Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video primer  (Read 795 times)

Jonathan Cross

Video primer
« on: February 14, 2023, 11:52:17 pm »

There are many cameras that shoot stills and video. I am primarily a stills photographer, but dabble in video, mainly for our church's YouTube channel.  At home we have an HD TV.  When I read reviews, e.g. on DPReview, there are often a lot of terms I do not understand.

Staring at the beginning, there are different codes used for video formats, such as MP4.  Then there are codecs.  More and more I see HD, 4K, 6k and 8k.  I get that these are to do with resolution, but what devices will show these.  8K TVs seem thin on the ground.  I also see comments that to future proof videos, one should shoot in the highest resolution (8K at the moment?) and then downsample for current use.  What software handles these resolutions, and enables downsampling?  What computers will handle these higher resolutions?  What devices will show these higher resolutions?

Moving on, I see comments about cameras that can shoot 8 bit, 10 bit etc.  The codes seem to have 3 numbers separated by full stops.  What do these codes mean?  What computers and software handle these different types of video, and what devices can display them once processed?

It all seems a rapidly changing environment and I feel I am a dummy.  I need a primer to explain it all.  I have written to DPReview and asked if Jordan Drake can do an idiots guide, and all they have said is that they will consider the request. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Video primer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 10:41:20 am »

Have you actually seen 8K video ? If not try to get to a John Lewis or Currys that's demonstrating one of the sets; Yes, impressive detail close up, but move back to take in all of the screen in one view and see if you think it's better than the other decent 4k screens around the store.
IMHO it's overkill and unnecessary.

It's probably best not to get too obsessed by numbers and specs. What makes great video is good content that's well edited. No one will care if it's shot with 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 chroma sub sampling if the sound's muffled or out of sync.
Worth noting that 1080 HD was enough for George Lucas to make Star Wars films with, does your church choir really need more ?

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 12:18:54 pm »

Worth noting that 1080 HD was enough for George Lucas to make Star Wars films with, does your church choir really need more ?

No it does not!  I was interested as I might do more videoing, and I find it a jargon and acronym riddled subject.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 06:22:21 am »

I find it a jargon and acronym riddled subject
That's always going to be the case when first trying to learn a new high tech subject. Especially so if you think that a decent knowledge of still photography means there won't be too much to learn, sadly it only opens the door as much of video tech uses different terms for things you may already know.

Best advice is to get on with making videos with what you already have available. You've a decent video capable camera, iMovie can edit reasonably well, even your smartphone can help as a sound recorder. Make little movies then when you hit problems research and develop your skills.
Pages: [1]   Go Up