Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorLogic vs iProfiler vs Argyll - opinions  (Read 1438 times)

jejes

ColorLogic vs iProfiler vs Argyll - opinions
« on: March 16, 2023, 07:01:56 pm »

Hello, I’m trying to improve my RGB ICC profile creation. I use Doug 953txt for my iProfiler with DtP70 reader, and I have used Argyll 480patch set with success too.

I have heard that ColorLogic products are far better than these two.

Has anyone tested Copra + Colorant ? I know they are expensive, but i’m trying to have the best workflow for my print section.

Another question. Is better to print in RGB (Wider) or cmyk (smaller but can be linearized in the rip before ICC creation) ?

Thank you for all your help.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: ColorLogic vs iProfiler vs Argyll - opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 08:33:05 pm »

The last version of Copra I tried was like 2.x or something. It's a good product, I don't recall it blowing away or providing anything I couldn't produce in i1Profile. You could see if they'd supply a demo (mine worked off a Dongle but maybe they have one that times out).
Yes, print RGB.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:50:18 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Lessbones

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 06:10:52 pm »

basiccolor used the same engine from colorlogic in their profiling software that they used to produce.  Basiccolor devil in particular had all the multicolor profiling options you could get with copra version 6-7 or something like that before they discontinued it.  I did a lot of testing with it but always ultimately preferred the profiles I would get out of i1profiler.  Basiccolor Improve/ColorANT however is a different story, and can do some amazing things with regard to manipulating the data before it is used to make a profile.  Anecdotally, I had some situations profiling dye-sublimation in which very dark patches would read as deep red instead of neutral (as they looked to the eye, unless under incredibly bright light).  The resulting profiles would come out with all neutrals leaning green--  With these tools I was able to replace the black channel data with something from a more typical medium and get much better neutrality.

jejes

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 06:53:48 pm »

But basiccolor discontinued the printer applications. They suggest to use myiro tools. I don’t know about this software.

Has anyone tested the new copra version ?

Thank you

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 05:52:01 am »

We have been using ColorAnt and CoPra for several years. The software is also partially included in the RIPs we use (https://www.colorgate.com/).

In my opinion one of the best and most flexible products on the market.

Greetings Gerd

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 02:55:43 am »

Hello, I’m trying to improve my RGB ICC profile creation. I use Doug 953txt for my iProfiler with DtP70 reader, and I have used Argyll 480patch set with success too.

I have heard that ColorLogic products are far better than these two.

Has anyone tested Copra + Colorant ? I know they are expensive, but i’m trying to have the best workflow for my print section.

Another question. Is better to print in RGB (Wider) or cmyk (smaller but can be linearized in the rip before ICC creation) ?

Thank you for all your help.

If you are producing ICC profiles for Epson, Canon or HP photo printer which uses RGB profile anyway, just stick with i1Profiler.
Copra is a very powerful color management software, but i1Profiler does make the best (Visually) RGB profile.
I have personally done a lot of comparison with different software, for RGB, just go with i1P.

Copra is more for CMYK and Multi-channel profiles and some other stuff for commercial press printing.

aaron

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 04:19:34 am »

If you are producing ICC profiles for Epson, Canon or HP photo printer which uses RGB profile anyway, just stick with i1Profiler.
Copra is a very powerful color management software, but i1Profiler does make the best (Visually) RGB profile.
I have personally done a lot of comparison with different software, for RGB, just go with i1P.

Copra is more for CMYK and Multi-channel profiles and some other stuff for commercial press printing.

aaron

I prefer CoPrA / CoPrA based MYIROtools perceptual rendering to i1Profiler's, it also have much more options to tune it according to your taste (you can check it in trial). But the software is so expensive it doesn't make sense to pay so much for a marginal difference. I'd only consider to buy MYIRO-1 with MYIROtools instead of i1Pro3 with i1Profiler.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

aaronchan

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 02:17:08 am »

I prefer CoPrA / CoPrA based MYIROtools perceptual rendering to i1Profiler's, it also have much more options to tune it according to your taste (you can check it in trial). But the software is so expensive it doesn't make sense to pay so much for a marginal difference. I'd only consider to buy MYIRO-1 with MYIROtools instead of i1Pro3 with i1Profiler.

Didn't know the MYIROtools is CoPrA based.
Thanks for your input

I haven't use CoPrA since version 3, I bet they must have changed alot.
And Yes, CoPrA is way too expensive if you just purchase it as a software for RGB profiling.
To me, I would still go with the i1Pro and the i1Profiler. Mostly because I can get most of the support from everyone, rather than solving the problem by myself or KM if I have any issue by using the MYIRO. Not saying it is a bad product, but seems like it needs more time to be mature for the market.

Aaron
Pages: [1]   Go Up