Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler - Problem printing ColorChecker Proof target page  (Read 884 times)

Louie

i1Profiler - Problem printing ColorChecker Proof target page
« on: April 14, 2023, 02:45:50 pm »

I created a new profile for a new paper on my Epson P600. After creating the profile I printed a couple of wide gamut test images through Lightroom (V12). (Gamut_Test_File_Flat.tif and 2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.

These came out with good color rendition.

To double check I decided to try confirming using ColorChecker Proof. I selected ColorChecker Proof from the tools menu and followed the instructions.

Since there were no additional instructions regarding the printer settings I used the same settings as for printing the profile target including turning off color management. However, the colors in  printed target are all off, overly dark. They look double profiles, if I were to hazard a guess.

Does anybody happen to know what the printer settings should be when printing the proof target?

Thanks, Louie 

i1Profiler version 3.6.3.16999
Mac 13.2
Epson SC- P600 Series, Driver Version 12.62

Doug Gray

Re: i1Profiler - Problem printing ColorChecker Proof target page
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 10:03:06 pm »

Hard to say what's happening. Been probably a decade since I used i1Profiler's colorcheck proof but it worked fine then.

What I've done in more recent years is print one of the CC images available. Check Babelcolor to get one that matches what card you currently use. I use Abs. Col. in Photoshop since it's not available in Lightroom.

One thing to be careful of is that it's hard to get accurate results if your paper has any significant amount of OBAs. The proofs are printed using Abs. Col. For instance a typical paper with OBAs will make a CC proof that looks yellowish indoors with a M0 or M1 profile. So proofs are best printed with no OBA paper.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 05:46:10 am »

I used the same settings as for printing the profile target including turning off color management
Does anybody happen to know what the printer settings should be when printing the proof target?
If you're proofing the profile isn't it pretty obvious you need to print the chart with it ?

Louie

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 10:06:04 am »

Hard to say what's happening. Been probably a decade since I used i1Profiler's colorcheck proof but it worked fine then.

What I've done in more recent years is print one of the CC images available. Check Babelcolor to get one that matches what card you currently use. I use Abs. Col. in Photoshop since it's not available in Lightroom.

One thing to be careful of is that it's hard to get accurate results if your paper has any significant amount of OBAs. The proofs are printed using Abs. Col. For instance a typical paper with OBAs will make a CC proof that looks yellowish indoors with a M0 or M1 profile. So proofs are best printed with no OBA paper.

Thanks for the feedback. I think my problem is primarily with the confusing and unpredictable new Print setup in MacOS 13 (Ventura). I am presuming that print function in i1Profiler CC proof print is in fact applying the selected profile to the target before sending to the printer. So even though I thought I had turned off CM in the Epson driver and saved it in a preset, I suspect it "reverted" the Default that uses Color Mode "EPSON Standard (sRGB). That would certainly muck up the final print.

The new printer settings presets seem to randomly reset to Default. So for now, I have had to manually set the Print Options every time I make print in i1Profiler, Lightroom and Photoshop. 

I cannot figure out how to make and use a preset or even have settings persist. Even within Lightroom if I set the Print Options by using the "Print Settings..." button in the Print Module those settings disappear when I click the "Printer..." button. In addition recalling a preset anywhere doesn't actually change Print Options, etc..

Since my original post I upgraded to 13.3.1 which thankfully does fix the LR crash when clicking the "Page Setup..." button. I was hoping it would fix these other problems but sadly not.

The paper in question in RedRiver Palo Duro Satin and it does contain some OBAs. From the product description: "it contains minimal optical brighteners in the base stock and none in the coating". After making of my print settings the printed CCproof target is very close to the test chart. However, I do see what is probably the effect of the OBAs as you describes. Makes you wonder what RedRiver means by "minimal".

-louie

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 02:30:18 pm »

Sounds like the usual buggy issue with Ventura and it not using the Apple SPI to properly control the ColorSync Radio button. Gotta check it every time you print until Apple fixes that mess. Sometimes it works and often it doesn't.
That said, this i1P option isn't very useful if you would rather look a output from color reference files.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Louie

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 03:49:19 pm »

Sounds like the usual buggy issue with Ventura and it not using the Apple SPI to properly control the ColorSync Radio button. Gotta check it every time you print until Apple fixes that mess. Sometimes it works and often it doesn't.

Yes this is certainly my experience. Thanks for verifying this. I guess that I'm not totally surprised that it is happening at the nexus of three big complicated software applications, MacOS, Adobe Lightroom and Epson raster engine. At least Apple did fix the Lightroom crash when clicking the "Page Setup..." button.

For now I will simply revert to "always" using the "Printer..." button initiate printing and double checking the settings. This is probably a good strategy anyway to ensure that they are exactly how they should be.

I also always check the Print Job - Color Management tab to make sure I have the correct profile and rendering intent.

That said, this i1P option isn't very useful if you would rather look a output from color reference files.

Yea I know, but I just like to try stuff and see how it works. It's kind of like using a shotgun instead of a rifle for target practice. At least I learned some things about  the state of the printing systems.

And yes, thanks for your color reference files. I have used these for a while now. They are much more sensitive to problems in the CM/printing workflow. Tracking down problems is still challenging but at least you can see clearly whether everything is working or not.

-louie
Pages: [1]   Go Up