Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD C drive upgrade  (Read 804 times)

Cornfield

SSD C drive upgrade
« on: April 10, 2023, 01:22:55 pm »

I have a Windows 10 pc with a 500G SSD.  I want to upgrade this to a 1Tb and have a bootable and seamless transition to the new drive.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: SSD C drive upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 01:57:01 pm »

I've done this a couple of ties with a Samsung drive.  You just need an external enclosure if your motherboard doesn't have 2 slots for SSDs (or if it's a laptop)

The Samsung drives comes with software that will clone your C drive, so just install the dive in the enclosure and run the software.  Once done switch out the drive and check that your PC boots OK.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 03:22:27 pm »

I have a Windows 10 pc with a 500G SSD.  I want to upgrade this to a 1Tb and have a bootable and seamless transition to the new drive.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

Is this an Sata interface or a NVMe interface drive ?
If the latter, i would suggest a 2 Tb drive for higher throughput unless the particular drive has roughly the same controller  I/O Ops  at 1 and 2 Tb.

Win10 may squawk about re-authenticating if this or other hardware has changed a couple times.

Cornfield

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 01:44:00 pm »

I managed to move everything from the old pc by using Laplink PCMover using a cable connection.  It was an easy process and the only issue with Lightroom and Photoshop was having to disconnect the apps from Adobe on
the old pc and then link them on the new pc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up