Poll

What happens if I remove the rollers toothed to have no more pizza wheel marks??

Epson p800 remove pizza signs
- 0 (0%)
Epson p800 remove rolls
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson p800 remove pizza wheel marks  (Read 759 times)

Cutrone

Epson p800 remove pizza wheel marks
« on: March 26, 2023, 05:32:02 pm »

Hi guys I got tired of the marks on my glossy paper prints, on the epson p800. I wanted to ask what happens if I remove the sprockets from the printer? I'm sick of I'm sick of loading paper from the cardstock door. I would also like to print some A4 hahnemühle photo rag baryta , but dal specialty media trays obviously can't or it jams , or use the rear tray but I'll have those terrible tooth stripes ... thanks to whoever wants to answer me .
p.s I tried everything, platen gap, drying head ,I cleaned the rollers ,etc.
 I want to know if I can take those damn sprockets off, and what I'm getting into
Silvano Cutrone

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
Re: Epson p800 remove pizza wheel marks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 09:55:49 am »

The star wheels hold the paper down and are necessary to prevent head strikes (a new print head for the P800 is over $800.00 plus labor). A big difference between the P800 and the P5000 is that the P5000 has a vaccuum hold down, so no star wheel marks.

You could try a delay between passes to allow the ink time to dry:

Drying Time per Print Head Pass
Pauses print head movement for up to 5 seconds after each pass to allow ink to dry. This lets you
print with non-Epson media and avoid smearing the ink.

Tony

Cutrone

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 11:29:34 am »

The star wheels hold the paper down and are necessary to prevent head strikes (a new print head for the P800 is over $800.00 plus labor). A big difference between the P800 and the P5000 is that the P5000 has a vaccuum hold down, so no star wheel marks.

You could try a delay between passes to allow the ink time to dry:

Drying Time per Print Head Pass
Pauses print head movement for up to 5 seconds after each pass to allow ink to dry. This lets you
print with non-Epson media and avoid smearing the ink.

Tony

TONY thanks I'm doing some tests on hahnemühle fine art baryta is finally gone, I attach a photo of the settings they recommended to me
Silvano Cutrone

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 08:57:25 am »

We had the issue with our Epson 3800. We tried every remedy that a human could come up with, from changing papers to dampening the backs of same and all the settings and home remedies inbetween. No joy.

Deciding there was nothing to lose, I removed the PWs and it DID stop the PW marks, but then the papers (various types), swelling/deforming under ink load, started contacting the plastic bits above the travel path JUST enough to leave faint scratches parallel to paper travel.
Best of luck, but we only resolved the issue by moving to the Canon ipf 1000 w/vacuum hold-down. I'd NEVER own any printer w/o it again.

johnstra

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 09:38:58 am »

Hi everyone. I normally just lurk about here but I had to reply to this. I have had a P800 for five years. I print on Baryta papers and matte papers up to A2. I mostly use Fotospeed papers, which are a UK brand, but have also used Hahnemulle and others. I have never seen a pizza wheel mark. So what is going on here? Is it a faulty printer or over inking or a particular paper and ink combination? Are you using third party inks? Is anyone else experiencing this problem other than yourself and Cutrone? As a retired engineer I would say that the pizza wheels would not be there if they didn't have a necessary function. So taking them out would probably be a bad idea. As I don't see this problem there has to be something different about your printer/ink/paper.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 10:15:20 am »

We had a 3800 years ago and now for proofs we still have a 3880 and P800. Never had a pizza wheel problem. We have had some different issues when platen settings were too low but all the platen settings are set to the widest and all of the issues have gone away. May have nothing at all to do with your problems, just my results.

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 08:34:29 am »

The conclusion I came to with our 3800 is that it's manufacturing tolerance variations between copies of the same model of printer either in paper handling or clearances.

Of course there are also small cumulative/offsetting variations in papers, images and humidity (in the room) that would come into play that could work with or against any  manufacturing tolerance issue.  That said, in our case and the cases we read of, there was nothing w.r.t to papers, images, humidity, etc., that would fall outside the middle of the bell-curve of what the average user would face.

Many people never have the issue, but some do and if so, it's very  tough, in some cases impossible, to remedy.  NOTHING we tried worked, from the routine to the arcane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up