Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: what to call a digital print and why is there no standard?  (Read 3188 times)

cbcbell

• cbcampbell.com
Re: what to call a digital print and why is there no standard?
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2023, 05:15:07 pm »

I have a background in art history and am a regular visitor to New York's Museum of Modern Art, and took careful note of their nomenclature for prints a number of years ago. Happily, it lines up quite nicely with several other institutions and authorities. For inkjet prints:

MoMA: pigmented inkjet print
Henry Wilhelm: pigment inkjet print on paper, or dye inkjet print
Tom Ashe: pigment inkjet print
Philadelphia Museum of Art: pigment print

I label a print from my Canon Pro-4000 as a "pigment inkjet print." In dating, I like to make the distinction between the date of the image capture, and the date of the print, e.g. 2013 (image file); 2018 (pigment inkjet print).

Christopher Campbell

cbcampbell.com
dispersions.cbcampbell.com
Instagram: @studiocampbell
Vimeo: /studiocampbell

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2023, 10:04:44 pm »

My Dad exhibited in the “Photographic Salons” of the 1930s. In those salons, which were juried by like minded photographers, it was understood ( perhaps required), that the photographer was also the print maker. Perhaps because the photographers wanted to emulate the art museums descriptions “oil on canvas”, etc,  EVERY PRINT in the salon catalogue listed the “process” as  “Bromide print”, “Chloride print”, or “Chlorobromide” print. My dad died an accidental death at age 29, when I was three. My Mom saved many salon catalogues with my father’s name and acceptances in it. I treasure these as you can imagine.
I do sell my prints from time to time and if asked I usually use “Archival Pigment Photographic Print”
Dave in NJ

Suzi

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2023, 12:18:45 pm »

I always say "Archival Inkjet Print" and will sometime include "from digital file" or "from 35mm negative" etc since I shoot digital and multiple formats of analog.

I like including "Inkjet" because when we look back at prints in museums they are very specific about what printing process they are using, so I don't think we should obscure that! This is why I dislike terms like "digital C print" because they are very imprecise about process.

I strongly dislike giclee because it feels like a way to trick people not in the fine art community. I was so mad when I learned that it just meant Inkjet lol

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2023, 03:16:33 pm »

I don't have a problem with digital C print - chromogenic colour couplers, not exposed in an enlarger. Year of print can give a discerning collector a hint as to the longevity of the purchase.

As a print provider I have mixed feelings about Giclee - loath the term, but I charge 20% extra for the additional time it takes to find the French keyboard from the cupboard, to write the invoice.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2023, 05:26:45 am »

I charge 20% extra for the additional time it takes to find the French keyboard from the cupboard, to write the invoice.
On Windows at least, alt-0233 for lowercase é or alt-0201 uppercase É (which is NOT on a French keyboard because, being French, well we're French) does the trick - you can still charge the 20% and I'll take a 5% commission on the profit generated.

For the so far uncontrolled appellations, I'll let the curators decide.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2023, 10:56:36 am »

On Windows at least, alt-0233 for lowercase é or alt-0201 uppercase É . . . does the trick . . .

On MacOS, hold down any key whose ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) character set includes diacritics and the operating system will pop up a selection for you to choose from.  It looks like the attached screen capture.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2023, 06:38:57 am »

How did I not know that!

Still don't like giccle prints.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2023, 05:32:05 pm »

Just call them giggle prints.  :-)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up