Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1000- starting up an old printer  (Read 489 times)

gchappel

Canon 1000- starting up an old printer
« on: April 19, 2023, 07:49:44 pm »

I was given a canon pro-1000 printer.   The good news.
The bad news.   Printer has not been run for over 3 years.  He just turned it off one day and never turned it back on.   
Any ideas or tricks to start it back up?
I was going to shake the cartridges, then just turn it on and see what happens.   Run startup- and print a nozzle check.
I have a full extra set of ink so fingers crossed I can get it going.
gary

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Canon 1000- starting up an old printer
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 06:56:22 am »

Just turn it on it will perfectly maintain itself, it's not an Epson! Don't even think of touching cartridges unless you need to repleace an empty one.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Conner999

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 08:55:48 am »

Be prepared to churn through a LOT of ink as it cleans, tests, etc. If it is low on any carts, have new ones ready because once it gets to an empty cart, everything stops until replaced.

If it had primarily full carts when stopped, just turn it on, have paper handy, keep fingers crossed and wait - it's a slow process. BUT also make sure to have a new waste cart on hand if the existing one is not in good shape. The inks purged for cleaning will fill it fast and again, the process will stop dead if that registers as full at any point.

We're in a not too dissimilar situation.
Our 1000 was left unused for the better part of a year due to C19, etc., (own stupid fault), BUT in our case, most inks were at 10% when last used. We tried restarting and 1 cart emptied after app. 20 minutes of self-clean/diagnostics and it's not one I have on hand.  Almost all other inks are at or below 10% and odds are they will empty (fill tubes) before process over, requiring replacement.  The head was fine, but we don't know how many, if any, ports on it are clogged and thus if it has any available ports remaining before it needs replacement.

A full set of inks is C$950 + waste cart. A new head is also app. C$900 and a new Ipf-1000 is (on sale now) C$1300 with a complete set of inks. So our choices come down to:

a) Buy new ink set, continue process and hope that head can be cleared w/o killing too much ink and all good with head. Out C$950.
b) Do (a) and if fails, buy new printer, use partial inks from old one as spares (or vice versa). Buying new head + ink set not cost effective. Out C$2250 ($950+$1300)
c) Kick self in ass, buy new Ipf (awesome printer), save the 1-2 inks that are in good shape as spares and sell old printer for parts. Out C$1300.

Option C is our likely scenario.  If out inks were all in strong shape, we'd go for A and keep fingers crossed.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:12:42 am by Conner999 »

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 10:14:35 am »

Just turn it on it will perfectly maintain itself, it's not an Epson! Don't even think of touching cartridges unless you need to repleace an empty one.

+1

Canon printers seem to be remarkably good at maintaining themselves and seem to work fine even after extended idle periods (my experience).

Although, that said, I've never left one off for as long as three years.

The only way to know is to turn it on and see what happens.  Print a diagnostic page from the printer and then a printer test image.

Be prepared to buy some maintenance cartridges and some new ink.

A great printer BTW.

gchappel

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 06:02:10 pm »

Thanks all!
I am going out of town for a couple of weeks- so it will sit a little longer. 
I will make sure I have an extra maintenance tank.   Thanks for reminding me of that.
Ill let you know how it goes.
Buying a new printer is not outside the realm of possibilities, but I will give this one a try
gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up