

Have to seen worse real world results?

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 12:56:25 pm »

Light fading data is one thing, but fade from atmospheric conditions is another. Remember all inkjet media is microporous. Ozone in the air from air cleaners can cause very quick fading. To properly protect the image you must seal the image by framing it under glass, laminating, or spraying the print with a sealant. I have been making a lot of canvas prints for people because you don't have to deal with reflections, and they are relatively light weight in large sizes. Of course I spray all the canvas prints with a sealant (I use Rosco Clear Acrylic  Gloss #5580 diluted 1:1 with water.) In informal south window fade tests,  I saw no visible signs of fade after one year in the window. I print with HP Z3100/3200- for last 20 or so years and only use HP inks.

deanwork

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 07:09:25 pm »

A megalux hour is 1/2 of a year of display so Entrada Natural would be approx 75 Wilhelm years, which is actually very good for that inkset. Most papers are about 10 years less than that. If you don’t mind the slight warmth  of Entrada Natural it’s an excellent choice for all the inks. I really like it myself for bw.  Yea, I really miss my old 8300 for color production stuff. It functioned really well at bidirectional.

Aardenburg test 318 for the Canon Pro 1000 inkset gives a result of 126-175 ML hours on Moab Entrada rag so I split the difference to come up with the aprox 150 years display life, though the inkset does seem to vary radically with the paper (and which is why I still cling to my ipf6400).

Have to seen worse real world results?

Bozzdivine

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 04:38:03 am »

Hello @Cornfield! Great question.
UV fading can indeed be a concern for prints in direct sunlight. As @Rand47 mentioned, Wilhelm Imaging Research provides comprehensive data on the longevity of different print materials. For additional protection, @Ryan Mack's suggestions of UV glass and print shield spray can also help significantly.
Just remember, no solution is foolproof against sunlight over a long period. Regularly rotating the prints or controlling the light exposure might be a beneficial practice.
Good luck with your project!
Pages: [1]   Go Up