Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Displaying 4 deckle-edged prints  (Read 475 times)

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
Displaying 4 deckle-edged prints
« on: April 09, 2023, 06:52:55 pm »

I dunno why but I enjoy printing on deckle-edge paper. I have one set of prints that I floated over a colored back mat with a bit of separation provided by a hidden 4ply mat in between them. There were five images that I framed arranged in a line going up a staircase.

Now I've got another 4 image set I'm thinking about printing on deckle-edge paper.  Not sure if it will be A2 or A3 yet, high-key B&W. Likely for a corporate office installation with budget for framing and lighting installation. I am interested in any other ideas for presenting these.

Thanks, Ryan
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:07:26 am by Ryan Mack »

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: Displaying 4 deckle-edged prints
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 07:29:35 am »

I like that look too. 

Just curious....how did you attach the print - hidden mat - back mat combo?

:Niranjan.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 07:52:06 am »

I dry-press mounted an extra layer of mat board (slightly smaller than the print) to the colored back mat. I then dry press mounted the artwork onto the hidden mat. In order to prevent the edges of the smaller hidden mat from embossing themselves onto the print I put other pieces of mat board around the small mat so it was larger than the image while pressing it.

I wouldn't do only a single edge. You can either buy paper that is the right size for your image or you can use something like the Dual Edge Ripper to tear your own paper. There's also the old "fold the edges, wet them, keep folding them back and forth, then tear them" method.

I don't like having a straight image edge on deckle paper, so I only print things that have a pure white edge color (naturally or by adding some sort of natural looking white edge to the image).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:07:18 am by Ryan Mack »

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 08:13:53 am »

Interesting.  Thanks for the details.  I am thinking of doing something similar to my alt process prints.  For example I dry-mounted one straight on a cold-pressed water color paper functioning as the backing.

It would be nice if I raised it up a bit with a mat in between.  Little bit more work though....

:Niranjan.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 08:08:16 pm by nirpat89 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up