Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Loyalty Program  (Read 1747 times)

Malcolm Payne

Capture One Loyalty Program
« on: February 14, 2023, 09:20:57 am »

I've just received the email from Capture One with details of their new Loyalty Program. Pretty much as expected and widely discussed in advance, but the potential sting in the tail lies in this footnote (my bold emphasis):

*Capture One may change the terms and benefits included as part of its loyalty program at any point in time. Capture One shall notify affected users in writing no less than 30 days before any change.

Also only to be expected I suppose, but it doesn't offer any assurances for the longer term or even for the five years subscription period required to take full benefit of the new and much-touted off-ramp.

I have a v23 perpetual license so at least have some breathing space until the end of September to decide which way to run with this, but that will be heavily dependent on what C1 brings to the table in the next seven months. I've been a professional user of C1 since v4 and have regularly upgraded in that time, but thus far I've seen nothing in their announcements or roadmap since the licensing changes were announced in December that would convince me to go either way.

benoit@benoitmalphettes.com

• http://Benoit.LA
Re: Capture One Loyalty Program
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 01:26:32 pm »

Likewise…

stevebri

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 08:53:27 am »

For me I just ignored it, I use V.22, don't need ANYTHING from v.23.  I think I've got a good few years before C1 does what Adobe did and suddenly stopped you installing CS6 again, even if you own it.

I still run Lightroom for older things and its fine, until they pull the plug on that too.

C1 won't I think be around for much longer, they are running around like headless chickens, trying to increase revenue streams, whilst kicking sand in the face of the very people who have supported them for 20yrs.

One of the other software companies will make a breakthrough and people will jump ship, think Kodak, Nokia, Blockbuster Video.....

Right now everything C1 does is about them, nothing is done for the customer in my mind.  Their product is no longer as stable as it was, doesn't utilize the full power of our computers yet still they bring out 'bling' features that some like, but most don't.

Rant over, enjoy your Monday.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 04:54:03 am »

yet still they bring out 'bling' features that some like, but most don't.
I think their problem is that none of the recent features are 'bling' at all. They're just the small productivity tweaks to keep their long standing professional/commercial clients on board.

No great advances on anything for years whilst other packages have pushed forward.

I think the recent changes to licensing costs will further drive them into just serving an ever smaller niche market before they eventually go bust.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 10:29:32 am »

I think that loyalty is a two way street and Capture One hasn't done much of it lately. They seem to be focused on an iPad version but who among us really edits clients images on the device? I like the iPad for clients to preview during the shoot while drinking coffee but don't use it to do any heavy lifting. The new owners are merely marketing it and extracting revenue and will likely turn it for a potential profit down the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up